Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 11,344 times

Advertisements

I have a serious problem here, my landlady's out of control she's disrespectful and she continuously harrasses me. Ive been renting a basement apartment since the end of march, i always pay my rent and im not trouble. At the end of May after paying my rent i had a conversation expressing my concerns about the apartment i am renting from her. ((just recently found out its illegal to rent a basements)) I expressed to her that there was reaccuring mold in the bathroom which usual came along with flies and some other problems in the apartment and also told her i didnt like her coming into my apartment without permission. Since then nothing has been corrected. So a couple of weeks after ((beginning of june)) that i came back to her with the same concerns, but this time i told her it was time for me to move i was no longer willing to deal with the problems so i wanted my security deposit back. She gave me some bull about having to pay bills &told me she didnt know when she'd be able to give it back to me.
So 3weeks ago ((a week or so later)) i had an incident in my apartment where my brother ((phych patient)) kicked in my apartment walls. She said she wouldnt press charges and that we could set up a payment arrangement for the damages. The following week i ask for another week to give her the first payment due to me not having the money @the time, she said it was fine. Then all of a sudden things went down hill. She called rent-a-center claiming i had stolen furniture ((i do not)), she began to tell the neighbors i didnt want to pay for the damages &that i dont pay rent ((i have receipts)), talking all kinds of mess about me, spreading all kinds of unnessisary rumors. A couple days later, i left my keys in the door leading out of the house ((a dead bolt)) which i normally do, when i came back a couple minutes later they were gone and the door was locked. I called her and asked had she seen them she said no, although i know that she took them i remained calm saying maybe i misplaced them in my apartment. I then asked if i could borrow the spare set and i'd come back and return them, she said no, i asked her could she atleast let me out, she then got disrespectful saying "no & to find her keys". We began to argue so i hung up on her and called my uncle to come over and talk to her. When he came she began to slander me, telling him my personal buissness as well as the same things she'd been telling the neighbors &still refused to let me out. So i then knocked on her door trying to reason with her because i didnt understand where this all was coming from, she wasnt even hearing me, continuing being disrespectful, so we argued again, this time her family joined in. So i removed myself from the situation before it got heated any further and called the cops, they took hours. So i called the fire department, they came 2h and a half hours later and she claimed she didnt have the key to the door so they had to break the deadbolted gate. When the cops got to the scene they demanded she give me the keys which she did. I left for the night. When i came back my laptop was on and things in my apartment had been moved around. ((she always comes in when im not @home)) This all took place on the 25th of june.
Since then everytime i see her she says things like "im a hoe, where am i going to ****??, she says im a hood rat" and just constantly harrasses me &still comes in my aportment. Im 2o years old and this is very stressfull on me and since this all has been going on ive been slipping in and out of depression. I dont know how to handle this. A couple days ago i received a letter from "her lawyer" giving me a 30day termination notice. Its not from the courts. So my question is this, what are my rghts in this situation?? Am i entitled my deposit back?? If i refuse to pay this months rent because of whats going on can she take me to court for it?? Please help me, im against a wall here, im trying to find a place to move, but in the mean time what can i do to protect myself from her??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 02:21 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
First order of business...get out before someone gets hurt!
Settle the finances later.

Probably nobody has any rights here.

You actually KNOWINGLY left your keys hanging out of an outdoor lock????? Why???

Old 07-04-2011, 10:10 PM

244 posts, read 664,661 times
My head is still spining, give me 5 minutes.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:22 PM

244 posts, read 664,661 times
Right.
Never let a landlord push you around. EVER.

You are in the right. She can't do anything. She can't throw you out.

Give her an even hard time back.

Back up to her and see has fast she backs down.

She's calling you names? lol

Go ape sh*t on this b*och.

I'm not a violence person and hate violence.

But from my experince you have to do this.

You "fake" like you are "tougher" than her. But the faking part will come easy I'm sure, lol.
If someone thinks they are "crazier" than you, they will back down.
Right now, she is winning.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:32 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Did you sign a lease? What were the terms of the lease?

And why would you leave your keys in the door? Why?? You shouldn't do that anywhere.

I would consider my deposit as my last month's rent and get out. Although your brother causing damage to the apartment complicates that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: