Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 01:28 AM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times

Advertisements

Well it's illegal in the city and state levels. The city actually had a big display of
blowing up all of the fireworks they confiscated. The state might legalize sparklers, but keep firecrackers illegal. Doesn't matter though since the city is going to keep all fireworks illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 04:53 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Can someone explain to me WHY if Fireworks are illegal in NYC, why is EVERYONE setting them off??
Simple: because one thing has nothing to do with the other!

(Also, you'll notice that not all laws are enforced equally. There's a law in New York State--I have no idea who proposed it or why--that says you aren't allowed to wear slippers after 10PM. I haven't heard of any arrests under this law. As we say around here, go figure.)

Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times
Typical mentality! Patriotism and setting off ILLEGAL Fireworks that shake and rattle one's private home (so badly that I had pictures falling off my walls) have ZERO to do with one another. I and MANY MANY others do not understand why this is 'FUN'. I can think of about a million other ways to have fun. I like to party, drink and VIEW PROFESSIONAL Fireworks (they are beautiful and appreciated). This is nothing more than GUYS wanting to blow S**t up and using the 4th of July as an excuse to do so. I have hated it since I was a little girl. Scares my pets, makes my daughter jumpy and anxious and once again it is UNECESSARY in order to have fun. My family were WWII survivors - and they absolutely cannot take this because it sounds very much like BOMBS.
Use sparklers, small firecrackers IF YOU MUST. But the HUGE Explosive types are unecessary. When Guiliani was in office, things were very quiet for many years as he had cracked down on possession and use of these illegal fireworks.
Oh and there are very good reasons why these are illegal...it's because every year people lose fingers, hands, limbs to firework accidents SMH. Not to mention that in the dense areas, they can cause fires!!
I guess Americans just like to blow stuff up - as is evidenced by being at War for over 200 years.
This argument is apparently moot, but at least I know I have numerous people on my side. In fact when speaking to the NYPD I was told that they had been receiving 100's of complaints and simply did not have enough manpower to respond to every one.
P.S. If I have to get up for work at 5 AM, I don't know about anyone else, but I need my 6 to 8 hours of relaxing sleep. And being awakened every 10 minutes by EXPLOSIONS is NOT my definition of a relaxing sleep.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:07 AM

Check out: Fireworks Fact Sheet (http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/012.html - broken link)

Old 07-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Some other resources are The Alliance to Stop Consumer Fireworks
Also see: Fireworks Safety - There is only one safe way to enjoy fireworks

Some Statistics: There were 6,300 fireworks-related injuries from June 18 to July 18 last year, according to a report by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. There were three fireworks-related deaths last year and two in 2009, the commission said. Forty percent of the injuries involved
children under 15. There were 1,300 injuries from sparklers, which would be legal under the bill. That's 100 more injuries than were caused by firecrackers and bottle rockets combined, which
would remain illegal. The American Association of Pediatrics has joined with the National Fire Prevention Association to form the Alliance to Stop Consumer Fireworks, an organization that advocates a ban on the sale of fireworks to nonprofessionals. The pediatricians association advises
people to see professional displays instead.

AND THIS IS WHAT YOU ALL CONSIDER 'GOOD FAMILY FUN'

NYPD cops caught red handed.... in THEE RANT Forum-

Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Typical mentality! Patriotism and setting off ILLEGAL Fireworks that shake and rattle one's private home (so badly that I had pictures falling off my walls) have ZERO to do with one another. I and MANY MANY others do not understand why this is 'FUN'. I can think of about a million other ways to have fun. I like to party, drink and VIEW PROFESSIONAL Fireworks (they are beautiful and appreciated). This is nothing more than GUYS wanting to blow S**t up and using the 4th of July as an excuse to do so. I have hated it since I was a little girl. Scares my pets, makes my daughter jumpy and anxious and once again it is UNECESSARY in order to have fun. My family were WWII survivors - and they absolutely cannot take this because it sounds very much like BOMBS.
Use sparklers, small firecrackers IF YOU MUST. But the HUGE Explosive types are unecessary. When Guiliani was in office, things were very quiet for many years as he had cracked down on possession and use of these illegal fireworks.
Oh and there are very good reasons why these are illegal...it's because every year people lose fingers, hands, limbs to firework accidents SMH. Not to mention that in the dense areas, they can cause fires!!
I guess Americans just like to blow stuff up - as is evidenced by being at War for over 200 years.
This argument is apparently moot, but at least I know I have numerous people on my side. In fact when speaking to the NYPD I was told that they had been receiving 100's of complaints and simply did not have enough manpower to respond to every one.
P.S. If I have to get up for work at 5 AM, I don't know about anyone else, but I need my 6 to 8 hours of relaxing sleep. And being awakened every 10 minutes by EXPLOSIONS is NOT my definition of a relaxing sleep.
There are plenty of things worth getting worked up over in the city, something that happens a couple days a year isn't one of them. You wear earplugs, take some sleeping pills, make sure your pets are indoors, and give flak jackets to your shell shocked WWII vet relatives while screaming at them to take cover from the Luftwaffe

Old 07-05-2011, 08:54 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
What a bunch of cry babies.
Geeeeeeeeeeeeez!
It's the FOURTH OF JULY!!!!!!!!!!!!
r e l a x

Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM

Sorry - but I'm entitled to PEACE and QUIET in and around MY home. Don't care if it's one day out of the year or many. Even my 19 year old and ALL of her friends agree. Too bad you can't read some of the humerous posts on Tumblr about this.
Once again - it is STILL ILLEGAL. And even if legislation passes legalizing 'Sparklers' in NY - ALL of the other things will remain Illegal and for very very good reason.
No reason not to have BBQ's, parties AND enjoy the PROFESSIONAL Fireworks displays.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:10 AM

439 posts, read 896,261 times
Quote:
Sorry - but I'm entitled to PEACE and QUIET in and around MY home. Don't care if it's one day out of the year or many. Even my 19 year old and ALL of her friends agree. Too bad you can't read some of the humerous posts on Tumblr about this.
Once again - it is STILL ILLEGAL. And even if legislation passes legalizing 'Sparklers' in NY - ALL of the other things will remain Illegal and for very very good reason.
No reason not to have BBQ's, parties AND enjoy the PROFESSIONAL Fireworks displays.
Can you post a link to what you're talking about at least?

And the sad truth is... people just don't givea rat's *** about other people's need for peace and quiet. You either just deal with it or leave.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:24 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,813,926 times
What did you do in the 80s and 90s when the illegal fireworks were everywhere?
I mean every single block....
Massive usage...all over the place....
What did u do then?
You should be happy it's not like that anymore.
You big baby you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City