Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 07:42 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times

Advertisements

I just make my own at home. It's really easy and not all that time consuming. You can make them any size, any shape, and add as much or as little salt that you want. I agree the street cart food, including pretzels, have been on the decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:10 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,060 times
buy the frozen ones they are very good

Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
I agree, do you put them in the oven or in the microwave?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:53 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
This is a seriously silly, but the horribleness of NYC street pretzels was one of my biggest disappointments when I moved here. It's been over 15 years and I'm still a bit bitter.

I agree that the frozen kind are better than any you will find in the street and they cook in the microwave in seconds. So very sad.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:15 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
NYC pretzels and NYC hot dogs are nothing special, and in fact never were anything special. NYC is somewhat known for these street food items only due to the QUANTITY of vendors that sell them throughout the city, specifically in Manhattan.

For pretzels, it's Philadelphia. For hot dogs - Chicago. For pizza - still NY, but my recommendation is always to go anywhere except Manhattan for good pizza.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
The quality of the street pretzel has diminished so significantly, as I think they are made by one or two factories and sold frozen, in bulk.

For a refreshing pretzel, the German soft variety, check out Sigmund Pretzels at their cafe on the LES or their cart by the steps of the Met. For a good non-street pretzel, I would also try Kossar's as the pretzel offering is not bad, especially considering they are much more famous for the bialy.

For hard pretzels, I like Martin's from the Union Square Greenmarket, which do come from Pennsylvania Dutch County.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,358,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
I agree, do you put them in the oven or in the microwave?
i don't own a microwave. I only use the oven. Just be cautious they cook fast.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The quality of the street pretzel has diminished so significantly, as I think they are made by one or two factories and sold frozen, in bulk.
For me, it wasn't the quality of the pretzel, but the preparation. The NYC street vendors seem to leave the pretzels on a heat source for hours. At best you get something sort of soggy on the surface and hard on the bottom or just hard as a rock throughout.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:19 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
NYC pretzels and NYC hot dogs are nothing special, and in fact never were anything special. NYC is somewhat known for these street food items only due to the QUANTITY of vendors that sell them throughout the city, specifically in Manhattan.

For pretzels, it's Philadelphia. For hot dogs - Chicago. For pizza - still NY, but my recommendation is always to go anywhere except Manhattan for good pizza.
To add to that, Nathan's is HIGHLY overrated.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
coming from philly i know exactly what you mean.

Philly soft pretzles are a staple diet to philadelphians and I've been here for more than 10 years and I still can't find anything like it.
There was a thread on the Philly forum about the disappearance of the Pretzel vendors who used to sell bags of 4-5 Pretzels for $1 along the median strips. Like you I am 2000 miles away and only recieve the occaisional care package, luckily they nuke well if you just rub a little water on the surface
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City