Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 AM

7 posts, read 14,206 times

Advertisements

I'm a student (I'm 25, so not young) moving to NYC. My school is located at Herald Square, so I'm looking to move to Midtown and I want something more modern, like a high rise with floor to ceiling windows. I was looking at Ohm since I found studios for $2,000/mth and the Helena since one of their studios comes with 2 exposures (which is on my dream wishlist). Most of the high rises I looked into (Beatrice, Ashley, MiMa [pretty much anything managed by related is out of my price range), River Place, Silver Towers, etc) were way out of my price range. I found an apartment at 455W37 (TF Cornerstone) but they said they wouldn't rent to students. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I've looked at Urban Edge and NY Bits for listings of high rises, but a lot are out of my price range ($2400 would really be pushing it). I know it's probably impossible to find something like that for $2000, but perhaps someone can give suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 06:24 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iseepinkelefants View Post
I'm a student (I'm 25, so not young) moving to NYC. My school is located at Herald Square, so I'm looking to move to Midtown and I want something more modern, like a high rise with floor to ceiling windows. I was looking at Ohm since I found studios for $2,000/mth and the Helena since one of their studios comes with 2 exposures (which is on my dream wishlist). Most of the high rises I looked into (Beatrice, Ashley, MiMa [pretty much anything managed by related is out of my price range), River Place, Silver Towers, etc) were way out of my price range. I found an apartment at 455W37 (TF Cornerstone) but they said they wouldn't rent to students. Anyone have any other suggestions?

I've looked at Urban Edge and NY Bits for listings of high rises, but a lot are out of my price range ($2400 would really be pushing it). I know it's probably impossible to find something like that for $2000, but perhaps someone can give suggestions?
Ohm seems nice if you want to live in a crap neighborhood. Right down the street from my work and I hate going to that area when I get paid to go there. Also the apartments are tiny.

At that price range you are looking at a share in one of those apartments. And by share I mean a pressurized wall with someone living in the living room.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't see it as doable.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,280,416 times
You have two options:
1. Increase your budget
2. Decrease your expectations.

You're a student- one with a fairly limited budget for Manhattan. It's going to be relatively challenging to find an apartment- any apartment- that you like with a $2k budget if you wantto stay around midtown & lower Manhattan and be in a SAFE neighborhood. A lot of those brand new buildings that are inexpensive- like the one you found- are in neighborhoods that are quite honestly a little sketchy at night. Probably ok during the day, but it changes after dark. and it's pretty desolate- far from subway, long blocks of warehouses & commercial buildings. Not a lot of neighborhood feel or neighborhood amenities.

Take your $2k and look in the East Village or Murray Hill or area around NYU. You'll e living in real NYC neighborhoods, surrounded by people your age. Isn't that the point of going to school in NYC? Not to pretend you're rich and live in some glamorous high rise, when it's in a sketchy area?

Old 06-23-2011, 06:55 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
There are a few High Rise apartments that start at 1800-2100 in Jersey City / Hoboken that overlook Manhattan and the Hudson River. There connected to the Light Rail & PATH subway system which runs 24/7. If you want anything nice in Midtown that starts at 3000$.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM

58 posts, read 287,204 times
you can use your money wisely by renting a $1000 apartment in Brooklyn or Queens, the subway ride is not bad at all to Herald Square. You're still a student and I believe you still have some loans to payoff, why spend $2K on rent when you can use it other ways.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,189 times
As a student how in the world can you even afford a high rise apartment? Sorry, but my curiosity got the best of me.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:38 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
As a student how in the world can you even afford a high rise apartment? Sorry, but my curiosity got the best of me.

I am with you on that. Plus, also it sounds a bit greedy and entitled...Im 24, I want a floor to ceiling windows, blah blah.....in a studio, be lucky you will have a toilet bowl. LOL

your 24, save you money, then BUY something...not throw 2K out the window on rent.

makes no sense to me.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:46 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,167,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am with you on that. Plus, also it sounds a bit greedy and entitled...Im 24, I want a floor to ceiling windows, blah blah.....in a studio, be lucky you will have a toilet bowl. LOL

your 24, save you money, then BUY something...not throw 2K out the window on rent.

makes no sense to me.
Yeah dude. If Mommy and Daddy are shelling out this 2k/month or you somehow have it, then you can afford to contact a good real estate agent instead of asking for advice on a forum. Just sayin'.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
Floor to ceiling windows?

I recommend that you come to NYC for a day, meet with a realtor, and see several apartments in your price range to get a realistic view of what is available for your money.

And $2,000 a month for a student does seem high for rent. And if that is your monthly budget, please keep in mind that rent is just a portion of this. You will need a chuck of change for food, transportation, and activities as well. You likely already realize this. I hope, anyway.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,720,801 times
Hmmm. Why do the "lowered expectations" skits on mad TV suddenly come to mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City