Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 PM

12 posts, read 24,736 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, white man in his mid-20s and wondering if Flushing would be an alright area to move into without being the only white person in the village? I prefer diverse areas but I feel Flushing might be a little too homogenous for my taste - just based on my research. I'm not looking for a town full of whites, but I don't want to be a minority either, just trying to find a happy medium.

I'm looking for an area around eastern Queens, as my job is in Nassau, and would prefer a more urban environment. So far my choices are between Flushing and Jamaica.

Any help much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 03:36 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
All I can say is Chinatown . Not the same Flushing I knew and grew up in during the 70's and early 80's HMM>>.try Forest Hills, Bayside? Both offer easy cummute to Nassau . Of course depending on where in nassau you work .

Old 07-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the response, Loribell.

I work in Plainview, so a town close to the LIE would be ideal. I'll look into Forest Hills and Bayside, although they might be more suburban than what I was originally looking into, but still more urban than LI at least.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:29 PM

88 posts, read 311,100 times
The box you are in is that there are several factors that say you need to avoid Queens:

1. your limited budget

2. your need to drive to work.... keeping a car in NYC is expensive because of insurance cost and parking.

But it's not an impossible situation. You don't have to socialize where you live, as long as you don't have to travel too far for your social activities.

My recommendation would be to find an apartment in a safe area that you can afford (considering everything including parking and insuring your car, etc.) and just plan on going wherever you need to go for socializing. Most areas in eastern Queens are relatively safe. Exceptions are some areas in Corona and Jamaica.

You won't be able to afford living in western Queens, so focus on eastern Queens. But your budget will probably mean a long search.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:30 PM

154 posts, read 449,545 times
If you like Asian girls, then definitly go for Flushing! Lots of pretty, chic Asian girls.

Yes, it's very Asian, but still diverse! Lots of South Asians (Indians), South Americans etc

Anyway, you better get used to being a minority here in NYC in general.

Forest Hills is not suburban, It's actually very urban. But it might be an inconvenient drive to ur job.

Bayside, bell blvd area by the bridge might be a good choice for you! Lots of apartments and nice restaurants!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
The box you are in is that there are several factors that say you need to avoid Queens:

1. your limited budget

2. your need to drive to work.... keeping a car in NYC is expensive because of insurance cost and parking.

But it's not an impossible situation. You don't have to socialize where you live, as long as you don't have to travel too far for your social activities.

My recommendation would be to find an apartment in a safe area that you can afford (considering everything including parking and insuring your car, etc.) and just plan on going wherever you need to go for socializing. Most areas in eastern Queens are relatively safe. Exceptions are some areas in Corona and Jamaica.

You won't be able to afford living in western Queens, so focus on eastern Queens. But your budget will probably mean a long search.

Huh? Do you know my budget?

I'm actually only looking to rent a room in an apartment which I see those going for $450 - $800, definitely affordable for me. Even here on LI I'm renting a room for that much, I see no need for having my own apartment right now, plus I prefer roommates. Parking might be an issue, but I'm willing to go as far as I have to if need be, some of these apt listings offer parking too.

I appreciate the input though, anything else I should be wary of?

Old 07-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Also considering some places on the Nassau/Queens border like Bellerose and Floral park, which I see as coming up in both counties...though Bayside does seem very convenient too, but not as many listings.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:59 PM

88 posts, read 311,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no futile action View Post
Huh? Do you know my budget?
Well, you did not mention it in this thread so I looked for it in your other posts.

It's impossible to respond to anyone about living in NYC without knowing thier budget.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Flushing is far from being a white area but you won't be the only white person there, there's still a sizable white population there. I go to Main Street often out of boredom and for the most part I think it's a decent area. Just get use to seeing a lot of East Asians.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:54 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
I'm a single, white man in his mid-20s and wondering if Flushing would be an alright area to move into without being the only white person in the village?
Flushing has not been a village since the western-quarter of Queens County was annexed by New York City on January 1, 1898.

Quote:
I'm not looking for a town ...
There are no towns within the City of New York. The City of New York is divided into 5 boroughs (city administrative districts), which are each coterminous with a county in New York State, and these boroughs are sub-divided into neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City