Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,188 times

Advertisements

I get a small amount of FS each month and I'm surprised at what is allowed on them. I fully expected that sweets and chips and such wouldn't be allowed, but they are.

They don't pay for toilet paper though. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Toilet paper is not edible, and food stamps is for food. It makes sense that they would pay for chips and sweets as they are consumable, toilet paper is not.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
I think they should be restricted to the nutricious essentials guided by the food pyramid.

Anything else is a "luxury" and should be paid for on their own dime.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandle View Post
I've seen people at the bakery trying to use their food stamps on bagels, donuts and other baked goods. There's now a sign saying that ebt aren't allowed.

If one is so poor that they need food stamps then buying alcohol and junk food should be a luxury. They should only be allowed to buy meat, vegetables, fruit, water, bread, sandwich fillings, cereal, milk, etc. I pay for my groceries with my own money, therefore, I can buy whatever I choose to. If taxpayers are paying for your groceries then yes, there should be some stipulations on what you can and can't buy. Don't like it, then do something to improve your situation.
Agree 110%

I actually knew someone who tried to use food stamps at Omaha Steaks

*for those who aren't familiar with Omaha Steaks, it is a high end, gourmet food store. And most people who do not receive food stamps couldn't afford to eat there, let alone feed a family of four.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 AM

448 posts, read 685,209 times
Hahaha @ a snickers bar being a "luxury". I've heard it all now............

Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 PM

106 posts, read 251,440 times
If you shop for so much unhealthy food on tax payers dollars. you become sick with diabetes, high blood pressure etc. you are hospitalized again on taxpayer dollars.
So yes I think if you are using tax payer dollars there should be some type of guideline on what you can and cannot buy.
Another time I saw a man buy lots of candy with his food stamps and then lotto tickets with his credit card that was declined : 0
I didn't know you can pay for lotto tickets with a credit card.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:07 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
If you shop for so much unhealthy food on tax payers dollars. you become sick with diabetes, high blood pressure etc. you are hospitalized again on taxpayer dollars.
So yes I think if you are using tax payer dollars there should be some type of guideline on what you can and cannot buy.
Another time I saw a man buy lots of candy with his food stamps and then lotto tickets with his credit card that was declined : 0
I didn't know you can pay for lotto tickets with a credit card.
Well let's take it a step further. Why should we be obligated to even use our taxes to benefit others? Why should my tax dollars go to this country to help fight wars? I'm not fighting anybody. Why should money come out of my check for Social Security thats not mine, and I might not even have access to my own when I'm 65?

Let's not blame the government, but let's go after the 22 year old single mother of 2 who just happened to be buying her kids snacks when you walked through the front door of the bodega. Yeah, great idea guys!

These threads are getting more and more ridiculous. Its like NYC sucks so much we have to kick the people that are down already instead of going after the real bully. Sorry that certain people don't have a nice enough job, enough friends, or much of a life in general to really sit around and have such inconceivable thoughts like "shipping all the Section 8s to Staten Island" or "sanctioning food stamps." And blaming the people using them instead of the people that issue them.

If any of you who are denouncing what people spend their food stamps on would tell me that you would change your diet in an instant if u were on EBT, you're a liar.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 PM

448 posts, read 685,209 times
I still need to know how a 50 cent bag of doritos is a luxury.....

Old 07-08-2011, 05:41 PM

106 posts, read 251,440 times
so we should all start threads about skipping through the meadows.

These are real situations that happen in NYC and everyone is entitled to state their opinion.
I believe that is the purpose of the forum.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:47 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
so we should all start threads about skipping through the meadows.

These are real situations that happen in NYC and everyone is entitled to state their opinion.
I believe that is the purpose of the forum.
Way to circumnavigate around my point. You have a problem with how people spend their food stamps, but not the agency that issues them? All I'm saying is that that's who your real beef should be with. It's easy to post anything on this forum and call it an "opinion." But without any semblance of logic, how valid is that opinion? I think people just post to get a rise out of others sometimes, or just type without thinking sometimes. Hey we're all human, I get it.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City