Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM

110 posts, read 222,069 times

Advertisements

I asked an expat Aussie friend who now lives in Murray Hill whether he preferred the Guggenheim or the MoMA. He told me not to waste my time visiting the Guggenheim, that the only Guggenheim worth the visit was the one in Bilbao.

I've checked the permanent exhibitions online, the Guggenheim has Cezzane, Gauguin, Monet and even Picasso.

Can Mick from Murray Hill be right or has he lost the plot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
It depends on what you're looking for. You may love the Guggenheim (NYC) if you go and you may hate MoMA. Or, you may love MoMA and hate the Guggenheim.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:29 PM

113 posts, read 291,649 times
Do not over look the fact that the Guggenheim itself is a marvelous work of art, designed by one of the greatest architects ever: Frank Lloyd Wright.

I have not been to MoMA since the renovation, but I liked them both equally for different reasons. I wouldn't say that one is exponentially better than the other.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM

332 posts, read 521,580 times
The Guggenheim has a very small area dedicated to the permamanent collection. Most of the museum (the spiral) is devoted to temporary exhibits, which are often IMHO too strange. It is an amazing building though. MOMA has multiple large floors dedicated to an extremely comprehensive permanent collection. It can be a total zoo though, and feels a bit sterile. Personally I prefer the Met more than either....

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM

11 posts, read 27,977 times
Yes, I would definitely chose MOMA over Guggenheim. Guggenheim building is worth seeing for its architectural value, but their permanent collection is somewhat of a letdown. MOMA has a lot more to offer in terms of their exhibits. I believe Guggenheim is free on Sat nights so maybe you can check it out then, otherwise not worth $20...

Old 07-12-2011, 12:32 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
The Guggenheim has a very small area dedicated to the permamanent collection. Most of the museum (the spiral) is devoted to temporary exhibits, which are often IMHO too strange. It is an amazing building though. MOMA has multiple large floors dedicated to an extremely comprehensive permanent collection. It can be a total zoo though, and feels a bit sterile. Personally I prefer the Met more than either....

The Met is amazing.... We go there often and every time we go, we spend hours looking at the beautiful art works, the exhibits, etc. Love it!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:23 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaz View Post
I asked an expat Aussie friend who now lives in Murray Hill whether he preferred the Guggenheim or the MoMA. He told me not to waste my time visiting the Guggenheim, that the only Guggenheim worth the visit was the one in Bilbao.

I've checked the permanent exhibitions online, the Guggenheim has Cezzane, Gauguin, Monet and even Picasso.

Can Mick from Murray Hill be right or has he lost the plot?
The MoMA has Les Demoiselles d'Avignon. Not a Picasso, the Picasso. There’s no comparison between permanent collections. If you like Modern Art, go to the MoMA.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Well said....The Guggenheim bldg is a fabulous work of architecture and not just to look at from outside. It makes for both interesting viewing of art as well as an artistic experience just walking the spiral...and

...each has something wonderful to offer the art viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjap View Post
Do not over look the fact that the Guggenheim itself is a marvelous work of art, designed by one of the greatest architects ever: Frank Lloyd Wright.

I have not been to MoMA since the renovation, but I liked them both equally for different reasons. I wouldn't say that one is exponentially better than the other.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
It depends on the show. Both the Guggenheim and MOMA have thematic transient shows that run for a month or two. If the theme grabs you, it's terrific, if not, NOT.

The Guggenheim uses more of its space for these transient shows so more is dependent on the quality of a particular show.

Both museums have permanent collections, MOMA being huge compared to the Guggenheim.
If you are interested in art since 1890, you will NOT see a better collection than MOMA's anywhere in the United States, perhaps in the world. And this MOMA permanent collection is available 12 months of the year.
The first time an art lover experiences the MOMA collection he will be tempted to fall on his knees and give thanks.

Alas, it's 20 bucks though.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 22,109 times
I would overwhelmingly have to vote for MoMA. Sometimes the Guggenheim has a cool temp exhibit, and the building is worth seeing once, but the permanent exhibit at MoMA is outstanding, and then they have the courtyard which is great to bring a book and read/tourist watch. It's pricey, but if you still have a student id laying around you can get a student membership for 50 and I think the basic one is less than 100, which I love because whenever I'm midtown I can pop in for 20 minutes (or even just use the bathroom).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City