U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 PM

233 posts, read 802,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are jobs in Upstate NY, but you just have to know where to look and it depends on what you can do: New York's Creative Core

Central New York Jobs

Also, many places grew or held steady in terms of population. So, it depends on where you go.

Also, it would be great for minority small businesses if they look at such communities in cities and towns up here.
Thanks for posting the links, I forwarded them to a friend living in Peekskill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 08:36 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,042,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True and places like Beacon, Peekskill, Nyack and parts of Orange County, among others, could be good alternatives. It would be interesting to see what happens if the high speed rail project actually happens too.
If the high speed rail happens those areas will become really attractive places to live. NY state population is over 19 million.....over 8 million live here in the 5 boroughs, that leaves over 11 million living in the areas of NY that are outside the 5 boroughs. When I look at those numbers that really says a lot about the potential for development that exists in this state. I think people tend to forget that NYC in its current form was created by people and evolved to it's present day status over the course of years.

Just like we created this city there is no reason that we can't spread out upstate and create business's that will not only create jobs in the region but will attract people to live there. The only tricky part would be to stop the demand to live there from causing an outrageous cost of living like we have here in the 5 boroughs.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:42 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,263,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post

I think NYC is fine if you are young and just want to have fun and don't mind having roommates or living in a small apartment. But, there comes a point when you would like to see the result of killing yourself working.
That's just foolish. You have it in your mind that NYC is for young people?

MOST of the people that can afford to live in NYC are by far not young people with roommates. I am sure some are but I would bet many are not.

NYC is not some "playground" for young people until it's time to grow up.

Damn, some of the stuff on this forum.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:04 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,192,249 times
NYC will always have its good amount of Blacks. We may be loosing AA, but we have Blacks from other countries to make up the numbers. And is good that people desegregate. Even if Gentrification is at fault. People can't be living in segregated communities for too long. NYC should diversify up neighborhoods more. There are always rent control and more subsidize public housing been built up.

Old 06-25-2011, 06:39 PM

233 posts, read 802,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
That's just foolish. You have it in your mind that NYC is for young people?

MOST of the people that can afford to live in NYC are by far not young people with roommates. I am sure some are but I would bet many are not.

NYC is not some "playground" for young people until it's time to grow up.

Damn, some of the stuff on this forum.

Ummm, what are you so uptight about? -It's not that serious.

I have 90% of my family still residing all over NYC and I visit often. So, when I say NYC is great when you are young that's what I mean. When I lived in NYC I worked, attended school, shopped and partied it up. However, most teens/young adults do not earn a salary required of many tenements. So, with that said many young people have to share apartments. This is not a big deal at all when you are young, but when you begin to earn respectable wages that are only eaten up by taxes, you start to look for more bang for your buck. My experience and comments are not based on the lives of entertainers, I am talking about the "real" workers of NYC.

What salary do you think is required to live in NYC without any assistance from the government/roommate and live beyond just paying bills?

Just because people live in NYC doesn't mean that they are living well. Many people are just getting by and just don't want to live anywhere else. Many of my family members will never leave because of the tightly knit communities. It is very common to have friends and family frequently visit without calling and it is hard to duplicate that connection when you relocate elsewhere. However, they choose to remain and struggle and deal with the love/hate relationship of living in NYC.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:29 PM

8,521 posts, read 13,263,839 times
I have a stick up my A**, that's why/ Wouldn't you be if you had one up yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
Ummm, what are you so uptight about? -It's not that serious.

I have 90% of my family still residing all over NYC and I visit often. So, when I say NYC is great when you are young that's what I mean. When I lived in NYC I worked, attended school, shopped and partied it up. However, most teens/young adults do not earn a salary required of many tenements. So, with that said many young people have to share apartments. This is not a big deal at all when you are young, but when you begin to earn respectable wages that are only eaten up by taxes, you start to look for more bang for your buck. My experience and comments are not based on the lives of entertainers, I am talking about the "real" workers of NYC.

What salary do you think is required to live in NYC without any assistance from the government/roommate and live beyond just paying bills?

Just because people live in NYC doesn't mean that they are living well. Many people are just getting by and just don't want to live anywhere else. Many of my family members will never leave because of the tightly knit communities. It is very common to have friends and family frequently visit without calling and it is hard to duplicate that connection when you relocate elsewhere. However, they choose to remain and struggle and deal with the love/hate relationship of living in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or