Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Because if you're on food stamps, odds are the government is also going to be footing the bill for your healthcare, so they have a vested interest in you not getting diabetes and other such illnesses often related to a poor diet.

In their view, they're the ones paying for your groceries, therefore they have a say, to an extent, on what you get.

You can obviously still purchase twinkies and ho hos, you just have to use your own money for it.

Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 AM

559 posts, read 1,111,647 times
From an economist's point of view, cash transfers are more efficient because they allow the recipient full freedom to maximize his/her utility. Of course, if one has a paternalistic orientation, you would want to impose constraints on the use of such assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefourthreetwoone View Post
Should people on food stamps be told what they can and cannot buy with their food stamps. Or do you think it will become the same joke as WIC where people become friends with store workers and get the sugary cereal instead of the healthier one, etc

I saw a woman at costco buy tons of cakes and treats using EBT/SNAP which I think both stand for food stamps

Old 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I understand gov doesn't want to get into directly controlling what people choose to consume. Understandable. However I don't think government money should be used to purchase food that is obviously terrible for you.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 AM

142 posts, read 259,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I understand gov doesn't want to get into directly controlling what people choose to consume. Understandable. However I don't think government money should be used to purchase food that is obviously terrible for you.
Why not? It's already used to promote it, after all.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,293 times
Honestly , if you have your own life, don't need nothing cuz you work it and no depend form no gov or any source of help. Who the hell are you to put limits on anybodys life? Really ? Just stop looking what others eat or buy, !!! The truth the poor eats better than the wealthier !!!!! And that's a fact......

Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 AM

119 posts, read 339,448 times
These idiots pay for food with their food stamps/ebt cards yet are wearing the newest jordans/newest handbags.

Stop being lazy and taking my tax money and get a real job. Im 17 and word hard, and these late 20 year olds doing squat except being moochers.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 AM

801 posts, read 1,105,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Boy View Post
These idiots pay for food with their food stamps/ebt cards yet are wearing the newest jordans/newest handbags.

Stop being lazy and taking my tax money and get a real job. Im 17 and word hard, and these late 20 year olds doing squat except being moochers.
Grow up kid!!! Nothing is color purple all the time, make sure that you never lost your job , or you will wearing fake Jordan's like those you already saw!!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,816 times
How come people cant buy hot foods with their stamps?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:42 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Boy View Post

How do you know what they spend on their shoes or handbags. They could be knock offs or they could be from a flea market. I've found designer things at flea markets and tag sales. Or they could be gifts. You need to stop judging and presuming things about people you do not know.
My late Mom had a serious heart condition and was unable to work by the time she was only 50. She was on SSI and received Food Stamps. I would take her shopping and we'd buy food and groceries together. I can't tell you how many times we'd get the stink eye from people because they'd see a snack item in our cart. And so I say this again -- mind your business, stop assuming things about people when you do not know their situations!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:52 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
To all of those people talking about food stamp receivers spending their benefits on edibles(which is what stamps are for) that dont seem nutritious to them I ask this; Why do you care? They are caled food stamps.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City