Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM

277 posts, read 883,740 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Are there any other neighborhoods that I should consider. I am looking for housing right now, and I don't have time to walk all 5 boroughs so feel free to save me some time and email me which neighborhoods have the personalities that I prefer in any borough. I am currently looking for the right place to live in NYC. Commute isn't a big deal since I have a virtual office and will not buy a car. I will use the train or reliable bus lines.

So far, I am in love with Bushwick and Ridgewood because:
1. Pedestrians walking down the streets during the weekend and at night.
2. Affordable shopping. (e.g $2 tacos, $3 shirts, and $5 pizza)
3. The neighborhoods had one huge street with stores, but then residences that lined the cross streets.
4. I felt safe (even as I walked past public housing).
5. The close train stops & bus lines that ran often were very impressive.
6. Roommates want $700 or less.

*Walking safely at night is important to me. Libraries, coffee shops, parks, grocery stores, and banks are all factors that I will consider.

Just as an example of what I don't like. I didn't like Washington Heights and East Broadway since the buildings looked so ugly and there were not any cheap places to eat. The area didn't feel safe either. Also, Willamsburg doesn't impress me. It seems like food is pricey and the exterior of warehouses and abandoned buildings is scarey at night. Plus, Williamsburg doesn't seem that diverse to me.

Thanks!

*I speak Spanish & English so Latino or Non-Latino areas are fine for me.

Last edited by 7035683216; 07-05-2011 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 PM

188 posts, read 920,045 times
Check out Astoria and Jackson Heights in Queens, both are extremely diverse areas with great cheap ethnic food, with similar rents to Ridgewood/Bushwick, and feel slightly safer. Aside from some blocks, I dunno I would categorize Bushwick as "attractive" architectually, but you seem to like it. I lived near Myrtle and Forest for a while, and it is convenient with banks and supermarkets, could use some coffeeshops and some more sit down restaurants, but its not bad for its price.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:58 PM

277 posts, read 883,740 times
Skywalker400,

Thank you so much for your response! I'll follow up on this area. Do you know if it could be called something else on Craigslist? I don't see any listings with the location described as Jackson Heights.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:00 PM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
Check out Astoria and Jackson Heights in Queens, both are extremely diverse areas with great cheap ethnic food, with similar rents to Ridgewood/Bushwick, and feel slightly safer. Aside from some blocks, I dunno I would categorize Bushwick as "attractive" architectually, but you seem to like it. I lived near Myrtle and Forest for a while, and it is convenient with banks and supermarkets, could use some coffeeshops and some more sit down restaurants, but its not bad for its price.
I too think that Astoria & Jackson Heights might fit what you are looking for. You might also want to consider Elmhurst & Corona in Queens or perhaps Glendale (which is right next to Ridgewood) in Queens.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:12 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Don't leave Brooklyn neighborhoods like Bensonhurst, Bath Beach and Flatlands off your list!

Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Rego Park

Old 07-06-2011, 07:11 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Pelham parkway area aswell as norwood in the bronx.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
I live in Ridgewood... Love the neighborhood and its diversity... crime still happens but to a far less degree than in neighboring Bushwick... and with the gentrification talk not hitting Ridgewood (thankfully)... the rents are still decent for the area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: