Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 AM

337 posts, read 969,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Well I think they are 2 different cities. I always say Chicago is the little sister to it's big brother NYC.

What I like about NYC is it's a city of cities. I'd say yes, NYC would most def supplement many of the pros about living in Chicago.

Chicago is a great place and sometimes think of moving back.....I did not move away because I wanted to. A job opp came open.

Considering I am a city boy, it was only a matter of time before i move to NYC. I don't know one Chicagoan that does not like NYC. There is never a comparison by native Chicagoan's.

They really are 2 different cities. Chicago is easier to mange, meaning it's not too big to where it overwhelms you. It's a very family friendly city. You listen some folks in the NYC forum talk about the grind, it's not like that in Chicago. It's just a BIG mid-western city. It feels very m-w as well. I don't think Chi is all that fast neither. A lot of people think it is a fast paced city but I don't.

To be honest, I'd rather be in London or Toronto......but NYC will do. I'd just have too many complications moving to another country but that would be the ultimate lifestyle.

Chicago is very mid-western and NYC is very eastern. Even with all of the transplant's moving into NYC, from the m-w, it still retains it's eastern appeal.
Chicago? Are you kidding? Isn't it one of the most dangerous cities in the USA. I think they have a major gang problem. Have you ever heard of Cabreen projects? I saw a documentary about it. Chicago's south and west sides are notorious for poverty and crime. I think a third of the players in the NBA are from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 AM

Well it's home. It is frustrating to think you could be doing better somewhere else. My cousin in ft lauderdale is seven yrs older than me and has a house,boat,and motorcycle. He's not even 30 yet and he and his wife have accomplished so much. When we go visit him it hits me. I start thinking will I have that at 30.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:27 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
For transplants and immigrants the pros wieghs the cons for living in this city, for much natives now adays the cons out wieghs the pros.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
For transplants and immigrants the pros wieghs the cons for living in this city, for much natives now adays the cons out wieghs the pros.
I agree but the city has become less attractive for immigrants. I read an article in the times about how immigrants are flocking to the carolinas, and other parts of the south. I was in south florida and lots of venezuelans and mexicans now. The transplants are just living a fantasy.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:17 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
got tired of the bs and the weather and my landlord offered me some serious cash to leave my rent control apt so i did and moved to the west coast. I don't regret it at all
What part of the West Coast?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
Chicago? Are you kidding? Isn't it one of the most dangerous cities in the USA. I think they have a major gang problem. Have you ever heard of Cabreen projects? I saw a documentary about it. Chicago's south and west sides are notorious for poverty and crime. I think a third of the players in the NBA are from Chicago.

Yaaaaaaaaaaawn.

I'll bet you've never once been to Chicago. I'll bet you're getting all of you info from the media.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 27,990 times
Yes, if you are a Wall street banker and make a six-figure salary. Otherwise you get the worst bang for your buck. Housing is ridiculously expensive. So is just about everything else. Commute is one of the longest in the country. Personally it takes me an hour to get to work on a dirty and crowded subway. True, there are lots of things to do in NY, but unless you have time and money you simply are not able to take advantage of any of the things NYC has to offer.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:25 PM

398 posts, read 698,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99arev View Post
Yes, if you are a Wall street banker and make a six-figure salary. Otherwise you get the worst bang for your buck. Housing is ridiculously expensive. So is just about everything else. Commute is one of the longest in the country. Personally it takes me an hour to get to work on a dirty and crowded subway. True, there are lots of things to do in NY, but unless you have time and money you simply are not able to take advantage of any of the things NYC has to offer.
I agree with this, which is why I posted on the similar thread about folks who're dying to leave (hi!). However, my family and friends (native New Yorkers) ALL LOVE NY! They would never leave. Ever. And they are by no means rich, we are all working class. So there is no rule.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:00 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
New York is a emerald ****..she sparkle she shines..but she can really be a *****...but you still love her...

or kind like an abusive relationship.. you want to leave because the city has beat you down so much but you love it so much you can't help but stay...yeaaa

Old 07-11-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
New York is a emerald ****..she sparkle she shines..but she can really be a *****...but you still love her...

or kind like an abusive relationship.. you want to leave because the city has beat you down so much but you love it so much you can't help but stay...yeaaa
Oh come on with this.......you guys keep talking about the grind, worn out, now the beat down.............bottom line, if NYC was affordable we would not be having this conversation.

Just admit, you cannot afford it and it's time to go where you can.

Nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City