U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2011, 01:47 AM

23 posts, read 22,980 times

Advertisements

So, I am planning a visit from Chicago to NYC with another friend (in our 20s) late July. I've read around to get a rough idea about things, but I have many questions, any information on anything would be helpful as I have never been to NYC.

1. We are looking into staying at the Pod Hotel. It seems like a reasonable option for many reasons--price, safety, location (close enough from LGA for around a $25 taxi fare & close to most tourist attractions in Manhattan). Am I right in assuming all of the above? Would we feel safe there after dark? Any better deals out there?

2. Where are the best areas to shop around...areas similar to the Mag Mile (Chi) and also different from it (more affordable).

3. We're not looking to get into the nightlife. Some stuff we are looking into...the Gug, High Line Park, Broadway show, possibly getting into a late night show taping. We don't really want to do anything else very touristy other than those, so any information on other interesting things to do would be great.

Any information on those 3 would be appreciated as well as any other tips/considerations/interesting things to do. Thanks again!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:49 AM

2 posts, read 784 times
They have a fun pass of sorts that allows you to jump on and off city buses and the subway all day or all week without limitation. This was a real money saver for me when I visited.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 AM

16,283 posts, read 13,446,512 times
If you like walking consider walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and then on the Brooklyn side, take a stroll along the Brooklyn Promenade for a great view of Manhattan. If you are hungry at the end of the Promenade go to Montague St which is lined restaurants with outdoor seating (or indoor as well).
Also for another great view of Manhattan take a ride of the Roosevelt Island Tram and on the Roosevelt Island side there is a small promenade for a different view of Manhattan.
Also taking the Staten Island ferry (which is free) offers a nice view of Lower Manhattan as well as Liberty Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City