Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,997 times

Advertisements

I am thinking that since New York City is having so much demand for housing and commercial properties to support those housing, do you think that one day Staten Island which is mostly suburban housing could one day be completely rezoned to become like Manhattan (with skyscrapers and all) in order to meet the demand? There are so many people moving into New York City per year and it just never seems to stop so I think one day Staten Island will be transformed into a second Manhattan.

I personally think it could take a while, but the changes would be too destructive. Even if it takes 50 years of constant demand, I think having so much demand and a rush to fulfill it would be bad and is very unhealthy. Staten Island would then become a sea of modern glass and steel highrises after they flattened vast swaths of all the other boroughs first to meet demand for people to live here as they build more skyscrapers. If real estate developers ran NYC I bet they would do that so that they could topple down thousands of single family homes in Staten Island in a rush to make the biggest profit as fast as possible by building 300 meter tall luxury condos and the like once they ran out of space in the other 4 boroughs.

Do you ever see that maybe 25 to 100 years down the road if demand for living in New York never stops and mayors or the city government give in to demand that one day Staten Island will be redone over and turned into another Manhattan filled with skyscrapers?

Would you like it if they changed the zoning of Staten Island to be like Manhattan and gradually change it to R10 and other things like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
I am thinking that since New York City is having so much demand for housing and commercial properties to support those housing, do you think that one day Staten Island which is mostly suburban housing could one day be completely rezoned to become like Manhattan (with skyscrapers and all) in order to meet the demand? There are so many people moving into New York City per year and it just never seems to stop so I think one day Staten Island will be transformed into a second Manhattan.

I personally think it could take a while, but the changes would be too destructive. Even if it takes 50 years of constant demand, I think having so much demand and a rush to fulfill it would be bad and is very unhealthy. Staten Island would then become a sea of modern glass and steel highrises after they flattened vast swaths of all the other boroughs first to meet demand for people to live here as they build more skyscrapers. If real estate developers ran NYC I bet they would do that so that they could topple down thousands of single family homes in Staten Island in a rush to make the biggest profit as fast as possible by building 300 meter tall luxury condos and the like once they ran out of space in the other 4 boroughs.

Do you ever see that maybe 25 to 100 years down the road if demand for living in New York never stops and mayors or the city government give in to demand that one day Staten Island will be redone over and turned into another Manhattan filled with skyscrapers?

Would you like it if they changed the zoning of Staten Island to be like Manhattan and gradually change it to R10 and other things like that?
I doubt that they would put a significant number of skyscrapers in Staten Island. I think Brooklyn only has 1 skyscraper and the rest of the boroughs have none.

I think the thing that would prevent a significant number of high-rises from being constructed is the fact that we are so isolated. The only link to Manhattan we have is the ferry, and although we have express buses and some buses to Brooklyn, no developer is going to find that it is worth their time to build here unless a subway is built connecting us to Manhattan.

Even then, I think there would be limits as to how far out the developers would go. I don't think you would see any real development in, say Tottenville, even though they have the SIR to Manhattan. They are simply too far. The North Shore I can see being redeveloped assuming that they get the North Shore Rail Line up and running.

As far as upzoning goes, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of 10 story buildings spread out across different neighborhoods (we already have some, but to a lesser extent), but I think it would spoil the suburban character of the borough if every single neighborhood were filled with high-rises (like I said, the development will follow the public transportation, the way development followed the subway, and in some areas, it just won't be worth building tall buildings on them because they are too far from Manhattan)

Old 06-15-2011, 11:22 PM

10 posts, read 24,413 times
One island of pretentiousness and overpriced housing is quite enough. Why would you want another?

Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,474 times
I doubt it. What draws people to the city is the diversity, transportation, jobs and schools. Staten Island, while it does have diversity, can't really compare to that of the city. Hell, I know people who live there that haven't left that Island for years. Transportation - I don't really need to explain that. A bridge into Brooklyn that cost mad money, one train and an already crowded ferry.
If Staten Island did turn into the city, you would have to uproot A LOT of people and houses and totally redo the transportation system. It would probably be the last borough though, the Bronx probably has a better chance that Staten Island.
Besides, I like SI just the way it is, accents and all.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKFire108 View Post
...I think one day Staten Island will be transformed into a second Manhattan.
Why everyone seems to think that some part of NYC is going to become the "next" Manhattan is beyond my comprehension. And in any case, Staten Island will have to get on line behind Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Queens--even assuming a direct subway line between that borough and Manhattan is ever built.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:53 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
No. In addition to what other posters have stated, much of Staten Island is protected wetlands now. Even so, much of this land is unsuitable for large buildings.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:24 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I doubt that they would put a significant number of skyscrapers in Staten Island. I think Brooklyn only has 1 skyscraper and the rest of the boroughs have none.
there is 1 skyscraper in Queens, LIC i think.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 AM

425 posts, read 391,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
I think many of the new buildings in Downtown Brooklyn could be considered skyscrapers as well, with respect to the surrounding building stock.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:37 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Never gonna happen.

Since 9/11 it has been clear that the only chance for any adjunct Manhattan is Hudson County, NJ. Already the Jersey City shorline, 10 minutes from Wall Street has far more skyscrapers than Staten Island could ever dream of having. There is also the added appeal of no NYC personal income tax.

There's no getting around the tortuous commute from Staten Island and in the dozens of boom periods where Manhattan "expands" there has been no expansion into Staten Island.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:07 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post

Citigroup tower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: