Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,242,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Out to where ? It never really made it to the South Side or East of the BQE.So far it's in a pretty confined area,North Side between the BQE and the river.I think Sobroguy is right about it continuing along the Waterfront but not sure about much else.Still a lot of failed condo and rental projects in Bushwick. Things seem to have stalled there.

I also think cotb has a good point about the Asian invasion.Something tells me that is going to be a much bigger thing going forward than the hipsters.Same thing is happening simultaneously in many different areas of the city.A large and increasing number of real estate transfers( both houses and apartments) in my neighborhood( Pelham Parkway,Morris Park,Pelham Bay) show buyers with very Asian sounding names.They seem to like Italian neighborhoods.
I just visited NY after about 4 yrs (I've been back but usually quick trips in and out) and gentrification is spreading like wildfire. I've never seen so many white people in Bushwick, Bed-Stuy, Clinton Hills and Fort Greene ever before in my life... it was actually quite shocking and I almost crashed several times breaking my neck to make sure it wasn't an illusion. I mean, folks have moved deep into the hood so I would not limit the concept of gentrification only to Williamsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,343,139 times
VSmove, the reality is that NYC as a whole, including Brooklyn, are becoming LESS white, LESS Black, and MUCH MORE Hispanic and More Asian. What you are seeing are a few neighborhoods in Brooklyn with some whites moving in...the rest of the borough has a major exodus of whites, with much of them being replaced by Hispanics/Asians/Arabs.

Don't be fooled by the few exceptions...the city is in fact becoming less white, as it has been for decades.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:58 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,082 times
Agree with sobro on this one... @ vsmooth where did you see the ton of white people in bushwick... just for the record does 5 on one block equate to all over the place?

Cause I live on the border and pass through here frecuently and while I do see a few walking around in the daytime it isn't a dramatic difference from let's say 10 years ago... You might be possibly looking at either east williamsburg or parts of Bed-stuy...

Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM

22 posts, read 57,394 times
Found this great map on population density, thought some people may find it useful too:

If anyone has pop density on a map where you can zoom in to investigate in greater detail I'll appreciate if you post a link.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:07 PM

By the way, according to http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/map areas around Brooklyn Museum have seen White population rise by over 1000% in some cases. I suppose the percentage wasn't that significant 10 years ago to start with, hence such figures, but worth noting nonetheless.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,796,082 times
Again those percentages can be very deceiving especially when dealing with tracts when the reality about many tracts is that they aren't that large...

For example, in 2000 the white population could have been very tiny in that for example 10 or 20 people and now has a little over 100 to 200 people... it is a major percentage increase but the population of whites overall really didn't grow that much...

Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 PM

Naturally, but it does indicate a trend, at least for that tract. According to my observations, White population of Brooklyn is growing due to Hipsters in the North and due to new European immigrants in the South, the latter has been growing by great amounts, in the last couple of years in particular.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:20 PM

9,243 posts, read 24,023,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTimeless View Post
Naturally, but it does indicate a trend, at least for that tract. According to my observations, White population of Brooklyn is growing due to Hipsters in the North and due to new European immigrants in the South, the latter has been growing by great amounts, in the last couple of years in particular.
Your observations are wrong.According to census data,the white population of Brooklyn was 56% in 1980,51% in 1990,44% in 2000 and 41% in 2010.And that includes Hispanics who identify as white.The population of "non hispanic whites" is around 35%. The white population in Brooklyn been steadily declining for decades although the decline slowed in the last decade.

Brooklyn's demographics are closer to the city's demographics than any other borough.Currently,the city's racial composition is about 35% non hispanic white,27% Hispanic,25% Black,12% Asian,2% mixed.

Decline in the white population is definitely the trend city wide and it will continue in every borough except maybe Manhattan.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:23 PM

I see, I suppose it's really neighborhood-specific.

Here's another great source: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/cens...2010/pgrhc.pdf

Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 PM

9,243 posts, read 24,023,373 times
[quote=AstroTimeless;19708094]I see, I suppose it's really neighborhood-specific.

Exactly.There may be a few more white people in a few neighborhoods than there were in 2000 but it doesn't change the larger trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City