Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 1,933 times

Advertisements

I was amused at CoolChris's comment about Soviet Russia. I am currently living in Russia for 3 years and they smoke like chimneys here. It might be just the place for him.
My father died of of lung cancer at 51. I have now outlived him by 7 years. Those are years he missed out on because of damned cigarettes. You want to self-administer poison, go ahead; but don't tell me that second-hand smoke doesn't cause harm - you don't have the right to make that call when other people's lives are at stake.
By the way, my father always reeked, absolutely stank of cigarettes, but he didn't know it. If you live with it, you become desensitized. If you smoke - you stink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Condos/coops are just trailer parks in the sky. There are consequences to that.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Stein View Post
I was amused at CoolChris's comment about Soviet Russia. I am currently living in Russia for 3 years and they smoke like chimneys here. It might be just the place for him.
My father died of of lung cancer at 51. I have now outlived him by 7 years. Those are years he missed out on because of damned cigarettes. You want to self-administer poison, go ahead; but don't tell me that second-hand smoke doesn't cause harm - you don't have the right to make that call when other people's lives are at stake.
By the way, my father always reeked, absolutely stank of cigarettes, but he didn't know it. If you live with it, you become desensitized. If you smoke - you stink.

ugh, here in my neighborhood in Brooklyn ALL the Russians smoke. They are all hurdled together outside and smoke, I have never in my life seen a race of people that smoke so much. It is amazing. All the boys in the cell phone place stand outside and smoke, the nurses at the medical centers stand outside and smoke. It is sickening. The price of 12 dollars has certainly not stopped the Russians from smoking, nor has it deterred the teens either...i see them smoking as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Your first mistake was to talk to them instead of writing a note.

However, it's impossible to give you a really good answer because your post is so lacking in information. For instance, is this a rental, condo or co-op? Whom did you talk to and what was the reaction? What exactly did you request? How long ago was this?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
ugh, here in my neighborhood in Brooklyn ALL the Russians smoke.

For Russian men, the lifespan is more than 4 years less than the rest of the world ...but the women do far better..."good for pulling like tractor."

So that's a gallon of v0dka and a carton of cigarettes and Russian men get to see BOZHYE early.
(I'm half Russian but I haven't smoked in 30 years.)

Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
You can't suffer from second-hand smoke when the smoke is OUTSIDE. I'm not sure how close their terrace is to your window or door that the smell comes in but I would get a fan so that the smoke doesn't come in to your apartment. It doesn't mean the smell won't get in. How often are they out there that your apartment smells like cigarettes? The issue here is not about berating smokers because everyone has a right to do as they please. The issue is how do you politely ask them to stop. You can't. If they are outside and not flicking cigarette butts on your side of the terrace, there really isn't much you can do unless your building has a "No smoking on premises" policy.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:16 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
You suffer from second hand smoke when you breathe in second hand smoke. Where you are has little impact on your lung irritation.

So whether inside or outside, cigarette smoke, like MOST smoke, is CARCINOGENNIC.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:36 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
While I agree with the person, the smoking and loud talking on the balcony is really probably annoying, especially when it is in a foreign language. ( I speak Greek fluently, so I know) but unfortunetely they are doing nothing wrong or bad, so you really cannot do anything.

That is just part of the type of living we have here.

kinda like hearing a loud Russian on a cell phone in the early hours of the morning when you are trying to sleep and the windows are open....ugh !!!

now where did I put those eggs.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:09 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You suffer from second hand smoke when you breathe in second hand smoke. Where you are has little impact on your lung irritation.

So whether inside or outside, cigarette smoke, like MOST smoke, is CARCINOGENNIC.

I understand what you're saying. What I was getting at was that when you're enclosed in a room or bar, etc, the second hand smoke affects are not like someone stepping outside in the open for 5 minutes. I was referring to enclosed areas. I agree it would bother someone but the affect outdoors is not the same as indoors. If where you are has little impact on lung irritation then we can't blame all the smokers for second hand smoke when the bus and car fumes, factories and refineries put out carciogens as well. Second hand smoke outdoors is an AIR CONTAMINENT.
It’s hard to measure smoke dynamics outdoors because conditions change. Exposure levels are relative. Wind, area size, and number of smokers affect the degree of exposure. Look at California. They have the most smoking restrictions. Smoking in public is virtually banned everywhere yet they have some of the worst air quality (the lovely perpetual smog cloud over L.A.).

Old 12-08-2011, 05:47 PM

80 posts, read 308,323 times
In regards to the loud talking, I think you can stay on them to keep it quieter outside your window. If that won't work, maybe the landlord will be able to help.

In terms of smoking on the balcony - it is one of the few places left to do it. I smoke the occasional cigar and really have nowhere to go except a balcony or bench on a sidewalk. I really try to impact the least amount of people possible with my smoke - but it is going to travel some. Unless the lease says no smoking on balconies - it is perfectly fine for them to do so, and you're just stuck with it. At least they are being respectful enough to not smoke up their apartment as well as all of the surrounding units by smoking inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City