Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM

37 posts, read 118,833 times

Advertisements

I don't think any more than anyone else.

A lot of Puerto Ricans in NYC grow up alongside Non-Hispanic Blacks so they associate due to economic standing, forced association. There are tensions considering they are separate groups but for the most part the two get along due to the similar urban background and the fact life would be unbareable to be bitter 24/7. This is changing though because you find less Puerto Ricans living near/among African American neighborhoods in the city. The most Black exposure are Black Dominicans or the smaller number of Black Puerto Ricans. Puerto Ricans nowadays can be found in every neighborhood, or every socioeconomic standing in the NYC metro area. African Americans in NYC are on the decline, fast.

When it comes to dating the media exaggerates it, A LOT. Puerto Ricans will sometimes date Hispanic Blacks who have strong mixed features but rarely African American or Caribbean Blacks. In Latin culture Whiteness is stressed and most Puerto Ricans lean on the White side. Most of the Puerto Rican girls I know ended up marrying White Puerto Ricans and other Latinos, Italians, Irish, and that was reflected in their dating choices too.

Source: Puerto Rican who grew up in NYC.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 PM

34 posts, read 129,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latinguynjnj View Post
I don't think any more than anyone else.

A lot of Puerto Ricans in NYC grow up alongside Non-Hispanic Blacks so they associate due to economic standing, forced association. There are tensions considering they are separate groups but for the most part the two get along due to the similar urban background and the fact life would be unbareable to be bitter 24/7. This is changing though because you find less Puerto Ricans living near/among African American neighborhoods in the city. The most Black exposure are Black Dominicans or the smaller number of Black Puerto Ricans. Puerto Ricans nowadays can be found in every neighborhood, or every socioeconomic standing in the NYC metro area. African Americans in NYC are on the decline, fast.

When it comes to dating the media exaggerates it, A LOT. Puerto Ricans will sometimes date Hispanic Blacks who have strong mixed features but rarely African American or Caribbean Blacks. In Latin culture Whiteness is stressed and most Puerto Ricans lean on the White side. Most of the Puerto Rican girls I know ended up marrying White Puerto Ricans and other Latinos, Italians, Irish, and that was reflected in their dating choices too.

Source: Puerto Rican who grew up in NYC.
I dont find this to be the case. Most puerto ricans still live amongst blacks in nyc. A'lot of blacks left nyc for "greener pastures" so to speak like the south for instance. But still the neighborhoods are still the same. Especially in the bronx

Old 06-07-2011, 05:29 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,289 times
I'm so glad I don't have to automatically dislike anyone because of their race or ethnic background!

Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM

I would say though, that blacks and hispanics(in nyc) have the best relationship between two ethnic groups in the united states

Old 06-07-2011, 05:40 PM

37 posts, read 118,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Hammer View Post
I dont find this to be the case. Most puerto ricans still live amongst blacks in nyc. A'lot of blacks left nyc for "greener pastures" so to speak like the south for instance. But still the neighborhoods are still the same. Especially in the bronx
There are Puerto Ricans all over NYC. From Mott Haven in the Bronx to the Upper East Side of Manhattan. All over the burbs too in three states.

The African American population in NYC has seen huge declines, most Blacks in the city are Caribbean Blacks from Jamaica or Haiti.

Neighborhoods have changed a ton versus the 90's. Central Harlem was mostly African American, I would say it's mostly Caribbean Blacks now with other Whites and Latinos of various races living throughout as minorities. West Harlem and Washington Heights are Dominican land and East Harlem is diverse but still mostly Latinos of all races. In some neighborhoods I do not see any African Americans or an extreme minority, the Bronx is cut up. The southern and western sections are Latinos of all races and the northeast is Caribbean Black. It's extreme too.

Quote:
I would say though, that blacks and hispanics(in nyc) have the best relationship between two ethnic groups in the united states
I don't see it any different than any other. I feel Puerto Ricans most readily identify with whoever they live among. I went from living with Italians to Puerto Ricans to Dominicans to Blacks and back to Puerto Ricans and Dominicans to Italian and I cannot discount all the other groups from all sorts of Arabs to Albanians, Irish, Brazilians, ect ect and have identified with each group in the city. In fact the only group I had tension with was Blacks and that is because I am a White Puerto Rican, I have strong Southern European ancestry, called White boy, beat up, ect.

I do know for a fact though that Dominicans and African Americans/Non-Hispanic Caribbean Blacks do not go along well.

Last edited by latinguynjnj; 06-07-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 06-07-2011, 05:48 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Things remain the same but just new faces with different skin tones. This is what an IRish guy told me who used to live in Mott Haven 40 years ago.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:52 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
@ Triny calm down bro... fact is and this is not racist but simply what most in NYC believe is that Puerto Ricans tend to be light skinned... therefore if you are a dark skinned Puerto Rican they might confuse you for a wide range of other caribbean countries...

that being said those who are from Puerto Rico know that there are many Black Puerto Ricans... and in Guayama, Ponce, Bayamon, Loiza, some parts of Fajardo, Carolina (mostly) and some parts of Old San Juan in and close to La Perla, they have a majority black population but those numbers are the minority in Puerto Rico since most of the people are either from Taino roots or have European ancestry...
Actually he's right. It IS racist. And its something that exist in Puerto Rico as well. Tego Calderon actually wrote a piece on this very subject, discussing how darker skinned Puerto Ricans get treated differently than lighter skinned Puerto Ricans.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinguynjnj View Post
There are Puerto Ricans all over NYC. From Mott Haven in the Bronx to the Upper East Side of Manhattan. All over the burbs too in three states.

The African American population in NYC has seen huge declines, most Blacks in the city are Caribbean Blacks from Jamaica or Haiti.

Neighborhoods have changed a ton versus the 90's. Central Harlem was mostly African American, I would say it's mostly Caribbean Blacks now with other Whites and Latinos of various races living throughout as minorities. West Harlem and Washington Heights are Dominican land and East Harlem is diverse but still mostly Latinos of all races. In some neighborhoods I do not see any African Americans or an extreme minority, the Bronx is cut up. The southern and western sections are Latinos of all races and the northeast is Caribbean Black. It's extreme too.

I don't see it any different than any other. I feel Puerto Ricans most readily identify with whoever they live among. I went from living with Italians to Puerto Ricans to Dominicans to Blacks and back to Puerto Ricans and Dominicans to Italian and I cannot discount all the other groups from all sorts of Arabs to Albanians, Irish, Brazilians, ect ect and have identified with each group in the city. In fact the only group I had tension with was Blacks and that is because I am a White Puerto Rican, I have strong Southern European ancestry, called White boy, beat up, ect.

I do know for a fact though that Dominicans and African Americans/Non-Hispanic Caribbean Blacks do not go along well.
There are blacks all over the city aswell. I think the caribbean thing is a little overblown i think black americans are still the dominant group of blacks in the city

Like in harlem there are a'lot of non black americans but ba's still seem to be the most abundant regardless

How do you exactly distinguish caribbean from americans anyway?

I would say with great security that puerto ricans overwhelmingly identify with black americans than any other group here in america

Old 06-07-2011, 06:23 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
There are blacks all over the city aswell. I think the caribbean thing is a little overblown i think black americans are still the dominant group of blacks in the city

Like in harlem there are a'lot of non black americans but ba's still seem to be the most abundant regardless

How do you exactly distinguish caribbean from americans anyway?

I would say with great security that puerto ricans overwhelmingly identify with black americans than any other group here in america
I think your thinking specifically of nuyoricans.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
I don't think they do. Some Latinos tend to be prejudice and they have serious issues with skin color and facial features.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City