Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 PM

65 posts, read 147,823 times

Advertisements

I understand that Astoria is not LES or Williamsburg, however I am curious how the nightlife is.
- On weekends are people out past 2 A.M?
- In general are there any parts of Astoria with any type of 24/7 vibe?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 PM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
There are tons of places around Broadway and Steinway (23ish) that have later night crowds. It actually seems like there are always some people walking around (I have gotten off the train @3-4 am and plenty of people walking around where I feel safe). I don't know about 24/7 though, but even Williamsburg doesn't have that.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:34 AM

58 posts, read 117,663 times
Yes. I go there frequently and stay late most of the time. A lot of places are still packed way into the night... Especially around broadway. Just don't venture too far into the outskirts

Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
why would people want any nightlife in their neighborhoods is beyond me.

ever try to sleep with drunks screaming through the neighborhood???

Old 07-06-2011, 11:12 AM

542 posts, read 1,479,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
why would people want any nightlife in their neighborhoods is beyond me.

ever try to sleep with drunks screaming through the neighborhood???
This was why I left Williamsburg. Too many people with no jobs and nothing to do but hang out all the time.

In Astoria there are areas of nightlife that are very nearby, but most chunks are residential and quiet. So you get the best of both worlds plus incredibly easy and quick access to Manhattan.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:34 AM

988 posts, read 3,255,271 times
30th ave around Steinway probably has the largest cluster of nightlife in Astoria. Broadway does too. There are tons of other bars but they're more scattered throughout the neighborhood. Closing time is around 2-3am it seems. Many restaurants in Astoria are 24/7 and tons are open until around 3a-4a.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM

@Queensres - Why would your warn me not to venture towards the outskirts... Do you feel it is dangerous? I am left with the impression that for the most part Astoria is a very safe neighborhood.

@ whateveryoneelsehassaid - It is good to hear that within the neighborhood of Astoria their are a good amount of nightlife options, and places to eat at almost all hours. I just don't want to feel like I HAVE to go to Manhattan just to have a good night.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 PM

Does the neighborhood feel dead in the winter?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 AM

58 posts, read 117,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnLove View Post
@Queensres - Why would your warn me not to venture towards the outskirts... Do you feel it is dangerous? I am left with the impression that for the most part Astoria is a very safe neighborhood.

@ whateveryoneelsehassaid - It is good to hear that within the neighborhood of Astoria their are a good amount of nightlife options, and places to eat at almost all hours. I just don't want to feel like I HAVE to go to Manhattan just to have a good night.
In general it's pretty safe, but there are also a lot of industrial areas and just dead areas in general around there that I would personally avoid at night. But usually there is no reason to go to these places so you should be fine

I've had many good nights around there. It's obviously not a direct substitute for the city, but it is a decent one. You might eventually get bored, but it will take a while

Old 07-07-2011, 06:45 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Nightlife?

Jump on the N or the Q and fly into Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City