Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 PM

961 posts, read 2,463,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
i moved this past monday and it was a good choice. i miss it and wanna go back at some point if the country doesnt completely collapse. i got a patio and a jaccuzzi and a pool now

where'd you move to? I'm sure where ever it is sucks in comparison...nah just jokin. Where you at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Absolutely. I really feel like I don't belong here, and I would hate to raise a family here aswell.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinfabuleux View Post
a genuine question, what's the beef with transplants? They are always mentioned in one breath with the dreaded hipsters. Now that I get, but what's wrong with transplants?
Nobody likes migrantory transplants not here in nyc and not anywhere else. Last year I visited nc and the nc natives did not like new yorkers for varios reasons. Last year in vegas I met a nyc girl who was a transplant to vegas and she lived with other roomates from nyc. New yorkers and other non natives were blamed for the increase of property tax thier. Also transplants need adopt to the culture of the city or region they tend to move to if not it will cause hoopla with natives and force transplants to solely live among other transplants in a stuck up generic world. Try to perserve the culture of one city or region instead of dielotting it with non native out of town culture. It would be cool if nyc transplants can do break dancing and flip pizzas.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-08-2011 at 12:37 AM..

Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I played the R.E.M. song "Leaving New York" at full blast in my place the night I left. Glasses of wine poured freely with all windows open for all the neighbors to observe. To quote: "It's easier to leave than to be left behind/Leaving was never my proud/Leaving New York never easy/I saw the life fading out". As the plane left and the city became a glittering dot those words stuck with me. There really is no place like it. But it's definitely not for everyone, and it is indeed sad to see good middle class people being pushed out. They are the soul and backbone of the place, without as many of them it won't be the same. As many can already attest. More needs to be done to serve their interests as well, it is the right thing to do IMO.
You should of invited me!

Old 07-08-2011, 01:14 AM

154 posts, read 449,296 times
I'm dreaming of moving to California, I'm seriously considering SoCal! I havent mr right here & I fear just growing old and unhappy here.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:31 AM

49 posts, read 90,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Nobody likes migrantory transplants not here in nyc and not anywhere else. Last year I visited nc and the nc natives did not like new yorkers for varios reasons. Last year in vegas I met a nyc girl who was a transplant to vegas and she lived with other roomates from nyc. New yorkers and other non natives were blamed for the increase of property tax thier. Also transplants need adopt to the culture of the city or region they tend to move to if not it will cause hoopla with natives and force transplants to solely live among other transplants in a stuck up generic world. Try to perserve the culture of one city or region instead of dielotting it with non native out of town culture. It would be cool if nyc transplants can do break dancing and flip pizzas.
I promise that if I ever make it to live in NY I will learn how to break dance and flip pizza's

On a more serious note, indeed I do think that when you move to another city or country that you should do your best to fit in and respect the culture of where you are moving to. Why would one want to keep living solely among themselves? If you want to do that, you might as well not move in the first place.

Personally I don't mind people from all over the world moving to Amsterdam (where I live). I think it makes the city more alive and international. I do get annoyed by those who come to the city and don't want to know about Dutch culture and won't want to even learn our language.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The one thing I noticed when I lived down South was that the locals were real annoyed by New Yorkers and their expectations. Many New Yorkers move there expecting to find many of the same ameneties and access to the things they left behind. I've never met a New Yorker as nostalgic as those who relocated elsewhere and I've never met anyone who loved the city more. This NY nostalgia used to **** off alot of the Southerners, I must admit I was one of them, but I kept my opinions to myself and abided by their rules while plotting my escape back north. (sounds like Harriet Tubman...)

I'm all about respecting other people in their house. Most NY'ers aren't like that, even those that swore they'd never go back to NY, they can't culturally adapt to the South, many of them feel like its a cultural downgrade and feel like they were apart of something special coming from NY, in spite of their big lawns and mcmansions in desolate subdivisions.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post
The one thing I noticed when I lived down South was that the locals were real annoyed by New Yorkers and their expectations. Many New Yorkers move there expecting to find many of the same ameneties and access to the things they left behind. I've never met a New Yorker as nostalgic as those who relocated elsewhere and I've never met anyone who loved the city more. This NY nostalgia used to **** off alot of the Southerners, I must admit I was one of them, but I kept my opinions to myself and abided by their rules while plotting my escape back north. (sounds like Harriet Tubman...)

I'm all about respecting other people in their house. Most NY'ers aren't like that, even those that swore they'd never go back to NY, they can't culturally adapt to the South, many of them feel like its a cultural downgrade and feel like they were apart of something special coming from NY, in spite of their big lawns and mcmansions in desolate subdivisions.
I agree with this. Some people just dont travel well.
Its the same with Angelinos or San Francsiacans leaving LA or SF to go to Oregon, Washington or other Pac Northwest states.
Actually Texans can be like this too that I have met. I even had this abroad in London. Americans going to London and eating at TGIF's or complaining about well, everything. Its one thing to make an observation and another to whine.

There is always going to be a certain % of transplants that are the most vocal about what their new "home" doenst have.
The sad part is that that minority that are the most vocal can give the rest of the transplants a bad name.

NY'ers (I grew up in the UWS) are notoriously horrific travelers. Everything about the bubble life in NYC doesnt translate well outside the bubble except in north Jersey. lol

There are folks that even come here to San Diego and leave ticked off because there is no "culture" here a la museums, ethnic restaurants etc. Its here but in small bites and not nearly as dynamic. We wear flip flops here, dont give a crap about what it doesnt have and just enjoy it. The only thing I think we are probably known for here is the moderate weather and postcard views. But thats not for everyone. Some people like sipping a hot cup o' cocoa, sitting by the fire, whilst the rain comes down, snuggled up in a blanket or having philosophical debates at the local pub or bar.

At some point something has to give for these transplants. Most of them leave here after a few years and whine about something. Like there was promise of a new day here with jobs etc. lol Yeah! good luck!
Its a military and tourist town, always has been and will be for a long time.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
I agree with this. Some people just dont travel well.
Its the same with Angelinos or San Francsiacans leaving LA or SF to go to Oregon, Washington or other Pac Northwest states.
Actually Texans can be like this too that I have met. I even had this abroad in London. Americans going to London and eating at TGIF's or complaining about well, everything. Its one thing to make an observation and another to whine.

There is always going to be a certain % of transplants that are the most vocal about what their new "home" doenst have.
The sad part is that that minority that are the most vocal can give the rest of the transplants a bad name.

NY'ers (I grew up in the UWS) are notoriously horrific travelers. Everything about the bubble life in NYC doesnt translate well outside the bubble except in north Jersey. lol

There are folks that even come here to San Diego and leave ticked off because there is no "culture" here a la museums, ethnic restaurants etc. Its here but in small bites and not nearly as dynamic. We wear flip flops here, dont give a crap about what it doesnt have and just enjoy it. The only thing I think we are probably known for here is the moderate weather and postcard views. But thats not for everyone. Some people like sipping a hot cup o' cocoa, sitting by the fire, whilst the rain comes down, snuggled up in a blanket or having philosophical debates at the local pub or bar.

At some point something has to give for these transplants. Most of them leave here after a few years and whine about something. Like there was promise of a new day here with jobs etc. lol Yeah! good luck!
Its a military and tourist town, always has been and will be for a long time.
Yeah, I find New Yorkers to be terrible about doing research about a place before they move. Its always from second hand like they heard the weather was nice or that houses were cheap. Then they make the jump and complain. Or they use one determining factor about a place to push their move and ignore everything else. My uncle bought a house in a hick town in Florida (Ocala) because he heard it was to be the next Orlando, now he's stuck with two morgages and a house he can't sell and no longer wants to move to. SMH. I strongly suggest thorough research so you can find a place that best suits you.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twist07 View Post

I like the south especially for women, but for cultural purposes i wont move there, IF I was African American probably yeah becauuse of cultural roots and religion but no. I love guns but I dont love god. I come from an Immigrant catholic family, liberal, now Im an Athiest, that wont fit well with people in that enviornment and it will probably make me be on guard for some Red Neck trailer park or black guy from shack to shoot me unless I live amongst other transplants. IT takes one person to be drastically different to upset an whole entire community. For me I would have to move to the Northwestern United States like Seattle or Portland. THe only way for me to fit into southern society is to adapt to its customes and traditions both black and white, and abandon the obnoxious loudmouth NYC background. I respect other peoples house and hospitality, I also respect other peoples cultures and traditions and try to learn from them and not ignore them like transplants in NYC do. If I cant culturally adapt to another culture 100% I would probably expect my children to do so if I ever have kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City