Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:25 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I appreciate the fight in you Henna, but let bygones be bygones. NYC obviously rubbed her the wrong way and its not for her.
Thanks. I'll let it go. I think OP of this thread, HollyF, did a hit and run on us anyway. Talk about rude! A New Yorker would never do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:33 PM

125 posts, read 229,138 times
I was born and raised here, and I will always love it. But the fact remains that it's too expensive for a single mom like me. If I ever want to own property, I need to leave.

The daily grind gets to me and most of the times I ***** and moan, but there's certain times of the year when I love it here. Christmas time in New York is the best! Even with all the tourists. And there is almost too much for kids to do here. And so much of it is free or low cost which is great for me. I also love the diversity and the fact that there are so many neighborhoods to choose from.

And hey, where else can you find 3 or more 24 hour bodegas in a 5 block radius? Run out of toilet paper? Have a craving for a candy bar at 2 am? No problem.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I dont think the majority of NYers are nice,JMO. Stereotypes are there for a reason, most people find NYers to be rude. Today man practically plowed over me to run across the street. another stepped on my foot as he crossed the street and another let the door to my building slam in my face. RUDE! And no sorry either!!
The scenario you described I've seen in practically every city I've lived in or been to. New Yorkers are quick to give directions and advice. Over here you're confronted with so many different personalities that you wouldn't otherwise come across in a car-culture city where you have little contact with other people outside home or work.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4ARainbow View Post
I was born and raised here, and I will always love it. But the fact remains that it's too expensive for a single mom like me. If I ever want to own property, I need to leave.

The daily grind gets to me and most of the times I ***** and moan, but there's certain times of the year when I love it here. Christmas time in New York is the best! Even with all the tourists. And there is almost too much for kids to do here. And so much of it is free or low cost which is great for me. I also love the diversity and the fact that there are so many neighborhoods to choose from.

And hey, where else can you find 3 or more 24 hour bodegas in a 5 block radius? Run out of toilet paper? Have a craving for a candy bar at 2 am? No problem.
I agree, it sucks that the cost of living forces out people who would otherwise rather stay.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:05 PM

177 posts, read 416,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyF View Post
Based on my previous thread, I want to know how you feel about the city you live in. DO you actually like living there, or do you hate it like the majority of people?
hate it like the majority of who? what people do you mean?

In answer to the question, do you actually like living here? sure!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:31 PM

177 posts, read 416,367 times
Okay, your previous thread asks the question if anyone dreams of leaving. So the responses will tend to be about thoughts or ideas regarding leaving NY. So?

Also, if the people you know from NY and living where you are now complain about NY, well so what? They didn't want to be here and left. Nothing wrong with that but why come to the NY forum ultimately seemingly to want to reach a discussion on "hate"ing NY?
No big deal and all, I'll believe you're just being sincere and maybe listen to a lot of haters of NY or something. Nothing wrong with asking the question, but your conclusion is really faulty.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Well, Holly, you wanted to know how people felt. What do you think about the responses so far?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 AM

11 posts, read 36,868 times
They are...interesting. It's just that people around me (including myself) have always wondered how people could live on these small little islands with so much overcrowding and expense and actually like being there. I've always thought that because it was so expensive, no one ever ever got to do any of the things that people say NYC is great for.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:34 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Thanks for pointing this out. Most delusional new jerseyans actually think Jersey city is a good ultra convenient alternative
I mean Jersey City is cool but basically I don't care how close to NY you live you need a car in Jersey.

I got tired of having to rely on a bus & train timetable and once you miss it oh well you're SOL until the next one comes.

Also didn't like that everything even the corner stores close at 10PM.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I've done Jersey City waterfront and now Manhattan. I am here because I DO LIKE Manhattan more and will probably not move again, even though I am now twice as far from Greenwich Village or Chelsea as I was.

I am also saving several hundred a month now, believe it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City