U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 PM

314 posts, read 904,826 times

Advertisements

I've been several times and each time I go has been with other tourists and i've ended up doing all the touristy things. This time I want to see more of the hidden gyms of the city without breaking the budget.

I am a chemistry teacher and basketball coach so things that involve science or sports will interest me even more. I'm not really considering a time consuming baseball game because I will only be in town for three days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:31 PM

113 posts, read 258,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates View Post
This time I want to see more of the hidden gyms of the city without breaking the budget.
Don't worry... most of our gyms are out in the open and easy to find.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 PM

7,551 posts, read 7,978,155 times
There are certainly science museums around here that get more local visitors than tourists, but I imagine that really wouldn't be all that interesting for you unless you were traveling with kids. You could take a tour of Yankee Stadium. I think Citi Field only offers guided tours during the off season. If you could be more specific with your interests or tell us what you have already seen, perhaps we could have more suggestions.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:09 PM

470 posts, read 983,582 times
Whenever I'm in the city, I just take the train somewhere I've never been and walk around. Also have driven to many different neighborhoods. Stuff to do kind of finds you this way.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:06 AM

6,314 posts, read 8,643,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Whenever I'm in the city, I just take the train somewhere I've never been and walk around. Also have driven to many different neighborhoods. Stuff to do kind of finds you this way.
Is that safe?

Old 07-03-2011, 01:24 AM

69 posts, read 101,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
There are certainly science museums around here that get more local visitors than tourists, but I imagine that really wouldn't be all that interesting for you unless you were traveling with kids. You could take a tour of Yankee Stadium. I think Citi Field only offers guided tours during the off season. If you could be more specific with your interests or tell us what you have already seen, perhaps we could have more suggestions.
Citi Field offers tours when the Mets are out of town.
Citi Field Tours | mets.com: Ballpark

How about the New York Hall of Science out in Flushing? It's out in Queens and probably geared towards children.
New York Hall of Science Home

List of sporting events at Madison Square Garden:
Sporting Events - Madison Square Garden, New York City - MSG

Old 07-03-2011, 06:35 AM

30,325 posts, read 31,201,438 times
If you are interested in science I suggest you visit the American Museum of Natural History which has a suggested contribution as admission.
Otherwise, how about taking the Roosevelt Island tram for a great view of the Eastern Side of Manhattan in the Midtown area?
Another option is to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and then on the Brooklyn side walk along the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for a great view of the Lower Manhattan. At the end of the Promenade stroll along Montague St and try out one of the restaurants with their outdoor seating sections.
Another suggestion is to visit the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens. Astoria is also a good neighborhood to walk around for shopping and restaurants.
Also you could visit either the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens (with free admission on Tuesdays) or the Bronx Botanical Gardens (with free grounds admission on Wednesdays). The Bronx Zoo is also an option if you are interested in animals.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:25 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times
The Science Center in Flushing Meadows Park (aka site of the two Worlds Fairs) is promoted as a place to take children...but believe me, it's endlessly fascinating for adults, too.

As for generally atypical things to do--you'll meet those qualifications if you go almost anywhere in the city other than midtown Manhattan. The vast majority of tourists here don't venture much into the other four boroughs.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 AM

113 posts, read 258,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Is that safe?
No, but he didn't ask for safe, he asked for atypical.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 AM

314 posts, read 904,826 times
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm not really into baseball. With the small amount of time, I don't want to feel like I'm aimlessly wandering around or go to museums geared towards people who don't know science. I like the idea of the brooklyn heights promenade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City