Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM

11 posts, read 36,730 times

Advertisements

Do you ever dream about leaving NYC? If you could (like with a good job and the opportunity to buy a house) would you leave? Where would you go?
I'm curious because I hear people from NY in my area complain about how bad it was there, and how much better it is here (GA). Who else feels like leaving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 09:26 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,472,529 times
I sure do. Every single day. I just hope it becomes a reality soon. Hope to go out west real soon.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:12 AM

824 posts, read 2,784,257 times
Sure, there is more to City Data website than NYC! I browse the boards then go to craigslist and see what rental apartments go for. I've looked at everything from Portland, ME to Sarasota, FL. From Ithaca, NY to Colorado Springs, CO. From Winston-Salem, NC to Wichita, KS. And on and on and on. In a lot of these places you can get a really nice downtown apartment for cheap (compared to NY), and still be walking distance from restaurants, shopping, bars, etc. Some have revitalized warehouse disricts, close to downtown areas with the kind of amenities that go with living near a business district, where you can rent freshly renovated nice-size apartments for much cheaper than NYC.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM

16 posts, read 49,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Do you ever dream about leaving NYC?
Every winter!

But seriously, part of my long term plan is to move to New Orleans, so yes, I dream about leaving. I know I will be here at least 3 more years though.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,340,168 times
Along the coast of Cali. mmmmmm

Maybe it's because I'm here so long but NYC doesn't appeal to me anymore. I love sun and the outdoors. The urban jungle and the weather (half of the year) put me in a bad mood.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,772,044 times
I actually did leave - upstate for college and then lived abroad in France for a bit before resuming graduate school here in NYC.

I missed NYC a lot and after living elsewhere, really can't imagine living anywhere else. Yes, NYC is expensive and yes areas seem to become denser the more time passes - but there are opportunities and goods/services readily available here that aren't so accessible elsewhere.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:11 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,340,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I actually did leave - upstate for college and then lived abroad in France for a bit before resuming graduate school here in NYC.

I missed NYC a lot and after living elsewhere, really can't imagine living anywhere else. Yes, NYC is expensive and yes areas seem to become denser the more time passes - but there are opportunities and goods/services readily available here that aren't so accessible elsewhere.
It really depends on the type of person.

I couldn't really care less about readily available services. It is awesome that I could grab some junk food at 2 am? Yes. Is it awesome that many supermarkets and drug stores are open till 12 am? Of course.
Could I live and be happy without it? Absolutely.

For me the cons outweigh the pros. I hate lookin at concrete, asphalt, and brick all the time and the weather is horrible no matter what anyone says. 100 degrees with high humidity in an urban environment is unbearable. The winters are long and cold.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,326,169 times
Just about every day at some point..but mostly in winter. My dream is a warm beachside...probably South Florida or the Caribbean for the winter months, and then the rest of the time in NYC.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:36 PM

483 posts, read 851,811 times
I'm going on a 10 day vacation to Fort Lauderdale starting tomorrow, and I'm already dreading coming back here. I do love it here but I'm always thinking about where else I can begin the next chapter of my life.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,472,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It really depends on the type of person.

I couldn't really care less about readily available services. It is awesome that I could grab some junk food at 2 am? Yes. Is it awesome that many supermarkets and drug stores are open till 12 am? Of course.
Could I live and be happy without it? Absolutely.

For me the cons outweigh the pros. I hate lookin at concrete, asphalt, and brick all the time and the weather is horrible no matter what anyone says. 100 degrees with high humidity in an urban environment is unbearable. The winters are long and cold.
Truer words were never spoken. I agree 100% with you. Besides, NYC is not the only place that has those types of services anyway.

Last edited by jen5276; 06-14-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City