U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 AM

40,058 posts, read 29,231,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
... this obsession to bring transplants/hipsters/yuppies into predominantly black and hispanic areas at whatever cost and then on the flipside show no interest or respect for the other parties involved ----
You make it sound as though the demographic makeup of a given neighborhood is etched in stone and must not be allowed to change. Do you know anything about the history of Bushwick? Founded by the Dutch, then dominated successively by English, Germans and Italians--for a good 300 years before blacks and Hispanics moved in.

I myself was born in Brownsville. Does it sound strange to you to think of that part of Brooklyn as a solidly Jewish district? Because it used to be! Harlem was originally Dutch, and later there were also Italian and Jewish sections. Now, for the first time since the beginning of the 20th century, there are whites moving there...again. Have you got a problem with that, too?

The word is change. It's the story of every neighborhood in the city. OK, you may not like who's moving in (or the reasons why). But to suggest that someone should flick some kind of magic switch and prevent any future change from happening...that's utterly ridiculous.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 10:23 AM

7,768 posts, read 11,487,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Blacks is a broad statement, blacks can be anybody from Jamican, Dominican, Guyanese, Belizian, African, or Ehitopian Israeli etc.
For the purposes of this article they are speaking about African-Americans who are descended from slaves and those who flocked to New York during the Great Migrations.

There is an entirely different discussion to be had about the Caribbean, African, South American black experience.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 AM

13,990 posts, read 16,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
For the purposes of this article they are speaking about African-Americans who are descended from slaves and those who flocked to New York during the Great Migrations.

There is an entirely different discussion to be had about the Caribbean, African, South American black experience.
OF course I know its African Americans. I mentioned it in my respons on the thread. I just thought that Black is a huge catch line!

Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,287,862 times
He like a lot of blacks think it's exclusive to blacks ONLY.

It's like when black talk about slavery, as if blacks were the only people that have ever been enslaved or that blacks were the only group that were subject to discrimination. You never hear anyone talk about how bad the Asians on the West Coast were treated during the time known as Jim Crow.

You nailed it, many don't know history, the OP is getting very emotional about this. He feels that we need to focus on this "issue" ONLY because it involves blacks.

White ethnic groups are dealing with the same issues. Yes, I siad white ethnic groups...there is such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You make it sound as though the demographic makeup of a given neighborhood is etched in stone and must not be allowed to change. Do you know anything about the history of Bushwick? Founded by the Dutch, then dominated successively by English, Germans and Italians--for a good 300 years before blacks and Hispanics moved in.

I myself was born in Brownsville. Does it sound strange to you to think of that part of Brooklyn as a solidly Jewish district? Because it used to be! Harlem was originally Dutch, and later there were also Italian and Jewish sections. Now, for the first time since the beginning of the 20th century, there are whites moving there...again. Have you got a problem with that, too?

The word is change. It's the story of every neighborhood in the city. OK, you may not like who's moving in (or the reasons why). But to suggest that someone should flick some kind of magic switch and prevent any future change from happening...that's utterly ridiculous.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 AM

3,039 posts, read 5,620,920 times
@ fred thank you for responding to me like I am child... I guess I must've missed that part in the history books... If you would have read my comment, my issue wasn't with change but at how there is that the amount of emphasis placed on bringing the "generic white transplants" to this city is in stark contrast with the way when black folks tend to be treated in this city...

Ron is a perfect example of how NYers really feel... they had there time in this city, it's time for them to move on... enough with the pity party... btw, thank you Ron for confirming my point... you're awesome.

@ Fred, whites weren't bought out by blacks and hispanics in the 60s... Whites were conned once again by those clever real estate agents who claimed that the neighborhoods were getting worse because of (Oh my god... DIVERSITY)... and so they moved out... That is not what is happening nowadays so please don't compare...

Old 06-22-2011, 10:37 AM

4,036 posts, read 8,477,265 times
It’s about money and class, not about race, per se. The most telling quote is:
“A single mother, she said that for $150,000, she was buying a seven-room house, with a three-car garage, on a nice plot of land.”
There is nowhere in the metro-area where she could do such a thing.

In the article, Deborah Brown’s mother migrated Harlem in the 50s (not that long ago) for a job and better prospects. Now the family’s moving to Atlanta, but it’s the same process for the same reasons. Americans have been doing it for centuries. Why is moving to Harlem in the 50s “romantic” whereas moving to Atlanta now is “sad”?

Is a lower-middle-class white family moving from Milwaukee to Phoenix different that a lower-middle-class black family moving from New York to Atlanta? Why is one pursing the “American Dream” and the other the victim of racism and gentrification?

What’s the difference between a black family moving from Detroit and a black family moving from New York?

Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 AM

@ ron, you do realize I am hispanic, not Black... And no you cannot compare any form of racism to the level that the Blacks experienced it for years and to this day still do though to a much lesser extent... What I am saying however, is that even if neighborhoods were more segregated in the 80s and 90s in NYC, believe it or not race relations weren't as bad as they seem to be now...

Not really getting sensitive about it... just pointing out what the traditionally hipster friendly NYtimes article pointed out...

Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 AM

13,990 posts, read 16,717,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
He like a lot of blacks think it's exclusive to blacks ONLY.

It's like when black talk about slavery, as if blacks were the only people that have ever been enslaved or that blacks were the only group that were subject to discrimination. You never hear anyone talk about how bad the Asians on the West Coast were treated during the time know as Jim Crow.

You nailed it, many don't know history, the OP is getting very emotional about this. He feels that we need to focus on this "issue" ONLY because it involves blacks.

White ethnic groups are dealing with the same issues. Yes, I siad white ethnic groups...there is such a thing.
I concur AAs were not the only ones having problems, also not all Blacks were slaves. In some parts of the south they were free blacks and some even owned slaves Black and White. Some Whites were even slaves and served an entire lifetime of indentured servitude. Hell some Blacks even fought for the Confederacy. IF you read Howard Zinn in one his passages after the reconstruction era a white land owner in Texas stated he rather hire a negro instead of an heathen Catholic from Ireland. Look at Leo Frank case were both Blacks and Whites in Atlanta conspired and framed a Brooklyn Jewish busisness man of raping a 13 year old girl.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:41 AM

@ tpc don't quote something that was never said... I never mentioned her move to Harlem as "romantic"... but you would think by now race relations would have only gotten better since then but NYC has had a reverse effect since the 90s...

And like I said before the 1st reason why Black people are moving out has nothing to do with race but rather overdevelopment... and i posted links to confirm that... Unfortunately though, both COL and the feelings I've already mentioned have been a major reason why alot of Black people feel unwelcomed now in NYC

Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM

To give you all a perfect reason why I say a good number of black folks feel unwelcomed here is Canarcie... Look at the crime statistics of Canarcie and tell me it was better in the 80s and 90s than it is today... However, anyone who knows anything about Canarcie nowadays who isn't black tells you how that neighborhood has gone to the dumps even though overall crime is at an all-time low over there... Explain that to me cause I don't get it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or