Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you encourage people to move to NYC?
YES 13 23.21%
NO 43 76.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:29 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,558,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
How could anyone answer yes or no without knowing something about the person,what they are interested in and whether they have a job offer or good job prospects ?

We need a 3rd option: Depends on Circumstances.
Everything always depends on circumstances, but I'd say the biggest factor is what somebody had going right now.

I'd never recommend any leave a good paying stable job in another city or state to go try NYC. Not these days. But, if you've been laid off and aren't confident your current city would offer any better opportunties, and you want to live in New York...options are options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:07 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,537,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie1990 View Post
"This is a very competitive city and people must be above average to live here. *Survival of the fittest* takes on a new meaning here!"

Oh B.S.... and here we have the pretentiousness that NYC's inhabitants are famous for. What is above average? Being a trust fund baby? Knowing all the right people to fit into the "right" social circles? Being LUCKY that mommy and daddy paid their way through college so they have the best degree's to get the best jobs? Those who survive day to day in this over-rated, over-hyped, over-priced cesspool seem pretty "above average" to me as well. Anyone who made it work here would fit that bill and I am not just talking about the rich fat cat's who walk around with their pretentious noses up in the air. Get over yourselves, please...

New York City was at one time a place for everyone to come to fulfill their dreams . EVERYONE. Now, unless you can afford thousands for a small dump, you are deemed "below average" and unwelcome. Being able to afford an overpriced apartment doesn't make someone more "above average" than the next. Try lucky. Now that's more like it. That fat paycheck can go away, too, then it's back to "below averageville"!!
People have to make *above average salaries * IF they are going to live here comfortably. Sorry but this is not the place for average unless people want to live on the brink of poverty. There are plenty of places in America where people can live average....unfortunately this is not one of them. Who on earth implied that being able to afford an overpriced apartment made someone better than someone that could not afford it? Here we have someone who has a self esteem problem!

Average people with average salaries fall on hard times everyday in this city. Here above average salary = good living or below average = bad living here...the politics in this city has made it so that there is no room for the middle. As you said in your own post....."New York City WAS at one time a place for everyone to come to fulfill their dreams"!

The key word in your statement is WAS....that was in the past, things are not that way anymore. Either you are above average here or you are in trouble and this is not the place you should be living....PERIOD!

Did not say that I agree with what has happened in this city.....just stating FACTS.

Here is what has happened to other people who thought this city was the right place to live for the average person! Many of these people believed the same thing when they decided to pack their bags and come here.

City Buys One-Way Tickets Home for Homeless Families - NYTimes.com

Last edited by NewYorkBorn; 06-24-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,559,367 times
If a person is in a position to do it, at the right point in their lives- try a sublet for a few months. It's similiar to what I did and it gave me a real taste of the city without being obligated to a lease. NYC is such a huge city you could easily spend a few months just getting lost in it while navigating a job search. While the job part didn't work out the way I'd hoped, I still had a great time just exploring and going on a new adventure there every day. It's a great way to live when you're young and footloose, if only for a short while and you have the funds to do it.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,162,110 times
I stand by my "NO" vote.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:18 PM

749 posts, read 2,448,471 times
No risk, no reward. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:34 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,162,110 times
Yeah..jobs are generally something I don't care to risk. If it's moving up from a position, yes, but not just actually landing one period.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 PM

346 posts, read 1,253,927 times
And what really needs to be said here is that the unemployment rate in NYC is at 8.9%, with the national average at 9.1, so there really aren't that many more available jobs per capita than everywhere else in the country. If your looking for places with low unemployment, you're better off going to the south, honestly.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,786,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
The company I'm currently at laid off 3 people in the week I came in. I used to think firing was industry specific, but it's not. That seems like the name of the game in NYC. I honestly don't know but one person who has had their job more than 5 years. I'm talking from office assistant to executive.

I always get the feeling that they fire people so they can continue to rehire at a lower salary.
Precisely.

On one hand its a form of cost cutting. Fire ans experienced employee earning 2X salary, and hire young know nothing for 1X. Put the pressure on the remaing employees to pick up the slack until oung and know nothing becomes productive.

On the other, it can be a form of expansion w/o having to extend the budget. In this senario, fire long time employee earning 3X, and hire 3 know nothings at 1X apiece. Budget remains the same, remaining employees have to turn into super employees just to maintain.

Here's another scenario, revenue is down, bonus' are threatened. The solution fire long time employe earning 3X, and use his salary to bolster the bonus pool. Everyone is happy to get their expected bonus, but now picking up the slack is the price.

All are true.

Here's another company announces layoffs of roughly 20% of the workforce. Gives all sorts of palatable explanations. This is a small NYC firm, small by NYC standards. Virtuall all the employees long time, at least 10 years, half pushing 15 to 20 years. All earning upper middle or better salaries.

Company allows management to cherry pick employees to be laid off. At every level, all grugdes were paid off. Went to a wedding rather than work when your boss was short handed? You're out. Didn't back your boss up in a meeting a year ago? You're out. On and on house was cleaned. 2 months later company begins to hire replacements. 6 months later the firm is back at previous staffing levels. All replacements were young inexperienced and cheap! Company also swithced from a pension retirement plan to 401K. Granted the firm was quite generous with severance, but it was all just serious cost cutting and the of the firm's old covenant of lifetime employment.

So some of you younguns need to stop and think, what happened to the guy who used to sit at my desk. Some of those new hires began to think the company was expanding and doing real well!!

But honestly, Bingcherry, you must not know many people to say 5 years is the max for everyone you know. I suppose they are all Transplants, which then makes sense.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:53 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,433,245 times
Here is something else about starting a business in the city of New York because of how the game is played there compared to other places in the country ..

Back in Sep-Oct time frame of 2010 we started to look at place to open in the Manhattan area and since we allready own two liguer lic's allready it was time to put them to work in the city to earn there money back that was spent on buying them ..

There was getting fringer printed for the diff things the city need to have my fringer printed and getting my bond lined up and getting insurance for the place lined up .

In the allmost 5 months i have been here full time dealing with the city over getting the basic's of getting all my duck's lined up & in a row for city to come in and review them i have come to figure this out about working with the city in this one area ..

There is allways someone standing in the next dept that you deal with in the city with there hand out for some type of gift to be paid to them in the way of tickets to ball games or dinner out with them and you pick up the check ..

Which is normal way of doing business to a point i understand and get it but the NYC has it own way of slowing you down if your not playing the game in the city ..

But the city does it best at times to make a small outside the state company not want to come to the area and not open up a business ..

Old 06-25-2011, 08:21 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,537,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
And what really needs to be said here is that the unemployment rate in NYC is at 8.9%, with the national average at 9.1, so there really aren't that many more available jobs per capita than everywhere else in the country. If your looking for places with low unemployment, you're better off going to the south, honestly.
I left NYC and lived in the south (South Carolina) for a few years. Believe me the south is worse off than NYC with regards to jobs. The reason is because unlike NYC the south placed most of its eggs in one industry basket (manufacturing). In spite of economic difficulties NYC has the most diverse job market that I have seen anywhere.

While living in South Carolina I could not find a job....either the jobs were in manufacturing which I have no background in or they paid $9 an hour. Sometimes I think that people forget that salaries are tied to cost of living. But even with the south's cheap cost of living a grown person still cannot live on $9 an hour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City