Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 06:12 PM

190 posts, read 430,478 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I've been to NYC a bunch, starting from when I was a kid through my past four years in college in New Jersey. But I am going for the first time on my own for a five day visit (June 24-29) and would love some suggestions from locals on what to see around town.

I enjoy art, especially modern art. I am very much into urban studies/planning/history and architecture (Isn't there some exhibit at a NYC museum on the history of urban planning or urban development in New York? Is it still around?) I would also love to hear suggestions on things to do that are either off the beaten path or are time sensitive to late June, or unique to 2011.

I'm sure requests from tourists get tedious to the New Yorker but I would really like to flesh out my experience with the city. I've been to all the typical tourist spots (although I would revisit some of the museums) and even if there is not a particular site or event that you think I might find interesting, if you have a particular part of the city that is relatively unknown to tourists but affords interests views or a unique cultural experience, I would be open to any suggestions.

Thanks to all who take the time to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,095 times
I strongly recommend the QUEENS MUSEUM OF ART. Just take the number 7 train (a ride on elevated tracks worth just for the trip) to Flushing Meadows. The museum is right next door. Inside is a to scale replica of all of New York City. Even the water towers on top of the skyscrapers are included in the model. I am not really into art but it was definitly worth a look.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 PM

176 posts, read 374,565 times
Can always check out the Bronx Zoo. Also the Meadowlands Fair arrives 6/24 too. There are buses that leave from Port Authority to the Meadowlands regulary. Many museums on museum mile on Fifth Ave also.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,085 times
There is a skyscraper museum downtown; I've never been but it may be worth looking into. The Museum of the City of New York is often overlooked and can be worth checking out depending on the exhibit. There is also the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum.

Although it will be swarmed, I would check out the newly opened portion of the Highline. And maybe go to an outdoor movie at Bryant Park, Brooklyn Bridge Park or the west side piers.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 PM

130 posts, read 163,181 times
as a native nyc-er, i'd recommend the new museum of art and design at columbus circle for modern art, and for out there modern art- the classic moma. i would also recommend the brooklyn bridge as a good walk and end off at brooklyn bridge park which has a bunch of june-stuff to do like kayaking and boating occasionally.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Lower East Side galleries Self-Guided Tours of The Lower East Side Galleries
Combine with the New Museum New Museum :: NewMuseum.org

Go check out what is going on on Governor's Island (about a 5 minute boat ride from Manhattan). There are often art exhibits going on there and even if not, it's a fun place to visit. The Trust for Governors Island - Visit the Island - Calendar of Events

PS1 in Queens MoMA PS1
Wave Hill in the Bronx Art at Wave Hill

And for really off the beaten track places, check out "You'd never believe you are in NYC" on forgotten NY
you'd never believe (http://www.forgotten-ny.com/YOU'D%20NEVER%20BELIEVE/You'd%20Never%20Believe%20homepage/believe.html - broken link)

Old 06-21-2011, 10:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
You could also check the website for Open House NY, which is a weekend of open houses in architectural sites all around the city. Your trip will not coincide with the event, but you can see what sites they include by searching borough by borough at this link. All sites have photos and a little bit of info.

edit: the specific link to the search box isn't working, but just go to http://www.ohny.org/programs/ (broken link)
and click on site listings and then search by borough.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Since you mention that you like modern art, I would suggest visiting the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art: MoMA | The Museum of Modern Art), the New Museum on Bowery St. (New Museum :: NewMuseum.org) and El Museo del Barrio (El Museo del Barrio New York) which located across the street from the Museum of the City of NY (Museum of the City of New York : MCNY Homepage - also probably of interest to you).

Old 06-22-2011, 12:58 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
Isamu Noguchi Museum is wonderful, it's in queens but I think if you've already seen some of the modern art museums before, you may want to give this one a try.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:16 AM

190 posts, read 430,478 times
thanks for all of the helpful suggestions! i'm excited to explore some of these spots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City