U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-09-2007, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 11,560 times
Default Need to decide where to live?

Found a job in NYC near fifth ave and 49th street.

I am married and have 3 little kids (one 6-year old, and two 4-year old twins) and planning to spend $2000-2500 each month for a 2 bed room apt.

I am very much concerned about my kids safety and education, however my salary can not afford private school for them at least for now.

Can anyone recommend a decent place (good elementary school, low crime rate and nice environment) for me to live? I don't mind to spend 1 hour in traveling. Would New Jessy be a choice to me?

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 02:07 PM

318 posts, read 910,433 times
a 2br apartment for 2 adults and 3 kids is ridiculous. nyc apartments are so tiny.

i would definitely look in nj. for what you are willing to pay in rent, you can pay in a mortgage and have more space. my father commuted from red bank, nj for years - it's a little more than one hour door to door.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM

318 posts, read 910,433 times
your job is in easy commuting distance from port authority and penn station. i think nj has great schools (my family are mostly teachers in nj, and i attended school in nj) and quality of life (i lived in a small town on the shore and had a nice yard and never once felt unsafe - one of those places where everyone knows you and you never lock your door, etc - i know this doesn't appeal to everyone, but having lived in nyc for many years, it was not so bad in hindsight...)

Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM

Thanks amy for the reply, what about in snowing days? Is it still ok to drive from NJ to NY during these heavy snowing days? How much does it cost to own a decent house in NJ for 3-4 bed rooms. Also, do I have to drive 90 miles per hour in order to get in the office within an hour? I am very careful when driving and usually slowly.

Thanks a lot.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 PM

563 posts, read 1,185,268 times
I can speak for the Bronx.

I'm not sure how expensive Riverdale is. I know it's the second most expensive neighborhood in New York City, right behind the Upper East Side. That said, I'm sure you can find a two bedroom for that price. You can find a three bedroom for a little less in neighboring neighborhoods, as well.

Public Schools in Riverdale are slightly better than the New York City average, but that doesn't make them excellent. There's zero to no crime in Riverdale, and the same can be said for a few neighboring neighborhoods as well. The environment is very quiet and nice. The area is beautiful, especially up in the Fieldston subsection, where Mansion-like homes exist.

Most of the residents are Jewish and Irish, but there are somewhat sizeable minority populations as well, so the area has some diversity.

Old 08-09-2007, 04:46 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,194,553 times
I don't think she was talking about driving to NYC...she was talking about mass transit. Driving? Don't even think about it, unless you LIKE sitting and waiting to go through a tunnel or across a bridge.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:25 PM

YES, I know. I think she is saying that I can drive to the transit and then park and ride on the subway.

My question is: is it hard to drive to the transit during heavy snowing days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I don't think she was talking about driving to NYC...she was talking about mass transit. Driving? Don't even think about it, unless you LIKE sitting and waiting to go through a tunnel or across a bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City