Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:45 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times

Advertisements

@ itshim as the OP already stated he is well aware of that fact and feels like crap about his situation but he is currently in a position where he has to obey his parents wishes... @ discouraged living in NYCHA is nothing to be ashamed of... Many people in this city are struggling with the same types of and would jump at the opportunity to live in a NYCHA... The Cost of living in this city has only increased ten-fold previous years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,110 times
If they found abestos in your home, I hope they removed it without you and your family being in the apartment.

Secondly, I don't see why your mom won't let you get a job. It's time to break the cycle and for you go get out of NYCHA you're going to need your education and a good job.

I saw on the news few weeks ago that NYCHA has a back log for fixing and maintaining their apartments.

One tenant had a severe case of mold growing on her ceiling, walls and doors and they haven't attempted to fix it or move her out of that apartment.

I wish you and your family all the luck in dealing with NYCHA.

Now I understand why my mom always said she would never have her kids or herself live in the projects and I've said the same for mine also.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:02 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Good luck trying to get some type of preferential treatment if you are using public assistance. If you don't like it, move. I'm sure they aren't too concerned.

Not trying to sound like a dick, but like with all parts of life, where the money flows freely and more abundant, that's where the best service will be.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:05 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times
To the people asking him to forget his education and get a job... what do you think is an easier way to get out of NYCHA... work at McDonalds and put your education on hold... or wait a couple of years to graduate and have a solid career major in place and having a stable income from that moment on? Come on now... I understand his situation currently is difficult but waitinga couple of years and putting your education first will definitely be worth it in the end... just demonstrate a little patience and commitment to finishing off your major as soon as possible...

Old 06-30-2011, 11:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
To the people asking him to forget his education and get a job... what do you think is an easier way to get out of NYCHA... work at McDonalds and put your education on hold... or wait a couple of years to graduate and have a solid career major in place and having a stable income from that moment on? Come on now... I understand his situation currently is difficult but waitinga couple of years and putting your education first will definitely be worth it in the end... just demonstrate a little patience and commitment to finishing off your major as soon as possible...
I worked and went to school at the same time...

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 PM

21 posts, read 82,053 times
Hi Guys. Thanks for responding.

NYCHA has not offered to house us somewhere different. I am contemplating about living at grandma's house(Grandpa was able to pay off the mortgage) in Brooklyn for a while, so I can get away from the conditions, and get closer to Grandma.

The asbestos was indeed insulation. I believe they came to remove the insulation, but not the pipe. Thus, I believe the pipe is STILL leaking.

Luckily, the workers did not allow us to stay in the apartment while they worked. They sealed off the hole, with the asbestos removed, using a plastic sheet. Hopefully, this is not a health concern.

My parents have never received a single penny from Welfare or food stamps, so I suppose that is better than 50% of people in NYCHA. However, I am very afraid about the life outside of childhood. I desperately want to leave NYCHA. I think next year, I will go out of state for college (maybe boston or chicago), and NEVER come back to the nycha apartment. I keep hearing stories about being stuck in the cycle of poverty and staying in public housing for generations, but I don't want that to happen to me. Everyone else in my mom's family owns their property (save for one aunt who has a coop).

As for getting a job, what can I do if my parents don't let me? In the meantime, I am doing research at a university, and learning many things at the process. I really don't want to continue the cycle of poverty. I just don't want to live in public housing anymore, but supposedly the suffering is almost over.

An update: NYCHA scheduled repairs for the LEAKING pipe next Wednesday. This is moving so slowly.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:16 PM

Update: NYCHA STILL has not fixed anything. They "said" they would come tomorrow, but I really doubt it.

In other news, NY1 for you has contacted my by email requesting more information. I think it would help, but my mom doesn't want to take such drastic measures.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
In in a smilar situation but not that bad, we have a leaky cieling. But we have cracks on the celing and bricks falling off the building lucky thier is a scalpatine outside to protect people from bricks. Problem with NYCHA they have budget shortfall and also Federal HUD is not doing any better, HUD came to do inspections aswell. Lets see what Happens with this budget crisis the city state and country is in and how well will people in public housing city wide and nation wide will fair!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:04 PM

31 posts, read 129,195 times
Hey kid,

Get your parents to ask for a transfer based on code T0 "Tenants whose apartments have become uninhabitalbe by the faimly through no fault of their own". However, you will still be in the projects, why don't you do your research there are some developments better then others and with this code your parents can choose any project. Hope this helps.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:20 PM

But where would I move? Amsterdam houses?

In any case, NYCHA came today to plaster the wall. They will come paint tomorrow. On Monday, they will install the cabinets.

I will move out early next Aug (2012) for College. YES! I'm never coming back to the projects!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City