Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM

41 posts, read 154,367 times

Advertisements

We've been living on the Upper West Side in the mid-90s for a while, and are getting ready to start a family. Since I also work from home, we are hoping to upgrade to a 3BR apartment.

The open 3BR unit in my building is $4500(!!!). While I can find somewhat better rents in the Financial District or Lower East Side, the commute to Mt Sinai would be a PITA for my husband, as would the outer boroughs, and I still find the rents appalling.

He generally taxis it or takes the bus, not a fan of the subway (though I take it a lot).

I've been thinking of targeting some sections of Harlem, but am not really sure where to look (aside from the obvious Morningside Heights answer I see a lot). The listings I see for apartments offer an amount of space and renovation that we could never afford in the lower parts of Manhattan.

I know this question is asked ad nauseum, but unfortunately I haven't found the answer I need in the threads I've searched.

To summarize our situation, we're a 30-something couple looking to start a family. We aren't big into nightlife--a good grocery store and a great neighborhood restaurant or two is of far more interest than trendy bars or designer shopping. Park access is a nice touch for the dog and intended children.

Safety is of course a high concern, though we already try to avoid walking out at night after 10 or so and in the morning before 6:00.

Definitely looking for a place to settle in for the next several years.

So...the June 2011 update of the question: what areas of Harlem can the more knowledgeable among us recommend for the search?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Default Harlem

We are having the same problem. Where to move ?

In Harlem, the affordable places are affordable for a reason - they are not the best areas. We are currently living on lower Convent, which is a kind of compromise. Near the subways, not totally dreadful, not yet an over-over-priced area.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM

113 posts, read 291,705 times
I live in Harlem and i am not AA. I moved here a little less than a year ago (I bought a place, not renting).

I looked at a number of places around the city in a variety of neighborhoods, including other addresses within Harlem, before settling on the place where I live now.

My advice would be to do a little leg work, perhaps with a broker who knows the neighborhood, but ultimately, you should know that what is right for you is a totally subjective determination.

I'm up by 145th Street, which is actually great for my commute as 145th is an express stop on the 6th Avenue/8th Avenue lines. I can be at work in about 30 minutes if I hit the trains right. It used to take me nearly as long to get across town from where I used to live in Hell's Kitchen before I moved, so as far as commutes go, it's pretty sweet.

I'm fully willing to admit that It's still a somewhat odd feeling when I step outside my door each morning, but I don't think I've ever felt unsafe or more uneasy than I do in any other part of NYC. 145th is a major cross street and there's almost always plenty of traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, at most hours of the day or night.

In addition to the subway, I have the convenience of a supermarket (Pathmark), a Starbuck's, a Duane Reade and a Chase Bank within yards of my front door. My apartment does not face the street and generally, my apartment is quiet, even when I have the windows open.

Are there other neighborhoods where I might've been happier to live? Sure, but I don't think I could've found what I have now in those neighborhoods for less than $400-500K. Suffice it to say that I paid less than that.

My impression, from having lived here, and from having explored Harlem a bit, both during my house-hunt and before, is that Harlem is a pretty big area, and it has and continues to change. There are micro-neighborhoods within Harlem and some I would not care to live in, but others are just really breathtakingly beautiful (I'm somewhere in the middle). There are tree-lined blocks of brownstones in the 130s that rival any in Park Slope or the UWS for beauty and charm, but then, within a couple of blocks, there are still block that are rather stark and rundown.

So you really have to do your own legwork to find these pockets of a gentler Harlem. Read some of the discussions here about how a lot of people, presumably AA, who decry the "gentrification" and the erosion of the Harlem of old. I think in the end, it will become something in the middle. Not what it was, but not entirely gentrified either, but it's going to be a slow process.

Would I recommend to someone else to live in Harlem? Absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City