Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 02:21 PM

22 posts, read 57,529 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm glad that I have found this forum, seems like the right place to pose my inquiry.

I need information on which neighborhoods has been seeing the most dynamic change, i.e. gentrification. Are there such maps, showing shift of populations, that are published on annual basis, to see change and trends, for example, within the last 5 years and/or predict by extrapolation of the trends data for the coming years?

Perhaps if someone could direct me to some city or government agency that published such information, that would be great, or post anything relating to these changes here.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:22 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,043 times
Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

There you go! You can also see the demographic changes from 2000 to 2010.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:31 PM

Wow, very nice, thanks a lot!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:35 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Williamsburg was definitely at the center of gentrification and demographic change between 2000 and 2010 but it might be a big mistake to try to extrapolate and predict anything by it because it was a decade that is not likely to be repeated.Everything has changed.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:58 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,973 times
Another change is the rising influx of Asians in Southwest Brooklyn (namely Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Gravesend, and Sunset Park). As Italians move away to either Staten Island or New Jersey and the rents continue to rise in Chinatown, more and more Chinese are bound for Brooklyn.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Williamsburg was definitely at the center of gentrification and demographic change between 2000 and 2010 but it might be a big mistake to try to extrapolate and predict anything by it because it was a decade that is not likely to be repeated.Everything has changed.
So you don't think that Williamsburg gentrification will continue and expand further out?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:33 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
It is most definitely continuing..in fact it's just getting started. They have the entire waterfront that needs development.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:19 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,075,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroTimeless View Post
So you don't think that Williamsburg gentrification will continue and expand further out?
Out to where ? It never really made it to the South Side or East of the BQE.So far it's in a pretty confined area,North Side between the BQE and the river.I think Sobroguy is right about it continuing along the Waterfront but not sure about much else.Still a lot of failed condo and rental projects in Bushwick. Things seem to have stalled there.

I also think cotb has a good point about the Asian invasion.Something tells me that is going to be a much bigger thing going forward than the hipsters.Same thing is happening simultaneously in many different areas of the city.A large and increasing number of real estate transfers( both houses and apartments) in my neighborhood( Pelham Parkway,Morris Park,Pelham Bay) show buyers with very Asian sounding names.They seem to like Italian neighborhoods.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-21-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Out to where ? It never really made it to the South Side or East of the BQE.So far it's in a pretty confined area,North Side between the BQE and the river.I think Sobroguy is right about it continuing along the Waterfront but not sure about much else.Still a lot of failed condo and rental projects in Bushwick. Things seem to have stalled there.

I also think cotb has a good point about the Asian invasion.Something tells me that is going to be a much bigger thing going forward than the hipsters.Same thing is happening simultaneously in many different areas of the city.A large and increasing number of real estate transfers( both houses and apartments) in my neighborhood( Pelham Parkway,Morris Park,Pelham Bay) show buyers with very Asian sounding names.They seem to like Italian neighborhoods.
Very true...

Old 06-21-2011, 10:52 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,915,268 times
Prospect Heights, Williamsburg, and Greenpoint are much whiter then they were in 2000 apparently, and Bensonhurst, Gravesend, and Sunset Park have more Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City