U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2011, 11:07 AM

224 posts, read 70,859 times

Advertisements

This country was built around the free market. Kick those poor people to the curb. Gentrification rules!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 11:14 AM

971 posts, read 885,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balmain View Post
This country was built around the free market. Kick those poor people to the curb. Gentrification rules!!!
...i hope thats a joke

Old 09-16-2011, 11:15 AM

224 posts, read 70,859 times
It wasn't...

Old 09-16-2011, 01:01 PM

3,964 posts, read 2,799,141 times
Quote:
One might have hoped that the "mortgage crisis" would have taught some people that the much-touted "free market" is an illusion, and a powerful one.

And yet, alas.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:30 PM

1,365 posts, read 542,222 times
Gentrification = Evil, Ghettofication = Good?

Gentrification is not the evil. Gentri brings new people, ideas, business, etc. It can revitalize a neighborhood/economy. The issue becomes when the native residents DON"T adapt or accept change.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:28 PM

6,012 posts, read 3,662,854 times
I think it's mainly an issue of ownership. Those who own their properties are more likely to invest in them, and the surrounding neighborhood. The problem is, of course, only certain people can afford to own in a city like New York in the first place.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:16 PM

3,964 posts, read 2,799,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Klato View Post
Gentrification = Evil, Ghettofication = Good?

Gentrification is not the evil. Gentri brings new people, ideas, business, etc. It can revitalize a neighborhood/economy. The issue becomes when the native residents DON"T adapt or accept change.
You should look at the youtube footage of CB 10 meetings. Real eye-openers.

I was at some of those meetings. In part, they created my current pessimistic mood.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:00 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,323,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think it's mainly an issue of ownership. Those who own their properties are more likely to invest in them, and the surrounding neighborhood. The problem is, of course, only certain people can afford to own in a city like New York in the first place.
Thing is that it was only 10 years ago, it wasn't too hard to own in NYC. IT was reasonable for middle class people to own brownstones that only cost $300,000 in the early 00s, now...fuhgeddaboutit!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM

57 posts, read 65,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
Why does gentrification always have to be about whites moving into black neighborhoods,and driving up prices. What I see happening in my neighborhood is Blacks and Hispanics who grew up poor, got an education, good job, worked their way up to middle-class, and are able to buy homes in the communities they grew up in. This should be viewed as a positive in the black/hispanic communities, rather than focus on a few hipsters that may move in here and there...
Ok for starters and education is important......BUT right now there are people with Bachelor degrees that can't find jobs

Secondly not everyone can make the same salary....there's always going to be people who make more than other so there's always going to be a high income, middle income and lower income.

Gentrification means investing in a lower income neighborhood and the only people who really benefit from it is those who have money to pay the higher rent prices and the original inhabitants who are of lower income are forced to move.....that's not right!!

I hear people say "oh it will make jobs for them!" jobs that pay what? $10/hr!!!.....

a lot of these people are older residents who've lived there for years...how are they going to pay for rising costs living on a fixed income?

Both lawyers and teachers have an education but the lawyer will definitely make more money and that teacher who makes less than $40k a year has to leave the neighborhood he/she can't afford it anymore because some yuppie wants to make the block a hip trendy spot with coffee shops and bars??? How does EVERYONE benefit from this?

Old 09-16-2011, 09:05 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,821,759 times
Quote:
Hell YEAH!!!! Native NYer here and I'm so glad gentrification has occurred in NYC and hopefully spreads to the current "hoods" in the 5 boroughs to revitalize and claim back those neighborhoods that weren't always ghetto until ignorant ghetto a$$ poor folks moved in and scared the then current and more desirable residents away.

I want to see the Bronx gentrified, Brooklyn, Queens and upper Manhattan. Who cares where these poor ghetto folks get displaced to, the city is better with out them. Newark sounds like a place they would fit in nicely.

Besides, KARMA is a biach! Thugs and ghetto people in general f'ed it up and FORCED decent people to move from their home because these ghetto unruly people infiltrated their neighborhoods and made it unsafe. So they fled.

Now its time for payback biaches...since fear won't flush out these ghetto people from the neighborhoods they've corrupted, then pricing them OUT via gentrification will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City