U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 PM

8,595 posts, read 7,953,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
amen and thank you for saying this. just because many people dont see us doesnt mean we dont exist. we're the transplants and hipsters and immigrants and mechanics and truck drivers and custodians and yes, the colleege educated too.most of us, beleive it or not, are not thugs, irresposible fathers, rapists, or wackos. we go to work, raise our families, go to church, and vote. we live everywhere from far rockaway to harlem to riverdale. spend some time looking for us sometimes and you'll see us. hell, they're even a lot of us left in st. albans. we're not all on the way to Atlanta.
I know a couple of black transplants, there pretty cool, they share a similar style like thier white transplant counterparts. Some of them are very succesful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 07:13 PM

1,123 posts, read 265,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
You make a very good point that I think often gets over looked when talking about what has been occurring with black New Yorkers for quite sometime now: They are leaving the city not because the place they are relocating too is "better" per se, but because NYC has done pretty much everything possible to make black folks feel unwelcome.
This is laughable nonsense.

Quote:
Look at how Mayor Dinkins was treated. He was blamed for every ill in the city (even though those ills were there long before he became mayor) and basically ran out of office. He was so reviled in some neighborhoods that Rudy Giuliani was elected. Think about that for a second. People hated the fact that he was mayor so much that they elected a Republican instead. If anyone doubts the racial elements of that, I'll refer you to the Crown Heights incident.
While I thought Dinkins was a nice man personally, he had no clue as mayor, and allowed Al Sharpton to basically run the city. You had Sharpton-driven protests all over the city, with wilding incidents by black youth/criminals, and Dinkins had no control over the city.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The word is change. It's the story of every neighborhood in the city. OK, you may not like who's moving in (or the reasons why). But to suggest that someone should flick some kind of magic switch and prevent any future change from happening...that's utterly ridiculous.
Not to derail the thread, but that is exactly those in rent-controlled/stabilized apartments want, they want to live in the most exciting, desirable parts of manhattan and have cheap rents forever...

Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
The OP has a 1 sided view of the issue. I'm black and I don't feel one ounce of a connection to the story. I don't walk around carrying the burdens of the black race on my back. IF they cannot afford to live there, that's on them ont me. Nor will I have pitty on them.

I actually plan on moving to NYC in 2012-13...this story will not change my views and opinions of NYC and my anticipated move.

It's not the fault of NYC if some folks cann't afford to live there.

Many people cannot afford to buy a Rolls Royce, we accept that and move on. We don't protest RR and DEMAND that they lower the proces "for all".

Until you can afford a RR buy a Honda and keep it moving. No one makes a big deal about the expensive price of the cars.

But when blacks are being "Ran out" due to high cost of living...........STOP THE PRESSES!!!
You haven't met many liberals yet, that is their entire Calling in life - denigrating the more successful than they, and trying to dumb down standards for their benefit.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:05 PM

6,558 posts, read 6,921,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
This is laughable nonsense.
Awesome debate point. HOW is it laughable nonsense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
While I thought Dinkins was a nice man personally, he had no clue as mayor, and allowed Al Sharpton to basically run the city. You had Sharpton-driven protests all over the city, with wilding incidents by black youth/criminals, and Dinkins had no control over the city.
While it can be argued that Dinkins was not up to the task of running a city as big and complex as NYC, of all the things you could criticize him of you choose that he failed because Al Sharpton "ran the city" and your basis for that is because he protested a lot?

The First Amendment to the Constitution is what allowed Sharpton to protest, not Dinkins.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM

7,244 posts, read 12,156,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
and before you tell me i'm wrong look at how areas like Bed-stuy and Harlem are described on wikipedia after gentrification took place...

I actually went to correct some of the things on the Bed-stuy page and almost immediately after I corrected that gentrification in Bed-stuy wasn't only college educated whites (as it claimed) but rather middle income blacks and I posted a link for verification, it was changed back and about five people went to correct it telling me that only whites were moving in as if it was a problem that I mentioned middle class black folk were part of the gentrification process as well...

I don't get your specific complaint about wikipedia at all because it really doesn't match up with what the content is today. Did you read it today or you're just complaining about the day on which you were arguing about race on there with 5 people?

This is what it currently says about gentrification in Bed-Stuy:

Early 2000s gentrification
Many of the new residents are upwardly mobile middle income black families, as well as immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean

gentrification after 2010
A diverse mix of students, hipsters, artists, architects and attorneys of all races continue to move to the neighborhood

Old 06-22-2011, 08:28 PM

2,754 posts, read 3,442,312 times
What was there for about two months was completely blanked about a week ago... it reads much better now...

Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Awesome debate point. HOW is it laughable nonsense?
Blacks are leaving the city for the same reason alot of whites and others are - the cost of living here, including the obscene taxes needed to sustain the lavish lives of public union employees - are far too high.

NOT because there is some "bad" treatment of blacks, that is nonsense.

Quote:
While it can be argued that Dinkins was not up to the task of running a city as big and complex as NYC, of all the things you could criticize him of you choose that he failed because Al Sharpton "ran the city" and your basis for that is because he protested a lot?
Uh no honey, Sharpton led illegal protests and riots, including attacking and torching various stores. Dinkins could have called in the cops to stop that nonsense, but he wanted to pander to the gangsta / poor black masses of the city and show he wasn't an Uncle Tom / uppity black man in a suit.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 PM

8,524 posts, read 8,373,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I agree people should live where they can afford. However, there are underlying economic factors . As a black man moving to NYC, you will find out what they are. Black men do not flourish here.
Black men that are not ambitious do not flourish there.....Ray Mcguire is one of the most well known deal makers on Wall St.......might I ad he's black. Bernard Beal owner of MR Beal investment banking firm.....he's black.
Hell you had a black Mayor years ago......take it for what it's worth.

I could go on and on about successful black men in NYC.

Know YOU may have not flourished in NYC, that's on you. But don't say black men don't flourish in NYC.

That's so weak......it would be nice if black like you would stop making up excuses for those blacks that cut not cut it.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 PM

8,524 posts, read 8,373,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
All the whites you see moving in these areas are transplants. White new yorkers have fled to staten island,jersey,and long island. It's not because of racist feelings, it's just ny'ers respect their boundaries. I dated an Italian girl from dyker heights and her dad would talk about this all the time. The white ny'ers despise the tranplants as much as the blacks and latinos who are being pushed out do. Her dad would talk about them loving Obama and shopping at whole foods. lol.
That's what the OP does not get.....he thinks it's a "black issue"........it's not exclusive to blacks as I stated in an earlier post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City