Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 AM

17 posts, read 32,725 times

Advertisements

Hi all!!

I'll be travelling to NYC for my BFs birthday, thinking of maybe spending around 200-300 a night on accommodation, would love to know which areas would be nice to stay in.
We would like to be in a reasonable walking distance to nice bars/clubs or entertainment areas (about 15min walk).

Also reccommendations on a nice Italian restaurant? Or romantic activities to do in NYC.

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:39 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,472,081 times
Sorry to sound a bit exasperated, but since you say yourself you're "another" tourist and you know this kind of question is common, have you started by spending an hour doing searches on this forum, leafing through some of the many NYC guidebooks, or asking the tourism office to send you literature?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM

i have already looked at other topics in the forum, people have requested nice hotels to stay at. top things to do... non touristy places, etc. But no one has actually asked about areas... or given a description of the areas.
(ok... given i had only looked at 2 pages from the search results when typing in hotels and tourists, but none were relevant to what i was looking for).

I've also wikipedia'd suburbs, but it shows more on history.... hence the reason i made a post hoping locals would help me out.
I do have a guidebook, but if it goes by anything like the one they give my city! I wouldn't want to stay near it. (Because locals wouldn't hang out there or at those bars).

Old 06-05-2011, 06:48 PM

100 posts, read 248,066 times
Try the UN Millinenium hotel - it overlooks the East River and is reasonably priced.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,966,937 times
What kind of bars and entertainment are you looking for? More like well dressed locals or more like fly-over tourists in tennis shoes drinking on the cheap?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
What kind of bars and entertainment are you looking for? More like well dressed locals or more like fly-over tourists in tennis shoes drinking on the cheap?

I would be more into the well dressed locals area.

But would also like to know where the cheap option, possibly if drinks are THAT expensive.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:35 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,262,664 times
If you can bump up your budget a little bit, I’d stay at The Standard (The Standard Hotel - Boutique Hotels in Manhattan New York City | Hip Hotels NYC). It’s a new hotel built directly over the High Line. Very cool, very trendy, and within walking distance to Meatpacking, Chelsea and the West Village. It’s a little more than you want to spend, but it would make for a trip to remember.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:36 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,139,381 times
The Carlton and the Chandler are both at the upper end of your price range- they're in the East 30's & Madison tucked between Madison Square Park and the Empire State Building. Kind of mid-point between tourist additives in midtown and nightlife downtown.

The Bowery Hotel is beautiful and in the East Village if that's your nighlife scene (more hipster than trendy/fashionista). But it may be out of your range.

It just depends on where you plan on spending your time in the city. What's on your hit list of things to see or do?

Great Italian:
Babbo
Campagnola
Bianca

Avoid anything in the theatre district or in Little Italy.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:25 PM

25,345 posts, read 36,876,959 times
I think the closer you are to Chelsea, the nicer the stay. It's largely gay but it can be good for tourists of all persuasions.
Afternoon art gallery hopping is as good as any city can provide.

Greenwich Village, a bit further South can still provide a nice evening.

I'm not up on accomodations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City