Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 09:48 AM

810 posts, read 836,628 times

Advertisements

If people really love the ghetto then they should move to Detroit. There you won't see any gentrification or those evil, dreaded hipsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 10:42 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
If people really love the ghetto then they should move to Detroit. There you won't see any gentrification or those evil, dreaded hipsters.

Exactly right. It pisses me off when I hear people on this board bashing gentrification, yuppies and hipsters. They rather keep the status quo of keeping the area ghetto than to improve the quality of life of the area by embracing gentrification and all the wonderful things it brings.

Like I've said before in the past, I'd take yuppies and hipsters over ghetto a$$ people any day!!! It's a NO BRAINER! Man...I can't stand ghetto people, what they stand for, their lifestyle, their culture, their everything. They should just relocate to Detroit or Newark and be around other like-minded people instead of messing up what we have going here in NY.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Exactly right. It pisses me off when I hear people on this board bashing gentrification, yuppies and hipsters. They rather keep the status quo of keeping the area ghetto than to improve the quality of life of the area by embracing gentrification and all the wonderful things it brings.

Like I've said before in the past, I'd take yuppies and hipsters over ghetto a$$ people any day!!! It's a NO BRAINER! Man...I can't stand ghetto people, what they stand for, their lifestyle, their culture, their everything. They should just relocate to Detroit or Newark and be around other like-minded people instead of messing up what we have going here in NY.
Huh? "Messing up what we have going on here in NY"?! You say that as if poverty stricken ghettos are a new thing in NYC when really the whole yuppie/hipster image and style is recent to NYC.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:46 AM

810 posts, read 836,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Huh? "Messing up what we have going on here in NY"?! You say that as if poverty stricken ghettos are a new thing in NYC when really the whole yuppie/hipster image and style is recent to NYC.
Things change. Some towns/cities go to ruin, others improve. Which would you rather have?

Old 11-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
What we have going such as improvement in safety, quality of life, gentrification, etc. Take the Bronx for example, there is no reason why the Bronx could not gentrify being a half hour commute to the city. What holds up gentrification in the Bronx is the current ghetto residents which acts as a deterants to gentrifiers. So they hold off delaying the gentrifying movement.

Decent people don't want to be around trashy ghetto people and rightfully so.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:47 PM

27 posts, read 75,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
I've worked in Newark for nearly 6 years now. Downtown. It's not 1996 anymore. I haven't had any serious problems.
I agree, it's a cesspool west of MLK blvd, but actually, plenty of ghettos in NYC should follow Newark's example. The Ironbound secton, Forest Hill, Society Hill- these places have gotten heaps better in the past decade. It lead the nation in violent crime reduction in 2008, the city grew according to the 2010 census after 50 years of not growing, and it also leads the nation in male black graduation rates. Class Struggle - Study: NJ and Newark lead nation in black male graduation rates
You really don't need to worry about dodging bullets much at all on the Easern end of Newark. the Itonbound section is actually pretty underrated if you ask me, it's worth a visit if your ever in the mood for Portuguese cuisene. The Gentrification of Newark however, has made Irvington worse.

It's still a shabby city, but c'mon. No city in the entire nation made a bigger turn around in the past decade and it damn sure doesn't need NY's trash.
(This post isn't fully directed at you btw)
(coming from a former Newark resident) Newark is not as bad as it used to be but it is far from the nicest place to live. The Ironbound was always the nicest part (in my opinion) and still is. The vibe is awesome and while downtown (i call it mini-Manhattan) is "nice" because of its high-end bars and high-rises I avoid it. It is the most overpriced place in New Jersey.

While there are some gentrification projects going on in Newark now, I feel it is slightly good but mostly horrible. Why tear down old brownstones and place up these ugly as all hell new constructions. NYC and Newark both have history, why destroy it?

Back to NYC....

As a white guy, why does everyone think because of my skin color that I am "rich, hipster, yuppie..etc". I am not trying to tear down your neighborhood, I moved there because I can afford it, and I like the vibe. I personally will never buy overpriced "organic, vegan, wholesome food" or $8 coffees.... I think revitalization is great, and the best thing for a lot of neighborhoods. I do not know anyone personally that likes looking at decaying buildings, watching the streets shimmer with broken glass, or walk in fear of being robbed. I know I have been priced out or simply cannot afford some neighborhoods. (on a side-note I do hate hipsters and trust-fund babies)

I think what is being referred to here as gentrification is actually just greed, assumptions, and generally ass-hattery. One major gripe I have with this "gentrification" of any neighborhood is the destroying of history and replacing with the bland consumer grade crap "chain-retail, luxury condos, etc".

I think some people don't realize just because we did not grow up somewhere, does not mean we are just a transient trust-funder that would love to get a luxury condo in a "gritty" neighborhood.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:51 PM

27 posts, read 75,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
Affordable housing definitely isn't gentrification, I live in SI....
Well I always heard the term "Newark Renaissance" get flung around, and it does make sense. Not only the Prudential Center but also the NJPAC and (sorry, i said society hill before and have no clue why) University Heights has sprung up and attracted a lot of young professional IE Rutgers/NJIT/UMDNJ students.
The area around NJIT is undergoing some gentrification (so I've heard), soon to be called "Greek Village". NJIT: Greek Village: Gateway Project
Newark's west/south ward is going no where though, not that I know of anyway.

At this point the city is just going broke (nearby Harrison especially), hence all the police cuts and such, so affordable housing is just promoting growth. NJ just needs to provide more jobs- I believe it saw the least amount of job growth nation wide.
This "Newark Renaissance" is general crap since they cannot afford it and they are forcing out people with eminent domain, not the nicer price-out. (heads up eminent domain they give you **** for a building you own!). The city cannot affoard this project and they want to tear down EVERYTHING! If you look by the James St. PJs they already torn down A TON of buildings and are going farther and farther, assuming they are trying to go all the way to i-280.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
What we have going such as improvement in safety, quality of life, gentrification, etc. Take the Bronx for example, there is no reason why the Bronx could not gentrify being a half hour commute to the city. What holds up gentrification in the Bronx is the current ghetto residents which acts as a deterants to gentrifiers. So they hold off delaying the gentrifying movement.

Decent people don't want to be around trashy ghetto people and rightfully so.
The thing that's holding up the gentrification is the fact that it doesn't immediately border the Central Business District (CBD) like Brooklyn and Queens do. The closest The Bronx gets to Midtown is at Port Morris, which is still 4 miles from Midtown. By contrast, areas like Williamsburg, Downtown Brooklyn, and LIC are directly across from either Midtown or Lower Manhattan.

Sure, when you have the subway, it's only a few minutes difference, but you also have to consider that from The Bronx, there are fewer direct, reliable options. During rush hour, the Lexington Avenue Line is congested and overcrowded (which is why the Second Avenue Subway might indirectly help The Bronx gentrify a little more), and the 7th Avenue Line makes too many stops before it reaches Midtown (it makes all the stops in Harlem and goes west before veering east)

Old 11-20-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
The thing that's holding up the gentrification is the fact that it doesn't immediately border the Central Business District (CBD) like Brooklyn and Queens do. The closest The Bronx gets to Midtown is at Port Morris, which is still 4 miles from Midtown. By contrast, areas like Williamsburg, Downtown Brooklyn, and LIC are directly across from either Midtown or Lower Manhattan.

Sure, when you have the subway, it's only a few minutes difference, but you also have to consider that from The Bronx, there are fewer direct, reliable options. During rush hour, the Lexington Avenue Line is congested and overcrowded (which is why the Second Avenue Subway might indirectly help The Bronx gentrify a little more), and the 7th Avenue Line makes too many stops before it reaches Midtown (it makes all the stops in Harlem and goes west before veering east)
You must also realize that there are a HUGE number of people that work all over Manhattan that commute from Westchester and upstate. Given the opportunity, these commuters would prefer to live closer to NYC without breaking the bank. The Bronx in my opinion is the ideal location with a 30 minute train ride to Grand Central.

So the potential for the Bronx to gentrify is definitely there, its just a matter of cleansing the Bronx from the ghetto people that blight it and that deter classier people from relocating to the Bronx.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 AM

125 posts, read 333,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer9019 View Post
This "Newark Renaissance" is general crap since they cannot afford it and they are forcing out people with eminent domain, not the nicer price-out. (heads up eminent domain they give you **** for a building you own!). The city cannot affoard this project and they want to tear down EVERYTHING! If you look by the James St. PJs they already torn down A TON of buildings and are going farther and farther, assuming they are trying to go all the way to i-280.
I actually wasn't aware of this. Do you have link by any chance so that I can look deeper into this? I've heard a lot of talk about projects and such being torn down- but that's gentrification for you. James St runs into University heights, St Michaels Medical center, Rutgers, Newark Library etc.. the street randomly goes into an area full of courtyard project buildings once you go past MLK. I always thought a lot of them were abandoned anyway? They're not tearing down the brownstones are they?? I don't necessarily condemn eminent domain, but tearing down those courtyards is a good start if the city wanted more desirable living space for students.
I still think Newark is a diamond in the rough.

Last edited by Looking2BeFree; 11-21-2011 at 02:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City