Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 11:06 PM

241 posts, read 591,515 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

In prep of the move, I've been browsing broker sites and craigslist to get myself better educated on what to expect.

I'll be working midtown east. Been thinking UES. But...

I'm seeing a lot of luxury buildings downtown with all sorts of amenities. Subway lines also converge downtown, so commute doesn't seem like too much of a problem. Rental prices also looks very reasonable for the amenities offered. There is even a park.

So, on the surface looks awesome. What's the catch? Or, is there not one? Thoughts on downtown living vs uptown living (or for that matter vs midtown living)?

I understand each neighborhood within each of these area would lend different flavor. But broad stroke, or if you'd like, talk neighborhood specific. All would be good info for me. So far, listings in fidi, Yorkville, hell's kitchen, and Murry Hill have popped up in my searches more frequently than other neighborhoods. Thanks!

(I'm single female 30s professional from the midwest. Not really big on party. Really like convenience. ~$2000 budget.)

Last edited by yee8p; 07-02-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 AM

113 posts, read 291,649 times
It really depends on what you mean by "downtown".

Downtown really applies to everything south of say 23rd Street. That's a *huge* swath of Manhattan and comprised of many, many different neighborhoods. The west Village is nothing at all like Alphabet City or Chinatown. SoHo is very different from LES or BPC.

I always tell people that for those of us not named Trump or Buffett (Warren or Jimmy), living in Manhattan is a set of compromises. The trick is coming up with the right set of compromises that works for you.

Even within a given neighborhood, there are probably ideal places, and less ideal places. How close is the subway or bus? How close is the supermarket or dry cleaners? How far is it to the gym or the nearest ATM?

All of these things are important/not important to different people in differing degrees, and maybe you're willing to sacrifice on two out of three to get the one that's important to you, but I would not.

Personally, I would prefer to be just about anywhere "downtown" to midtown or uptown (as I sit here in my apartment in Harlem), but that's just me. The UWS is also nice, IMO. I've never cared for the UES, and with the construction of the Second Avenue subway line, it just seems like an endless inconvenience for the next decade.

So "broad strokes", even within specific neighborhoods, may not be particularly illuminating. It all depends.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM

well, any thoughts on the new luxury buildings that are popping up in FiDi? I guess it still depends on which street those buildings are at....

Old 07-04-2011, 09:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
FiDi (I had to look it up) pulls in the sidewalks after 8 PM. Gazillion tourists looking for the WOrkd Trade Center. If you work in "FiDi" then pperhaps a good idea but other than that I don't think itls much of a neighborhood for actual LIVING.

Single professional female in 30's working Midtown East? I'd go with Yorkville (UES.) I live there and it's a very nice area.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:04 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
It really is little point in going into, as your budget does not afford ANY amenities!

$2000 will not get you a studio in such buildings, downtown nor uptown.

It will get you a 2bdrm roommate share.

Sooo, the first thing you need to get an understanding of is what you can and cannot afford.

Can you afford to live w/o a roommate? Your budget basically affords you relatively unattractive studio w/o any amenities, most likely a walkup.

Or, a fair to nice 1bdrm in the outer boroughs, which may have some amenities in a fair to nice neighborhood.

Or, with roommate, half of $4000 2bdrm w. Amenities.

Welcome to NYC

You may wish to spend a bit more time perusing this forum than Craigslist.

Old 07-04-2011, 07:52 PM

@jcoltrane hmm.... I have heard that Craigslist has their fair share of scams. Because I see studios for a bit over $2000 in the financial district and Hell's kitchen. That's why I ask the question. They almost seem too good to be true, and maybe they are...

@Kefir King. Yeah, after a little more reading, it does looks like downtown gets a little quieter after the work crowd leaves, and is better suited for those who work there for 100+ hours. Yorkville definitely seems like a real good option, really is my current default choice as it seems the most reasonable all around. But a gal can be tempted by advertising of amenities Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 07-05-2011, 05:02 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Downtown vs. Uptown...

Here's a secret (but you have to promise not to tell this to another living soul, OK?): there are actually four other boroughs in New York City. It's not necessary to limit yourself to some overpriced neighborhood in Manhattan where people move just so they can brag about having a 212 area code.

Good Golly Miss Molly...I hope I haven't said too much!

Old 07-05-2011, 10:28 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,263 times
Fred is right. Have you considered Brooklyn? Of course, the commute to Midtown may not be as convenient for you. In that case, what about Sunnyside, Queens? I would have moved there, but the listings were very few when I was doing my search. It's very affordable, the neighborhood is nice (especially North Sunnyside), and the commute on the 7 train is easy. But I think yee8p already has her heart set on Manhattan.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Well, if amenities it is, then amenities it is....

A roommate situation w/b best. That way, with the right roommate you can get into an amenity filled building, pool, gym, community room, sun deck, etc.

Your best bet for the buck w/b Hunters Point in Queens. Its just one (or is it two) stops on the 7 train. Very convenient. The best part is there is a collection of brand new gleaming towers with fantastic river and Manhattan views. Many post college young people, a river park, it is a new growing area.

I think it probably just right for you and your budget, and you just might be able to find a studio in one of those towers.

Luck!

PS, be careful with craigslist, a LOT of scams re Hunters Point. The area is targeted on craigslist as it attracts a lot of young naive transplants.

If you choose to check the area out, just go there. On the main drag, Vernon Blvd are a couple of brokerages and several of the buildings have rental offices.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 AM

588 posts, read 1,319,920 times
If your top priority is convenience, stick to Manhattan. I love Brooklyn, but it simply is not as convenient as living in Manhattan when you rely on public transportation. However, as others have said, $2000/month doesnt get you much. If you want your own place, you're limited to studios. The Upper East Side is nice, but the closer you are to the river, the farther you are from public transportation. If you're all the way by York Ave, you're looking at a 15 min walk to the train. A lot of UESers ride the bus for that reason. If you prefer subway, try to find something closer to 3rd Ave. As for downtown, you're priced out of the West Village, SoHo and Tribeca. You may be able to find something in the East Village or LES, but those are really young, bar-filled neighborhoods that do not have the gentrified appearance of other Manhattan 'hoods. Murray Hill is OK, and there are always deals in Hell's Kitchen, but you couldnt pay me to live in midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City