U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2011, 09:18 PM

57 posts, read 65,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
hell yeah!!!! Native nyer here and i'm so glad gentrification has occurred in nyc and hopefully spreads to the current "hoods" in the 5 boroughs to revitalize and claim back those neighborhoods that weren't always ghetto until ignorant ghetto a$$ poor folks moved in and scared the then current and more desirable residents away.

I want to see the bronx gentrified, brooklyn, queens and upper manhattan. Who cares where these poor ghetto folks get displaced to, the city is better with out them. Newark sounds like a place they would fit in nicely.

Besides, karma is a biach! Thugs and ghetto people in general f'ed it up and forced decent people to move from their home because these ghetto unruly people infiltrated their neighborhoods and made it unsafe. So they fled.

Now its time for payback biaches...since fear won't flush out these ghetto people from the neighborhoods they've corrupted, then pricing them out via gentrification will.
**troll post!!!**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 09:19 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,791,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
Gentrification means investing in a lower income neighborhood and the only people who really benefit from it is those who have money to pay the higher rent prices and the original inhabitants who are of lower income are forced to move.....that's not right!!

a lot of these people are older residents who've lived there for years...how are they going to pay for rising costs living on a fixed income?

Both lawyers and teachers have an education but the lawyer will definitely make more money and that teacher who makes less than $40k a year has to leave the neighborhood he/she can't afford it anymore because some yuppie wants to make the block a hip trendy spot with coffee shops and bars??? How does EVERYONE benefit from this?
Completely agree.

The comments by another poster about ghetto people are also partly true but need adjustment.

Unfortunately, teachers are being priced out with them and this is wrong. Why should I be forced to live in a ghetto neighborhood because I am a teacher ? Or someone who is a non-profit worker ? Museum or similar ?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,817,970 times
You buggin Brooklyn Native. You just mad cause you fall into that category of being priced out. You know your butt is on the chopping block if gentrification were to hit your hood. Oh well too bad. You gotta get with the program (gentrification) or get rolled over. All this BS ghetto "hip hop" culture that has destroyed one neighborhood after the other has got to stop. Time to claim back these neighborhood from these ghetto folks!

Last edited by hilltopjay; 09-16-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 PM

Teachers get roughly 50K a year..thats not poor. Not rich either but not poor.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM

Though I understand their will be non-ghetto folk caught in the cross fire of gentrification, it is considered a casualty of war. Collateral damage. Its the nature of the beast. Like in war, soldiers die from friendly fire or civilians accidently get killed, it is what it is. Its gonna happen and there is no alternative. What is important is to keep your eyes on the prize and know that once a neighborhood has been gentrified, you've just created an opportunity for the next family to move in and thrive without worrying about drug dealers, and bullets flying. Just look at the bigger picture and you'll see its worth while.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Completely agree.

The comments by another poster about ghetto people are also partly true but need adjustment.

Unfortunately, teachers are being priced out with them and this is wrong. Why should I be forced to live in a ghetto neighborhood because I am a teacher ? Or someone who is a non-profit worker ? Museum or similar ?
Thanx very much I try to be a voice of reason......to me ghetto doesn't mean being loud and guns and drugs it means lower income families/people who make the best of what they got......just a thought

Old 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
You buggin Brooklyn Native. You just mad cause you fall into that category of being priced out. You know your butt is on the chopping block if gentrification were to hit your hood. Oh well too bad. You gotta get with the program (gentrification) or get rolled over. All this BS ghetto "hip hop" culture that has destroyed one neighborhood after the other has got to stop. Time to claim back these neighborhood from these ghetto folks!
my building is rent stabilized homie...I'm not going anywhere **big smile**

Secondly teacher getting 50k aint really nothing if you got 3 kids to support.....now there some food for thought!

"BS Ghetto culture"??? Really?? Then why are the main consumers white teenagers and they are constantly trying to emulate this BS culture???

Old 09-16-2011, 09:53 PM

7,290 posts, read 5,318,081 times
I love gentrification. I think hating it equals loving poverty, blight, and crime. I cannot even fathom a point-of-view that says, "Let's leave this filthy ghetto the way it is and hope it deteriorates more so poor people can live in these depressing conditions."

It doesn't even make sense. The market is self-balancing. If people want to buy ugly, rotten buildings and fix them up, that is a good thing . . . you can do that AND provide subsidized housing for people who need it. The housing does not have to be despicable conditions. That is just crazy to me.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 PM

8,532 posts, read 7,876,086 times
Brooklyn gentrification meets resistance from longtime Latino residents in South Williamsburg

Old 09-16-2011, 11:01 PM

3,108 posts, read 3,815,907 times
While I don't fully support gentrification, I guess it's better then the whole entire city being one giant ghetto dump, and I'm glad at least some former high crime hoods are becoming decent places because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City