Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:18 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,565,902 times

Advertisements

I would also recommend test driving the routes yourself and trying out a couple public transportation options before you start your job. You might find a route that you prefer and know how much time to give yourself in the morning.

Are you new to NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,109,601 times
By transit, I would say to take the Q39 or Q67 bus to Queens Plaza. From there, take the (R) train to Lexington Avenue/59th Street.

Once there, go downstairs for the Bronx-bound (5) train. You can get off at Gun Hill Road (make sure the train is going to Dyre Avenue, not 238th Street). Once at Gun Hill Road, make your way to Hammersley Avenue and continue until you hit Grace Avenue.

If you can make your way to the Q58 or Q59 bus lines, you can use them instead to connect to the (R). The trip may speed up a little bit.

The whole trip should take around 1.5 hours.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,776,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
By transit, I would say to take the Q39 or Q67 bus to Queens Plaza. From there, take the (R) train to Lexington Avenue/59th Street.

Once there, go downstairs for the Bronx-bound (5) train. You can get off at Gun Hill Road (make sure the train is going to Dyre Avenue, not 238th Street). Once at Gun Hill Road, make your way to Hammersley Avenue and continue until you hit Grace Avenue.

If you can make your way to the Q58 or Q59 bus lines, you can use them instead to connect to the (R). The trip may speed up a little bit.

I generally agree, just wanted to add that you may be able to just hop on the Q58/59 bus which travels all the way down Grand Avenue and get off at Queens Blvd (I think its still the Q58? Its been years since I sat on a NYC bus). Once you are on Queens Blvd, you can pick up the "R" train that goes to Lexington Ave/59th Street.

I am not sure where in Maspeth you live, but I used to live right off 69th Street and Grand Avenue. If you live closer to Maurice Avenue, you can pick up the Q58 off Fresh Pond Road.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:25 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,893,450 times
You could also try the Q58 LIMITED and transfer to the Q44 LIMITED at the last stop. The Q44 goes to the Bronx.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:49 AM

652 posts, read 1,272,739 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Grace Avenue is in the Northeast Bronx.It is totally impractical to get there by going over the 59th St Bridge into Manhattan and then going over the Willis Ave Bridge into The Bronx and then driving all the way up and over.It would take f'ing forever.

Grace Ave is very close to I 95 near Co Op city so you really have to use either the Throg's Neck or The Whitestone to the Hutch to 95. I have a feeling the Whitestone might be your best bet.

You could also take the 5 train to Baychester Ave and walk a few blocks to Grace but it's a long ride.Baychester is the next to the last stop on the 5....45 or 50 mins from midtown.
5 train from where?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:08 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

where is the Q39 and 67 Q58 59bus? I live by Perry Ave. how often buses run? I am not new to NY but I am new to public transportation and I just moved here.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 AM

88 posts, read 310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
where is the Q39 and 67 Q58 59bus? I live by Perry Ave. how often buses run? I am not new to NY but I am new to public transportation and I just moved here.
I don't understand why you have not used the Trip Planner + function I told you about very early in this thread. A lot of this back and forth re. public tramsport is not necessary if you would just try that.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:33 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
I don't understand why you have not used the Trip Planner + function I told you about very early in this thread. A lot of this back and forth re. public tramsport is not necessary if you would just try that.

i used the trip planner but your options seems easier and quicker.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM

88 posts, read 310,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
i used the trip planner but your options seems easier and quicker.
I have not posted any options, for one simple reason: I don't know specifically where you live in Maspeth.

That's why I again suggest you use the Trip Planner. If you have used it, satisfy my curiosity and copy and paste what it told you to do.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,546,330 times
Here's the Queens bus map: http://mta.info/nyct/maps/busqns.pdf

Subway map: http://mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

Schedules for the nearest bus routes(Q18, Q58, Q59, Q67) to your location:

Q18-> http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q018cur.pdf

Q58-> http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedul...ns/q058cur.pdf

Q59-> http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedul...ns/q059cur.pdf

Q67-> http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q067cur.pdf

Future reference-> mta.info | Home Page

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would go with the Q18 to the Woodside- 61 St. station for the 7 train to Grand Central & finally the 5 train to Baychester Av. You can do the Q18 to the Northern Blvd. station for the R train to Lexington Av station & transfer to the 5 train to Baychester Av., but the R is less frequent than the 7 train.

I suggest not taking the Q67. It's very infrequent & the Q58 to the Q44 for the 5 train is a painful trip in itself.

Last edited by 009; 07-15-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City