U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-03-2011, 08:31 PM

107 posts, read 122,456 times

Advertisements

If I get time during my stay, I'd like to do a day trip from Manhattan to either Philadelphia or the Jersey Shore. I'll be there in August. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

My biggest concern is the travel time and ease of transport.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 09:53 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,346,568 times
What are you looking to do? The shore and Philly are such different animals.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 PM

3,337 posts, read 3,646,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
If I get time during my stay, I'd like to do a day trip from Manhattan to either Philadelphia or the Jersey Shore. I'll be there in August. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

My biggest concern is the travel time and ease of transport.
You can take Amtrak to Philly, but that might be expensive. The cheaper option (NJT Northeast Corridor Line to the SEPTA Trenton Line) might take longer.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0070.pdf (Northeast Corridor Line)
http://septa.org/schedules/rail/pdf/tre.pdf (SEPTA Trenton Line)

The Jersey Shore is along the NJT North Jersey Coast Line (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0080.pdf)

Old 07-04-2011, 02:19 PM

11,233 posts, read 10,883,138 times
Philadelphia is very interesting with historical sites(Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, etc.,) a nice zoo, and a world class Art Museum. The SHORE is very relaxing, unless Atlantic City gambling is your thing????

Both are readily accessible by train or bus but both are much more pleasant with a rental car.
Philly in August is going to be BROILING...so most Philadelphians are at the Jersey Shore!

Old 07-04-2011, 06:01 PM

107 posts, read 122,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
What are you looking to do? The shore and Philly are such different animals.

I'd like to do both of these options except for time constraints so it will probably come down to which of these is more convenient and quicker to get to.
Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,278,165 times
Go to the Shore. Much better place than Philly.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,346,568 times
I'm a museum/learning type of traveler, so I would usually pick Philly. But if I only had a day, I would probably go to Fire Island. I know it isn't one of your options, but dealing with the Shore crowds for a day without a room to relax in would drive me crazy.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:23 AM

11,233 posts, read 10,883,138 times
A day trip to Fire Island without a room to rest in can be brutal also. Without an overnight all three of the trips don't really seem worth all the trouble. Any of these trips is going to involve 6 hours of travelling. WITH an overnight stay any of them will be a good choice.

For just a day, I think I'd stay in Town and do something extra here...go to Coney Island or spend a day at the Metropolitan Museum and have a nice meal.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:04 AM

2,707 posts, read 4,947,406 times
Both Philadelphia and the Jersey Shore are great places. Definitely depends on what you want to do, as both places are completely different. If you choose the shore, you might enjoy one of the more laid back beach towns. I would suggest Ocean Grove, as it's not too far from the city and it's really an interesting place, artsy and a bit quirky, with beautiful old Victorian houses.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM

2,687 posts, read 3,103,654 times
Jersey Shore I would recommend renting a car. There are some nice towns to drive around and explore. Philadelphia you can easily go by bus or train. I love spending an occasional weekend there. These are two very different places, as other posters have pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City