U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2007, 04:26 PM

10,356 posts, read 18,817,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
5-I still bet my money on Mott Haven..and areas similar that are so close to the city.
2 much public housing
and still 2 expensive

im sure you've heard stories of people who bought condos in east harlem and complain that its across the street from a crackhouse. maybe you should make them realize their vision too. the problem is a lot of these posts are from your perspective. for you, mott haven is cool, and frankly if you went and scooped 1 up for yourself i wont have boo to say about it. might even send u a housewarming gift. my thing is i am extremely skeptical that the majority of the residents of mott haven will even have a chance to own in this building. its like a slap in the face to the community. and to start the pricing so high is irresponsible. we'll just have to wait and see what kind of people move in this building. since corcoran is marketing mott haven as an alternative to harlem, who do u think it will attract? young professionals who work in midtown.

and im sorry but more middle class people read the daily news/ny post than ny times. ride the train to work and look around at the people. sure there are exceptions to the rule, but take the train tomorrow morning and see for yourself. i cant even buy the ny times around my way lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 04:30 PM

2,978 posts, read 1,057,153 times
Rememeber..pricing has not started this high...prices have been ABYSMALLY low for the past 30 years...with the new subsidized housing back in 1990 selling for $100K or less...this is no more of a slap in the face than the townhouse SHELL that is being marketed for $600,000 on Alexander ave ( a few blocks from the condo development)....you have to do a total gut rehab....and by the way..according to the website there are only 3 more condos available prices at $350,000-$550,000..which means the higher prices units sold? Maybe its BS? We can only speculate....

Check craigslist under Mott Haven to find the Alexander ave home for sale..as well as the latest info on the condos.....enjoy!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:33 PM

1,767 posts, read 4,162,837 times
I'll bring up another way to try to get in this game.....someone else, or elses!!!!!!! It is obvious now that in order to afford this city's homes, multiple persons are gonna have to 'chip in'; families, relatives, uncles, cousins, etc! Now, that takes an amount of trust, community and 'a whole bunch of folk have to put up the susu money' in order to get into this market.....!!!!!!

Quite simply, the game has changed!

Old 11-08-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
the new subsidized housing back in 1990 selling for $100K or less...
these condos aint subsidized. other than the proximity to manhattan i cant justify them being so much because to me thats all you're paying for. what else comes with my purchase besides a 20 minute commute?

Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM
DAS

2,276 posts, read 3,792,270 times
GottaHaveVision says
Quote:
Regarding 145th and Frederick Douglass Blvd in Harlem I visited a NYSC (Gym) over there and there are condo offerings in excess of 900k. I was shocked because at the corner and to the left the biggest set of PJ's you could lay your eyes on lol. Furthermore I went into the PathMark and there were such a diverse grouping of individuals poor,working class and seemingly well todo. I was amazed how a developer could offer a condo for 900k and poverty is literally baby steps away and is slated to be there for a while. The reason sans it being Manhattan is because space is space and developers don't have much of it left in the prime Manhattan sections "Upper East/West" , SoHo, Hell's Kitchen, Battery Park yada yada people will pay for conveinence even if they have to deal with subpar surroundings and that's putting it lightly for that area.

Bottom line you don't get in on the South Bronx movement i.e. Mott Haven right now your going to be kicking yourself like people that missed the boat in Harlem. What they are paying for a condo now they could've in the 80's bought 3 TownHouses. Now 995k is what you pay for a shell of a TownHouse/Brownstone. Me I'll be in Mott Haven renovating my Townhome getting the Fireplaces working laughing all the way to retirement.
Please don't misinform people. I know this area very well. Those condos are not selling. A lot of them are empty. Some were bought at the low price that they are sold before being built so that the developer could put up the buildings. The people that do occupy them are renters or young professionals usually not native to the city that buy 1 bedroom apts to get to work in midtown and they are hoping to make a big profit later. These condos are being sold at rates very similiar to one on the upper west side. So those in the know just buy down there.

There are drugs, weapons etc being sold right on those corners around there especially on the street where the 145th and St Nicholas subway station entrances are. Have been for years and has not changed. The police station is right there in the subway station and another 2 police stations close by and they can't even stop it.

Yeah some residents from those condos might stop in and buy a few things at pathmark because there is no viable alternative anywhere around there. But really look at most of those pathmark shoppers they are poor.

Please excuse me I can't stop laughing at the missed the boat comment. People were standing on the dock and no boat ever came. They rehabbed some buildings for section 8 tenants and that cleaned up the neighborhood in appearance some. Then they built some subsidized town homes like 20 for every 20,000 qualified applicants. Then went straight into this luxury housing.

Now I see they are going to do the same in Mott Haven. It always starts with one. Most don't have it to buy or renovate their own town home.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:14 PM

its me and you against them!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:44 PM

20 posts, read 34,544 times
Default Middle Class the great conumdrum lmao...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
2 much public housing
and still 2 expensive

and im sorry but more middle class people read the daily news/ny post than ny times. ride the train to work and look around at the people. sure there are exceptions to the rule, but take the train tomorrow morning and see for yourself. i cant even buy the ny times around my way lol
Who exactly is the middle class lmao one of the great lies perpetrated by the powers that be... before you start throwing that term around remember it is very very subjective and basically a ploy by politicians to get people to think they are middle class whatever that is... Rarely do you hear politicians mention the poor just this middle class entity lol guess we got rid of the poor. To some people middle class is 80k to some 350k to some 45k it is what it is....

Anyway I digress nobody is doling out misinformation on this side of the keyboard whether those condos sell or not the price of rice is the price of rice 995K it is what it is... and yup everything you mentioned about 145 is true how much more so in Mott Haven and my friend whether you'll pay that price for rice somebody will...

Old 11-08-2007, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
GottaHaveVision says

Please don't misinform people. I know this area very well. Those condos are not selling. A lot of them are empty. Some were bought at the low price that they are sold before being built so that the developer could put up the buildings.

There are drugs, weapons etc being sold right on those corners around there especially on the street where the 145th and St Nicholas subway station entrances are. Have been for years and has not changed. The police station is right there in the subway station and another 2 police stations close by and they can't even stop it.

Yeah some residents from those condos might stop in and buy a few things at pathmark because there is no viable alternative anywhere around there. But really look at most of those pathmark shoppers they are poor.

Please excuse me I can't stop laughing at the missed the boat comment. People were standing on the dock and no boat ever came.

Now I see they are going to do the same in Mott Haven. It always starts with one. Most don't have it to buy or renovate their own town home.
This is NYC baby they gon sell!!! Like back in the day when cats was selling VCR boxes wit Rocks in them on the WestSide Highway. I said c'mon you got rocks in there man and he said "This is NYC baby of course Imma sell this VCR box wit Rocks" and I'm sure he did just like they gon sell them condos Holllah.

As for that boat never coming to the dock guess yall got there to late or to early or they not taking Metro Cards, but trust me that boat is there........ and your absolutely right they are and are going to keep doing the same thing in Mott Haven as they've done in Williamsburg, LIC, BedStuy and Harlem World it is what it is.....

This boat ain't for those that don't have it to buy, that's reality it is what is that's why people are moving to Harlem, BedStuy yadda yadda. Leaving NYC what a joke where else can you own a home for 1mil and only pay 2G's in real estate taxes. Its funny I got friends that live in the South Bronx and dying to leave I have no illusion I know why it's because of where they live but what people need to understand what makes a neighborhood worth living in is people that care PEOPLE THAT CARE ABOUT THEIR SURROUNDINGS.

Public housing on the Lower East Side of Manhattan has million dollar views and they are pretty spacious but a majority of the residents DONT GIVE A FUG, YUP THEY DONT GIVE A FUG.

There is public housing in Queens that looks like private housing Pomonok Houses across from Qns College know why cuz most PEOPLE THERE GIVE A FUG. So those immigrants trying to leave is because they are surrounded by people that don't give a FUG and at times even the immigrants dont give a FUG lol.

Nothing special about those neighborhoods Hustla mentions nothing special at anl BUT for now you have a majority of people THAT GIVE A FUG.

So the SLAP IN THE FACE IS WHEN PEOPLE (PARENTS/INDIVIDUALS) don't give a FUG. I've seen some projects and buildings where the janitors clean every day maybe 2x a day. But people live blunt guts, beer bottles and food in the stairway, vestibule so when these communities start policing themselves things will get better until then they will continue to be displaced and feel the newcomers are interlopers or THEY STOOD ON THE DOCK AND THE BOAT NEVER CAME.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 AM

1,536 posts, read 304,449 times
Wow, all this over a development in the ghetto. Here is a little reality.

Mott Haven is a high crime/poverty neighborhood. This development does not help the people of Mott Haven in anyway. Eventually some suckers will move in, the real estate people will lure them in with some bull**** about the neighborhood. These people will not hang out in the neighborhood, why should they? There is nothing around them but public housing. It is also dangerous.

What is screwed up about the whole thing is that the community is being raped. The developers are taking advantage of the low price in comparison to other parts of NYC. This should have been low income housing. Then again, the community is not speaking up. You know why? They are more concerned about the next check to pay more then half of it on rent then save the world (in this case, themselves).

In one way, this development is almost like a small step towards gentrification for the neighborhood (not a good thing for the residents). However on the plus side, the high price means the housing bubble is about to popp. If areas this undesireable are so expensive, few people are going to be willing to live there. Especially for that price.

Oh well, in the end (within 10 years) the housing bubble will popp. Prices will fall (no way this can be sustained especially if it goes higher). Undesireable areas like Mott Haven (and yes even Harlem) will see disinvestment as more desireable areas become more affordable. How is this good for the residents? Well, now they can better afford the damn rent, and live. Not like gentrification is going to help them.

Still, it's amazing how there is such a low income housing shortage (gets worse and worse with each passing day) yet so much "luxury" housing in this city to lure in suckers to similar undesireable areas (especially Harlem). Neighborhoods where this "luxury" housing is well out of reach of the local population.

One building, honestly I hope the bubble popps soon as possible. I hope that place stays empty, that they can't con anyone in. The hell do I care about their pockets. I care about the good people that live in Mott Haven. I would love to see more low income housing in the community, see some of those homeless I see on a daily basis living on couches on the sidewalk have a roof over their heads.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:41 AM

Default Low Income Housing in Mott Haven and the South Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post

What is screwed up about the whole thing is that the community is being raped. The developers are taking advantage of the low price in comparison to other parts of NYC. This should have been low income housing. Then again, the community is not speaking up. You know why? They are more concerned about the next check to pay more then half of it on rent then save the world (in this case, themselves).

In one way, this development is almost like a small step towards gentrification for the neighborhood (not a good thing for the residents). However on the plus side, the high price means the housing bubble is about to popp. If areas this undesireable are so expensive, few people are going to be willing to live there. Especially for that price.

Oh well, in the end (within 10 years) the housing bubble will popp. Prices will fall (no way this can be sustained especially if it goes higher). Undesireable areas like Mott Haven (and yes even Harlem) will see disinvestment as more desireable areas become more affordable. How is this good for the residents? Well, now they can better afford the damn rent, and live. Not like gentrification is going to help them.
95% of the new housing in Mott Haven and the South Bronx is low income housing. Which is one of the reasons it hasn't "Gentrified" as quickly as Harlem. You can't blame the developers in Harlem or South Bronx they can't do jack unless the Community Boards are in Cahoots. Thus why you hear residents and activists of these communities state there local Senators (Charles Rangel) Congressmen/women are selling them down the river for kickbacks.

Here is some empirical evidence:

Low Income Bronx (http://www.nychdc.com/ApartmentSeekers/LI_Bronx.html - broken link)

The reality is that most luxury developers wont continually build in the Bronx your and other people that state they cant get the pricing they want are correct. However, once again LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION MOTT HAVEN is obscenely close to NYC aka Manhattan lol.

I don't know why people are arguing with history and present day fact the L.E.S is another prime example was just as bad as Mott Haven PJ's, Drugs this was defintely the place to cop dope,crack you name it and I've personally seen those spots used to be my hangout when I went clubbing in the late 80's early 90's now it's changed.

If the point is that some of you wouldn't want to live in Mott Haven at it's present state I won't debate you, or if it is that the condos are pricey for the area I won't debate you (as most buyers know that offer price is known as the ask most developers will drop that price 50-100k when the market is slow this is also known as a get on the BOAT opportunity if you can afford the ticket)

But if your debating the fact it isn't evolving and won't continue to go through an evolutionary state, my friends you are sadly mistaken and denying history. See there was saying most are familiar with when I was a kid and it's coming to fruition that is: "Eventually only the RICH will be able to live in New York" and it is proving to be true across almost all boros.

There is a visionary of note if you go over the 138th and Madison bridge there is an ad by this Guy "Henry Vargas" he is the benefactor see this excerpt below the visionary was his Dad who probably was thought to be a mad man by his family when he took this course.

"Vargas's projects include a Flatiron-style design at 111th Street between Adam Clayton Powell Boulevard and Frederick Douglass Boulevard, to be called Harlem Rise, and At The Noble, a 16-unit condo on 111th Street and Lenox Avenue, a block from Central Park, where half the units are earmarked for families earning between $41,000 and $52,000, he said. Vargas is also working with the Athena Group, which is building a 19-story, 47-unit condo at 111 Central Park North, where all units will face the park.

Vargas is furthering the work undertaken by his father, Victor, who snapped up property in the late 1970s and assured his son that a turnaround would come. Though it's been a long wait, there is ample evidence that the time is now. "

So once again for those on this board that have low or median incomes you can own a home/coop/condo. If your really serious there are many programs that I've personally checked out but my income was considered to high to be eligible. Most notably is the program called NACA

https://www.naca.com/index_main.jsp

This program for those that choose to get up and avail themselves of it pays all the closing costs on a house and is currently offering a rate of 5.375% and guess what IT ISN'T DEPENDENT UPON YOUR CREDIT RATING THAT'S RIGHT YOUR VISION ISN'T FUZZY IT DOESN'T DEPEND UPON YOUR CREDIT RATING.

So for all those low income motivated people the boat is docking and accepting METRO CARDS will you swipe or decide to get there by walking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City