Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,899,849 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Manhattan and using the services of a housekeeping service. She will be with us for 7-8 hrs daily except for weekends.

This is a business that most in the building use. Most there will have had housekeepers before, but the first time for us. The new place is 2 to 3 times larger than the one we will be leaving and there is no way that I can clean a place that size and have a life.

I was wondering if there are any questions or topics that I might overlook in our initial interviews. Are there age factors to consider? I know their general duties are of a wider scope than a cleaning persons. She will be making breakfast and lunch for us at times and we will be supplying her with lunch. Are there any questions we should ask regarding cooking skills? We also have one cat.

Do people feel comfortable in having another person around for eight hours daily? Is it appropriate to ask her to schedule out her weekly duties and allow her to leave early if she finishes for the day early?

Concerns over cost are settled already. It is finding the most compatible with our lifestyle that interests me now.

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,769,082 times
Your rich, you"ll figure it out.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:53 AM

412 posts, read 1,323,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Your rich, you"ll figure it out.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,342,927 times
I guess typical slave duties...lol just joking.

I would ask what languages she speaks, does she have any felonies outstanding warrants, is she legal to work in the states, ID, refferences of other families she worked for. How long has she been working as a housekeeper, what salary is she considering, does she have her own health insurance just incase she gets hurt in your home who will pay and is she insured by the agency. how far will she have to travel. Find out if she is allergic to animals and if she likes them. ask her if she is just doing this temp or long term so you can find out if she is a fly by night housekeeper. Ask what she does not do so there are no misunderstandings if you ask her to do something she is not comfortable with like windows.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:22 PM

479 posts, read 1,438,653 times
Why don't you ask the building where you are going to live about your concerns. You said the building uses this business. Ask the concierge about the experience with them, etc. Most people here do not have the privileged to have a housekeeper. So they probably don't know what the right answer will be.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:31 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,342,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Why don't you ask the building where you are going to live about your concerns. You said the building uses this business. Ask the concierge about the experience with them, etc. Most people here do not have the privileged to have a housekeeper. So they probably don't know what the right answer will be.
a concierge would not able to answer that that is not their job. The agency or the person she is interviewing or her neighbors. BTW having a housekeeper is very common these days maybe not for 8 hrs but a few times a month is common place.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:55 PM

479 posts, read 1,438,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
a concierge would not able to answer that that is not their job. The agency or the person she is interviewing or her neighbors. BTW having a housekeeper is very common these days maybe not for 8 hrs but a few times a month is common place.
Of course a concierge can help. Many people in the building have use the cleaning services and they have probably talk to the concierge about their experience or what other company is better to use. Etc.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,549,293 times
Housekeeper Interview - The Housekeeping Guide at Care.com
http://housekeeping.about.com/od/pro...ousekeeper.htm

I think a housekeeper for 8 hrs/day is excessive but maybe OP has 10 kids and a messy husband and they both work busy schedules. Personally I have someone come once a week for a few hours. I don't know anyone that has anyone come daily unless it is a nanny who also does cleaning/cooking.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:18 PM

448 posts, read 683,060 times
Why does your house need to be cleaned 8 hours a day EVERY day? Are you that filthy? Is anyone that filthy? Also why is she cooking breakfast and lunch for you? What the heck are you doing that you cant poor your own bowl of cereal and make your own tunafish sandwich.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:52 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,775,102 times
Sheesh, what a bunch of losers!

Clean, really clean in this city COST!

She could spend all day herself, but why? When she couuld hire ya mommas!!!

Such is the life of NYC's winners and losers....

Some pay, some clean.

GF and I, just last week decided to find someone, DM me if your momma is available....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City