Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 06:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I doubt that it is NYC, to be totally honest. It is just fast paced and people do not want to put in the time and energy to be your friend, if anything. Forget about social networking sites. Get out there and pound the pavement and do something with yourself! Friendships are developed around mutual interests. Most times roommates do not really have anything in common anyway, other than the rent (and not even THAT much because a lot of roommates do not pay rent and always slip through the cracks). Most times co-workers are just really polite, because they have to see you 8 hours a day. Find a hobby or something and you will develop friendships over time.
Lately I notice alot of roomates backstab each other, they have issues such as jelousy and envy for the most part, its primarily with female roomates from other parts of America. For guys its who brings home the most poontang or not. Transplant roomates at my job always ask me for advice. MY best advice is for the roomates to be coed or bunk up with the oppsite sex. Hey an occasianal roomates with benefits might spring up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 06:27 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,221 times
I find it was easier to make friends in NYC back in the day (late 80's-early 2000's) people were more down to earth back then, now there's to much of the "Friends" and "Sex in the City" crowd. The Realness is gone.....

Old 07-16-2011, 06:32 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Triny33 View Post
I find it was easier to make friends in NYC back in the day (late 80's-early 2000's) people were more down to earth back then, now there's to much of the "Friends" and "Sex in the City" crowd. The Realness is gone.....
The realness of over 8 million people is gone?

Good grief...........

I mean really. How man damn friends does someone need? If you have a good 5 SOLID friends, you'll be good for a lifetime.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:49 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBob View Post
There's something like, what?, 1.5 million people on Manhattan island alone. If your roommates don't want to be more than roommates and your co-workers don't want to be more than co-workers then you need to think about what is the common item in this group? I have no idea who you are but I might suggest that you look within yourself to answer your question.
Ditto that 100%!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times
i met my two good friends on twitter of all places, and they are better than the friends i have had since childhood.. guess they coulda turned out to be killers but i'm still alive lol!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I guess I can sort of relate to the OP. In NYC I made a good number of friends but the relationships were all pretty shallow, with the exception of one (one of my roommates). It's easy to feel lost and alone when you don't feel like you're truly connecting with people and you're in a foreign environment to boot. I would suggest alcohol lol. Just ask people if they want to hang out and get drinks. It's the oldest way in the book to open a person up!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:27 PM

58 posts, read 117,663 times
Yup, I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned alcohol. You don't have to get intoxicated... A few drinks and people just start opening up like flowers. When was the last time you saw a group of people drinking and just sitting there quitely? Usually doesn't happen

Also, don't act needy. Act like you are independent, confident and in control (even if you are not). Act like they need you more than you need them even if that's not the case. People like that. Finally, listen to people's problems and at least pretend to empathize with them. Everyone has issues they need to get off their chest and need someone to listen. Usually this happens in the slightly later stage of a friendship though

Old 07-17-2011, 10:29 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Yo sometimes I made friends with people waiting online to get into a lounge or club. Im just a cool dude. Im well liked by natives, transplants except for immigrants sometimes.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:41 AM

12 posts, read 32,695 times
It's hard to make friends in almost every metropolitan city. NYC is no exception. I feel that ppl constantly try to assess your "worth" in under 30 seconds and pass you up if they don't think you can add "value" to them. It's a dog eat dog world out there.

Having said so, you must have patience when it comes to making friends. Be yourself, have confidence, put yourself out there. Eventually, like-minded will attract.

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,623 times

‪Just Keep Going, You Got Nothing To Lose‬‏ - YouTube - video about the isolation of a guy in NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: