Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:50 AM

346 posts, read 1,256,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You basically have have 2.5 million working folks supporting the other working poor and non working population.
Do you honestly believe that 6 million of the 8.5 million New Yorkers are on section 8? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
The very idea of starting this thread reeks of instigation. I'm surprised it's lasted this long!

Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhboy View Post
Do you honestly believe that 6 million of the 8.5 million New Yorkers are on section 8? LOL
No and that's not what I was implying. Those 2.5 million who don't get any aid obviously have families of their own (although they're apt to be smaller families as there's an inverse correlation with wealth and family size). These 2.5 million take care of everyone. That's not an incorrect statement.

Section 8 isn't the only state welfare program. some people receive all available welfare aid while others receive individual components.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:51 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I think section 8 should be limited to 5 years. The exceptions should be for the elderly, mentally ill and the disabled. I do not understand why perfectly healthy people are receiving full payment for section 8. What is the incentive to strive for more? This leads me to believe the government does not want them to strive for more.

I am not sure why you want to designate Staten Island as the dumping ground for the section 8 community. All of the boroughs need to accept their share. I believe they should live in the projects or housing designated for them.

Unfortunately, the government is encouraging people to rent their homes out to them. People work hard to provide a good life for their families without obtaining assistance from the government, and are forced to live next to them because of guaranteed rent. They sit in front of the stoop with no where to go and nothing to do. They cause the crime rate to go up and drugs to move in. I believe the government fully knows exactly what they are doing. The upper middle class will not be affected because the voucher payments are not high enough to get in their neighborhood. The working and lower middle class are the ones that will be impacted.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I think section 8 should be limited to 5 years. The exceptions should be for the elderly, mentally ill and the disabled. I do not understand why perfectly healthy people are receiving full payment for section 8. What is the incentive to strive for more? This leads me to believe the government does not want them to strive for more.

I am not sure why you want to designate Staten Island as the dumping ground for the section 8 community. All of the boroughs need to accept their share. I believe they should live in the projects or housing designated for them.

Unfortunately, the government is encouraging people to rent their homes out to them. People work hard to provide a good life for their families without obtaining assistance from the government, and are forced to live next to them because of guaranteed rent. They sit in front of the stoop with no where to go and nothing to do. They cause the crime rate to go up and drugs to move in. I believe the government fully knows exactly what they are doing. The upper middle class will not be affected because the voucher payments are not high enough to get in their neighborhood. The working and lower middle class are the ones that will be impacted.
You are absolutely right. I live in a nice enough neighborhood, but there are a few of the Section 8 houses down the block from me and what you said is so true. All they do is sit in front of their house all day, on the stoop causing trouble. Or they stand in front of this deli that is nearby causing all sorts of problems. The police are often around having to break up whatever trouble they start.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
make it? The country will have no money to give them all welfare checks. I could see them building areas that are maintained by the government that pretty much gives you and your spouse a bed room, kitchen and and bathroom. Food will be provided by the government and everybody has some type of job at the complex.

It seems like the only logical way to provide the basic needs of American citizens when they have no income.

I think by having these type of complexes it will be cheaper than giving out checks to those in need.
^Sounds like communism and/or concentration camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
When the burden and responsibility to support these kids are falling on the shoulders of hard working tax paying citizens, then I think it should.
I hear this phrase used a lot. Is this working a 40 hr week at a desk? Or working a back-breaking job?

When you say this, I imagine a middle-aged guy with a yellow hardhat on, who works 12-hour shifts at a dangerous construction site, who lives in a modest abode with his family, and barely has enough money at the end of the week to take his family out on weekends. He probably has back problems and aches all the time too.

Many of us taxpayers don't fit this ^. Supporting poor people with our tax dollars is the least of our problems IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
So u think there's nothing wrong with poor people who are on welfare to continue reproducing so that tax payers who actually work can support these children? My theory is, if you can't afford to support a child, then don't have one!
Maybe when you get your island dream, you can have the taxpayers pay to send planes over that drop condoms and birth control pills.

The silver lining in things like Section 8, is that the government money goes back into the hands of private citizens (the landlords), who can use it to further stimulate the economy.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:53 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
^Sounds like communism and/or concentration camps.

You must not know what a concentration camp is if you think that.

What's worse? Having people who failed to prepare for retirement live in the streets dieing or living in run down houses that you wouldn't even want your animals to live in?

Or having them in homes that are maintained to sustain weather conditions, food is passed out, safety is ensured.

Keep in mind I'm not refering to the whole population. Simply the population that failed to prepare for retirement. That's really not a bad deal if you ask me. If you fail to prepare for retirement the people who are going to have to pay for your to live your last days should have a say in how there money goes to you. I think I think it would be cheaper to have huge complexes that house these people than giving them checks to help pay rent etc.

It's not like they are locked down and tortued (i.e. what a concentration actually is). They are free to do what they want. However, if you want a free bed, free food, basic NEEDS...not "wants".

Who knows what will happen in 30-40 years. I would not be surprised if the OP idea happened. All it takes is some well known political people to get involved and use their connections for votes etc.. and you'd be surprised what might happen.

I'm not saying I agree with the OP but it does bring a valid point that sooner or later there is only going to be 2 classes. The rich and the poor. The gap keeps getting wider. Social security is probably the only thing keeping older people above water to live there last days comfortably.

What happens when social security is gone?

For those of you who are putting into 401k and saving for retirement. How would you feel if the government told you in order to help pay for these people to live you're going to be taxed 50% of your returnings on 401k? Your hard earned money all those years, 50 % gone to those who never cared. Wouldn't that upset you off? Don't think it will never happen because the money will gave to come from somewhere.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
What happens when social security is gone?
They move in with their kids, family members, extended family members, friends, acquaintances. Or they'll still have to work to support themselves.

There'll have to be a cultural adaptation. Government doesn't have to be the answer to all of our problems.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:01 AM

288 posts, read 566,684 times
Yeah this thread is ridiculous. So much ignorance and ridiculous analogies going on... Maybe we shouldn't worry as much about section 8 and more about education.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Majority of Staten Island residents are descended from Brooklyn people....is that true?
Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City