Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 02:30 PM

140 posts, read 268,533 times

Advertisements

As someone who moved out of NYC 10 years ago and who just came back, I can safely say that I'm extremely happy of being here.

During those 10 years, I lived in Barcelona, Miami, and Philadelphia. While I loved living in everyone of those cities, a good deal of those 10 years were spent longing for NY. I may move away again in a few years, but it will not be because I don't like living here - more to do with wanting to experience other things.

What do I love about New York more than anything? Being able to go to the Village Vanguard on a Tuesday night on a whim to listen to the best Jazz in the world for $20 bucks, drink included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:37 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,533,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Based on my previous thread, I want to know how you feel about the city you live in. DO you actually like living there, or do you hate it like the majority of people?
Your statistics are irretrievably skewed. "The majority of people" do not hate living in New York City. Maybe a lot of people whose responses you read--but they're not even a drop in the bucket as far as the population of NYC is concerned.

And for your records, I'm a native son of Brooklyn who thinks the world of my home borough. I am not moving anywhere.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,569,155 times
As crazy as it sounds, I loved living there for the practicalities and conveniences it offered. Not needing a car, not needing to go grocery shopping or cook, not needing to do my own laundry, and springtime hayfever was basically non existent for me. Lot's of people to interact with/meet, which forced me out of the "too comfortable" zone and to not be a hermit or recluse. You naturally summon yourself to become more at ease and tolerant of "people" in general, which I say is healthy.

So yes, I found many practical advantages to living there that made me say "huh, I really like living here." In some ways it didn't get any better for a low maintenance bachelor like myself.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,569,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
If your talkin about Manhattan its cool to hang out, but waaaay over rated and over priced to live in. I LOVE living in Brooklyn though!!
Exactly. Manhattan is the fun destination but close-in Brooklyn is the place to be for the best combination of price and lifestyle. You pay a huge premium but don't get a huge marginal gain in convenience or lifestyle. Mostly just for bragging rights.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM
zdg

845 posts, read 1,969,295 times
Good sweet deity, why would I want to live anywhere but New York City? What in the world would I be getting that I can't get here, easier, within walking distance?

Old 06-15-2011, 06:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 5,482,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Good sweet deity, why would I want to live anywhere but New York City? What in the world would I be getting that I can't get here, easier, within walking distance?
Nice weather, nicer people, fresh clean air, cheaper prices.....

Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 PM

684 posts, read 1,813,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Nice weather, nicer people, fresh clean air, cheaper prices.....
I get 3 outta 4...

Weather is subjective..I personally love the fact that we have different seasons. And since I hate the heat I wouldn't want summer year round.

New York City is full of nice people ! I still dont understand why we get tagged with the "rude" flag. Am I walking about smiling? No. But i've never NOT helped someone whose asked for directions etc..

And I have no issue with the dirty New York air..LOL. Doesn't bother me at all. The subway heat in the summer bothers me more.

Although the cost of living sucks...if your smart about your $$ you can have a blast and not be a millionaire.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM

3,073 posts, read 5,482,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
I get 3 outta 4...

Weather is subjective..I personally love the fact that we have different seasons. And since I hate the heat I wouldn't want summer year round.

New York City is full of nice people ! I still dont understand why we get tagged with the "rude" flag. Am I walking about smiling? No. But i've never NOT helped someone whose asked for directions etc..

And I have no issue with the dirty New York air..LOL. Doesn't bother me at all. The subway heat in the summer bothers me more.

Although the cost of living sucks...if your smart about your $$ you can have a blast and not be a millionaire.
I dont think the majority of NYers are nice,JMO. Stereotypes are there for a reason, most people find NYers to be rude. Today man practically plowed over me to run across the street. another stepped on my foot as he crossed the street and another let the door to my building slam in my face. RUDE! And no sorry either!!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:36 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,071,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Stereotypes are there for a reason, most people find NYers to be rude.
How can you possibly assert that "most" people find NYers to be rude? How could you know?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 PM

33,876 posts, read 47,070,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
How can you possibly assert that "most" people find NYers to be rude? How could you know?
I appreciate the fight in you Henna, but let bygones be bygones. NYC obviously rubbed her the wrong way and its not for her.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City