U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 9,866 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking for a house to buy on Staten Island, most of the areas that I'm interested at are in a flood zone. I'm trying to find out what is the cost of flood insurance in high risk areas. How much do you pay for flood insurance if your house is in a flood zone, is it a house with or without a basement? Thanks for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:09 AM

12,317 posts, read 12,046,488 times
why would you buy a house in a flood zone????????????????????????????????

Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 AM

11,350 posts, read 11,246,610 times
Why would you buy a house in a flood zone....
(Is there an echo in here? )

Why expose yourself to the risk both financial and physical? Sea levels are rising, rivers are flooding more frequently. Now seems the time to seek high ground. Unless the deal is unbelievably in your favor, don't do it.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,866 times
I'm interested at the East Shore of Staten Island in neighborhoods such as Midland Beach South Beach, New Dorp, Oakwood and majority of these areas ARE IN A FLOOD ZONE. And yes, the prices are more reasonable in these neighborhoods than in other parts of Staten Island. I also need good public elementary schools and the East Shore seems to have better schools than other neighborhoods with similarly priced real estate properties. Could someone who actually lives there give me some insight on the cost of flood insurance? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 AM

Here's a place for ballparking. It's FEMA.

Floodsmart.gov: Policy Rates

It looks like you might want that third category of High risk COASTAL AREAS...where a $250,000 house and contents insures for about $6 grand a year.

Lesser risks have much lower premiums.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 AM

3,141 posts, read 2,408,419 times
Firstly, make sure you find a carrier who provides flood insurance. Many do not.

Kefir and Night, much of the eastern US is in a flood zone.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 AM

Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Yes indeed. But for insurance purposes there seem to be many gradations of "flood zone" and with these gradations in risk, come vast gradations in cost.

(Did you perhaps the NGEO special on ocean level rising last night? Worst case scenario, +220 feet? One pundit observed that in 50 years the largest worldwide industry will be flood prevention.)

Old 06-26-2013, 07:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,961 times
It depends on what flood zone your in. For example: Flood zone AE requires an elevation certificate which requires your home to be built on or above your base flood elevation (BFE).Flood insurance will most likely be cheaper if your above the (BFE) if your home is below the (BFE) Flood insurance can get costly. Also make sure the home has flood vents sized according to FEMA regulations. Hope you find this helpful.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:28 AM

12,317 posts, read 12,046,488 times
I live near the Gravesend Bay, yet I am not in a flood zone, I believe it is zone 5, as the land is higher. We didnt get anything with Sandy, nothing at all.

But after what just happened in SI, No way on Earth would I consider any of the midland beach, oakwood beach, or any beach area in SI. there is no reason to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City