U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 07:12 AM

17,491 posts, read 23,031,404 times

Advertisements

How about:
STABILITY = GOOD.

It is constant change that is stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 07:28 AM

6,886 posts, read 6,986,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
Thanx very much I try to be a voice of reason......to me ghetto doesn't mean being loud and guns and drugs it means lower income families/people who make the best of what they got......just a thought
Completely disagree. There is an error now, equating poverty and ghetto culture. These are not synonymous, not at all. There are hoards of working poor, working and middle class, who are not a part of ghetto culture. And yes, they are working to make the best of what they have.

A similar error, and one that approaches the absurd, connects generational welfare recipients and rent regulated tenants.

Ghetto culture includes poverty and a number of cultural behaviors - destructive ones - that are built right into the definition.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 AM

224 posts, read 223,019 times
Well we need to broom those poor people out of sight like Paris does. Manhattan and its immediate areas should be be uniformly wealthy and attractive. Public housing has no business in Manhattan. NYC is the biggest, most powerful, richest city in the world so we need to keep up appearances and act like it.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:13 AM

2,503 posts, read 3,241,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
to me ghetto doesn't mean being loud and guns and drugs it means lower income families/people who make the best of what they got......just a thought

Ummmmmmm...actually GHETTO does indeed mean loud a$$ people, guns, drugs, hustling, etc. Nothing about the word GHETTO means hard working low income people. Thats YOUR interpretation.

Maybe because you have family members that are poor and looked at as "ghetto" from other people based on the way they look, dress, act and talk in a public settings. However you see your family members in a more intimate and humble setting which distorts your view and the assessment of your family members being ghetto. Causing you to disagree.

The fact is, you can be low income and NOT resort to that type of ghetto behavior and culture. Those low income, non-ghetto people I sympathize for and have no issue with.

However, I have an issue with the ghetto folks. They are the scum of NYC. The thugs, hoodrats, the ones you see chillin' in the corner or sitting on the stoop.

Those are the ones gentrification needs to flush out of NY. NY will be a better and safer place without them.

Those are the ones who contribute to society's ills. Those are the ones why us working NYers are taxed so high so those tax dollars can be used to provide social programs for these losers and leechers who don't deserve a dime.

Old 09-17-2011, 12:21 PM

4,841 posts, read 7,140,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How about:
STABILITY = GOOD.

Agree.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:31 PM

8,729 posts, read 12,077,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
How about:
STABILITY = GOOD.

NYC might not be the place for you; I'd recommend Philly.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:04 PM

12,970 posts, read 15,278,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Ummmmmmm...actually GHETTO does indeed mean loud a$$ people, guns, drugs, hustling, etc. Nothing about the word GHETTO means hard working low income people. Thats YOUR interpretation.

Maybe because you have family members that are poor and looked at as "ghetto" from other people based on the way they look, dress, act and talk in a public settings. However you see your family members in a more intimate and humble setting which distorts your view and the assessment of your family members being ghetto. Causing you to disagree.

The fact is, you can be low income and NOT resort to that type of ghetto behavior and culture. Those low income, non-ghetto people I sympathize for and have no issue with.

However, I have an issue with the ghetto folks. They are the scum of NYC. The thugs, hoodrats, the ones you see chillin' in the corner or sitting on the stoop.

Those are the ones gentrification needs to flush out of NY. NY will be a better and safer place without them.

Those are the ones who contribute to society's ills. Those are the ones why us working NYers are taxed so high so those tax dollars can be used to provide social programs for these losers and leechers who don't deserve a dime.
Somebody finally said what I was thinking. Sometimes when I'm around educated out of towners and they ask where I am from and when I say the Bronx, they suddenly give a perplexed dumbfounded expressions on thier faces, they dont really know that not every one in the Bronx is not ghetto hoodrats and can be educated, knowledgeable and able to express themselves in an articulate demeanor. I agree to many hoodrats in much of the city, I wish I can help them but I get taxed alot helping hoodrats already.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 PM

6,886 posts, read 6,986,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post

There are many more working and middle class people than ghetto people (I think ...? hope ...?), and I think we will be gentrified out along with them if things proceed as they have been.

There are other complexities. With "affordable" apartments downtown, you often get people who are from some money, or even a lot of money, who are technically on their own, lacking student loan debt, of course, and they have moved into these places ! After moving to New York last year.
This is not right.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:36 AM

24 posts, read 72,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BOSS View Post
The real evil is showcasing any poverty in the city to the tourists, gentrification is a good thing.
This is far from true. A lot of tourists love the grimey vibe and history of NYC.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:26 AM

57 posts, read 102,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Completely disagree. There is an error now, equating poverty and ghetto culture. These are not synonymous, not at all. There are hoards of working poor, working and middle class, who are not a part of ghetto culture. And yes, they are working to make the best of what they have.

A similar error, and one that approaches the absurd, connects generational welfare recipients and rent regulated tenants.

Ghetto culture includes poverty and a number of cultural behaviors - destructive ones - that are built right into the definition.
Like is wrote "to me" its not a literal definition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City