U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:02 PM
 
16 posts, read 34,489 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Heading to nyc in about a month to find a place, but still deciding if I should have a studio or share an apartment with a roommate (we'd split the rent down the middle).

In both cases, my budget would be around $1500 (maybe $1800 if the studio is nice enough). Which option would be more suitable for a college grad starting his first job in the city? Also, I'm only considering Manhattan, and more specifically, places with about a 15-20 minute commute to Midtown.

For a Studio:
What areas should I be looking at?
What size/quality/amenities should I expect for my budget?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,450 posts, read 34,511,962 times
Reputation: 8314
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayugaRed2010 View Post
Heading to nyc in about a month to find a place, but still deciding if I should have a studio or share an apartment with a roommate (we'd split the rent down the middle).

In both cases, my budget would be around $1500 (maybe $1800 if the studio is nice enough). Which option would be more suitable for a college grad starting his first job in the city? Also, I'm only considering Manhattan, and more specifically, places with about a 15-20 minute commute to Midtown.

For a Studio:
What areas should I be looking at?
What size/quality/amenities should I expect for my budget?

Thanks!
Where are you from originally? What amenities are you looking for? You will be definitely sharing if you narrow your search to only Manhattan. And in the event that you do get a studio, you will either be extremely lucky, or will be living in sub-standard conditions.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM
 
16 posts, read 34,489 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Where are you from originally? What amenities are you looking for? You will be definitely sharing if you narrow your search to only Manhattan. And in the event that you do get a studio, you will either be extremely lucky, or will be living in sub-standard conditions.
Originally from the southeast. I'm flexible with the amenities, but would be willing to pay a bit more out of my budget for a doorman building.

What do you mean by sub-standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,450 posts, read 34,511,962 times
Reputation: 8314
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayugaRed2010 View Post
Originally from the southeast. I'm flexible with the amenities, but would be willing to pay a bit more out of my budget for a doorman building.

What do you mean by sub-standard?
Sub-standard as in not up to building code or MDL (multiple dwelling law) standard.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 09:28 AM
 
18 posts, read 36,866 times
Reputation: 18
There are plenty of $1800 range studios in Manhattan that are up to code. That is a ridiculous notion that they would all be dumps. For $1800, expect it to be small, 300ish sq ft. It probably won't have a doorman or an elevator.

There are plenty out there....good ones in good neighborhoods. You just have to look around.

My suggestion, being fresh out of college, is to try and find a roommate and get a 2 bed. Reason being, it is a lot easier to make friends when you have a roommate and you two can hang out together or you can become friends with his friends. Even if you only live together for a year, it will give you a good base for your social scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Confines of the 101 Precinct
19,450 posts, read 34,511,962 times
Reputation: 8314
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop1010 View Post
There are plenty of $1800 range studios in Manhattan that are up to code. That is a ridiculous notion that they would all be dumps. For $1800, expect it to be small, 300ish sq ft. It probably won't have a doorman or an elevator.
Within a 15-20 minute radius to Midtown like OP wants? Not likely. The only desirable place in Manhattan that would have a studio for $1800 is probably the Upper East Side, and it won't be close to Lexington, more like closer to York or 1st Avenue. So it will take you about 10-15 minutes just to get to the subway depending on where you're at. Then good luck trying to even get on the train at rush hour.
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 05:07 PM
 
16 posts, read 34,489 times
Reputation: 11
If the biggest benefit of having a roommate is the increased social scene, would already having a network of friends living/working in manhattan make having a studio a better option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
21,412 posts, read 28,209,529 times
Reputation: 9695
In this order:
1. A bigger Manhattan apartment with a GOOD roommate
2. A 400 square foot studio on UES
3. A one bedroom in Queeens alone

27. A bigger apartment in Manhattan with a BAD roommate.
(a bad roommate will spoil your life!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 05:16 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,243 times
Reputation: 10
Ok, so I too have been contemplating the same thing ever since I landed my internship down by Wall Street. I was sure I wanted to stay downtown because of the social scene and couldn't see myself cooped-up in some small studio apartment. However, if you think you'll save tons of money by getting a roommate, think again.

I fell in love with Gramercy Park area and found, through some friends, the most incredible pl to share with a roomie, with 2 separate bedrooms and 2 bathrooms that even came with its very own private roof deck... but it was going for $4300 per month!! I was blown away just how expensive! But apparently, that's still cheaper than a 1 bedroom, which, in that area, can run about $2800/month. The management office said they allowed 3 tenants, suddenly giving me an image of an adult frat house... total bachelor pad. Hey maybe you'll like it lol... The guy showing it, Joe: mrmartin792@gmail.com

Anyway, now it's only natural that after seeing this place, while on my gruesome apt-hunt, everything looks too small, too dark, too far. Plus the summer is the worst time to go on a search. Good luck! Ha-ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM
 
16 posts, read 34,489 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmapenn View Post
Ok, so I too have been contemplating the same thing ever since I landed my internship down by Wall Street. I was sure I wanted to stay downtown because of the social scene and couldn't see myself cooped-up in some small studio apartment. However, if you think you'll save tons of money by getting a roommate, think again.

I fell in love with Gramercy Park area and found, through some friends, the most incredible pl to share with a roomie, with 2 separate bedrooms and 2 bathrooms that even came with its very own private roof deck... but it was going for $4300 per month!! I was blown away just how expensive! But apparently, that's still cheaper than a 1 bedroom, which, in that area, can run about $2800/month. The management office said they allowed 3 tenants, suddenly giving me an image of an adult frat house... total bachelor pad. Hey maybe you'll like it lol... The guy showing it, Joe: mrmartin792@gmail.com

Anyway, now it's only natural that after seeing this place, while on my gruesome apt-hunt, everything looks too small, too dark, too far. Plus the summer is the worst time to go on a search. Good luck! Ha-ha
I'm sorry, but your incoherent ramble of a post made absolutely no sense. Of course a shared 2 BR would be cheaper than having 1 bedroom by yourself, that's one of the biggest incentives of having a roommate..you split the cost down the middle and maximize your utility (in terms of apartment quality). And people that work in finance, don't say they work "down by Wall Street" like that. I'm working in finance as well. So you're most likely spamming (hello Mr. Joe Martin). Anyway, yea..

Any more tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top