Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,157,906 times

Advertisements

NYT: Washington Heights Development

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! The board in WaHa just nixed support for the new big multi "highrise" development that was going up in fear of "Gentrification". How foolish!

The plan was for mixed income housing and a subway station renovation.

Now due to the fact they may not get funding they will be MARKET RATE. They needed the extra floors to pay for the affordable housing. They will request an upzone anyway but if denied they will not be affordable housing.

If you want cheaper housing you have to except density in this city.

Washington Heights is one of those neighborhoods with great potential that is right now generally poor and uneducated. I can't wait for gentrification too sweep them out of there if this is the thinking. I'm blown away by this. The current residents treat that nabe like crap, to top it off they are assisting their own exodus. So much wasted potential!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:33 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,252,467 times
I didn't read in the article where the apartments were originally going to be mixed income. If a neighborhood has mostly low rise buildings, then I tend to agree that new buildings should somewhat match the character of the neighborhood when possible.

Do you have some type of stake in this? I get that impression.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I didn't read in the article where the apartments were originally going to be mixed income. If a neighborhood has mostly low rise buildings, then I tend to agree that new buildings should somewhat match the character of the neighborhood when possible.

Do you have some type of stake in this? I get that impression.
Yes, the buildings will be mixed income. Honestly I wish they were market rate to accelerate gentrification of the area. It looks like that might just happen faster if this and other areas are not up zoned.

Reguardless, highrises will be built at the location. I am happy about that although I am for max density/height. Density near subway stations is key. This development is beyond fair. 30% affordable housing, park and subway entrance rehab. That second part would be a win for the locals.

The community board is playing hardball, they want 50% affordable housing, NO WAY. Instead they are looking to loose it all. WaHa WILL gentrify.

As for neighborhood housing character, taller developments are inevitable. Manhattan is an island with a high demand for housing. Also there are other "tall" residential structures nearby.

I'm emotional about it because of the foolishness of the board. I have been following this for some time.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:52 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,988,250 times
It sounds like the community had lots of good reasons for opposition to this project and the "fear of gentrification" didn't appear to be a major reason,while you seem to imply that it is THE reason.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,913,097 times
I live in Wahi since i was 13 and i believe it's time for a change. The development should take place on the East side though in order to establish a status quo. The West of Washington Heights is ok. {Broadway, Bennett Ave, Ovelook Terrace, Ft Washinton, Pinehurst, Cabrini are good areas (168 to 193)}

This development was going to take place on Broadway. The neighborhood needs a clean-up IMO. I hope the Heights turns into Williamsburg, UWS, UES side status. BTW, I am Dominican.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It sounds like the community had lots of good reasons for opposition to this project and the "fear of gentrification" didn't appear to be a major reason,while you seem to imply that it is THE reason.
It is among the primary reasons, considering the fact that the board could not get an unrealistic increase in the % of affordable housing units. Now they may get none.

To maintain the character of the neighborhood? WaHa is in Manhattan, space is limited. Denser developments will need to be constructed. Finger buildings are fine, this won't be Midtown tomorrow. People are being unrealistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
I live in Wahi since i was 13 and i believe it's time for a change. The development should take place on the East side though in order to establish a status quo. The West of Washington Heights is ok. {Broadway, Bennett Ave, Ovelook Terrace, Ft Washinton, Pinehurst, Cabrini are good areas (168 to 193)}

This development was going to take place on Broadway. The neighborhood needs a clean-up IMO. I hope the Heights turns into Williamsburg, UWS, UES side status. BTW, I am Dominican.
Needs a serious change. More developments like this and you will see neighborhood wide improvements.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The transportation issue is the fault of the MTA. The A train should be divided into 2 separate lines. The A Manhattan and A Brooklyn/Queens. The 1 Train line elevators should be fixed or create some escalators/stairs as back ups. DOE should create some charter schools in Wahi and nearby areas.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:58 PM

154 posts, read 534,772 times
WaHa?

Seriously?

Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace09 View Post
WaHa?

Seriously?
It's WaHi.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,188,852 times
I was able to look past "WaHa" initially, but once I hit "nabe" I couldn't continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City