Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,440,394 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever taken the MetroNorth to the Woodbury Commons Outlet Center?

I was thinking about it as I've heard they have some great shopping there but I'm wondering if it's worth it (time and $$ wise).

If anyone's gone there, can you give me some idea of the time involved, how to get from the Metro North station to the Commons, is the Commons actually worth going to?

Any input is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,168,136 times
I drove up there once. As with most outlets these days, you can find better quality merchandise and much better prices by hitting Bloomingdale's, Barneys, or Bergdorf in July and January or on Gilt Groupe, Rue La La and Haute Look.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:16 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,280,254 times
Drove up there twice. You won't save that much. Honestly if you're going for the "deals" stick to Ebay, Amazon, or Craigslist. I don't think there is a train station for the Commons, but more likely you have to take it to the next town over where you might get a shuttle bus to Woodbury or something. I'm pretty sure they have R/T coach bus service to Woodbury from Port Authority as I've seen tons of buses parked at the Commons. Overall though it's a hit or miss...I wouldn't get to excited.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:40 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,452,290 times
I took the bus (they run REALLY frequently) from the Port Authority. Comfy, nice journey up. This was a few years ago, mind you. I find with any of the outlets, you really have to plan your strategy. They have a website where you can print out a map of all the stores and this way you can highlight the ones you have the most interest in. They have an area to the right when you first come in where they have lockers. Your best bet is to get a locker as soon as you get there, and then this way, you can drop purchases back at the locker to save yourself having to lug it around all day.

The key thing is not to engage in the sense of "buying frenzy" that seems to prevail with a lot of the shoppers that go there. Know what the sales prices are for the items you want. By that I mean that you can see a beautiful set of sheets and get carried away with HAVING to have them. But keep in the back of your mind how much you would get them for during a Macy's, Penney's, etc. White Sale.

It really is a nice day out if you can do it during a weekday. It'll be you and a pack of tourists - but it beats going on the weekend when it would be really crowded. Enjoy!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:55 AM

979 posts, read 4,444,585 times
Just don't stay until the last bus back to the City. Reminiscent of the last helicopter out of Saigon!

Old 06-07-2011, 06:17 AM

149 posts, read 325,137 times
It is nice there setting wise. you can spend a nice day there.

As for great deals I really did not see much. My friend always goes there to get "bargains" at the coach store. The gap and some other stores were a mess.
As other posters said you would probably get better deals at a Macy's sale.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:23 AM

6,453 posts, read 6,986,167 times
It's definately the biggest outlet mall I've ever seen.

I always drove though, because it was easier.

As far as deals go...best time to go is during holidays. Especially the Labor day sales.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,179,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Has anyone ever taken the MetroNorth to the Woodbury Commons Outlet Center?

I was thinking about it as I've heard they have some great shopping there but I'm wondering if it's worth it (time and $$ wise).

If anyone's gone there, can you give me some idea of the time involved, how to get from the Metro North station to the Commons, is the Commons actually worth going to?

Any input is appreciated!
Theres a bus that leaves from port authority and leaves you right there. Gigantic waste of time though IMO. Stores are better in the city.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,440,394 times
Thanks for the great replies, everyone!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:31 PM

956 posts, read 1,202,513 times
I live only 15 minutes away from the commons and I don't get the big fuss and why its so popular. There are much better bargains online (some places no sales tax too!) and Macys etc. Most locals aren't too fond of the place because it brings A LOT of traffic + takes away new shopping centers within Orange County. With all that being said it does bring in huge tax $$$$ for Orange County.

Metro-North sells a package deal to the commons, which provides a shuttle bus from the Harriman train station to the commons (the station is 1.5 miles north of the commons), but most people take the bus Coach USA (Shortline), which runs VERY frequency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City