Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 9,958 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I need help! I currently live in Austin, TX and am moving to NYC for employment. I grew up in CA and went to undergrad in the Phoenix area and now live in Austin. I know I can't afford to live in Manhattan but can someone give me any pointers about what to expect, where to live that is safe and about the subway system? Everyone I have met out here from New York is great! And everyone seems to love and miss the city. Am I going to have a complete culture shock? There are so many things I love about the city--the people, the food, the culture, the endless things to do but what is is like living there? I know it's expensive but here in Austin I worked my tail end off having a college degrees and with overtime, spent over $400.00 a month on gas and earned under 40 grand. My apt. which is a 1 bedroom is just under $700.00 a month . I have no children that need school so that is not a factor. Is there any place I can live that is a short commute via subway or train, that is safe, and where you don't have to worry about being isolated because being an "outsider"? Just general pointers good and bad would be greatly appreciated. I have researched on the net but nothing beats advice from those that have actually lived there. Especially those from Texas. Thanks so much in advance. I really apprecaite it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 01:56 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Do you have a job? How much do you expect to earn?

What is the saying? If you can make it here (NYC), then you can make it anywhere!

If you can't make it in Austin, then why NYC?

Old 07-17-2011, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 9,958 times
I am making it it here but am not happy here. It's boring really~ it has it's good points and the people are good but you can only drive around and see so many things before it gets old. I have a MA in counseling but no job as of yet. I wanted to move before I found a job-I have enough in savings to be o.k. for quite a while. I think I just want a change. There is so much to do in New York and I love everything about it. I can spend hours looking at the history on the net and that is just one section of the city. There is no culture in Austin, unless you count Texas history, which is interesting, but gets old after so much of it. All the New Yorkers and people from N.J. Love the area. They hate Texas and are only here because of circumstances. I just want to move to a great city and make a good living. I'm not expecting to get rich or famous. I just want to live in a great area and soak up the culture and hopefully be blissfully happy because of all it has to offer.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:24 PM

499 posts, read 793,814 times
Funny enough, some poster here just moved from NY to Austin for similar reasons. I guess you're his replacement. lol

Just don't have too high expectations. After the excitement of being here is gone, things can wear you down pretty quickly; especially if you're not in one of the better neighborhoods.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:51 PM

14 posts, read 19,390 times
You may experience some culture shock. NYers walk everywhere! I mean...everywhere. So, prepare to get worn out from walking so much. Also, we tend to walk fast. Expect to be bumped into and jostled. You can minimize this a bit by staying to the right side of anywhere you walk. That includes escalators, sidewalks, hallways, etc. Don't expect anyone to give room when you cross paths. That'll just result in you getting bumped into. I hope this doesn't scare you. It's only meant to give you a heads up. Also, don't take it personally. This place is fast paced and things go more smoothly when everyone is on the same page (which we never are). As for the subway system, don't let it intimidate you. I'd recommend downloading a subway map app for your phone. I have one on my phone and it has come in handy even for this lifelong resident. The system generally runs north to south and east to west in Manhattan and it covers most of the island. Oh yeah, in Manhattan aka "the city", generally, streets run east to west and avenues run north to south. I believe 5th Ave is the dividing line between east and west. So if you need to be at West 13th Street, you'll automatically know that it's west of 5th avenue. Downtown things get a bit more confusing for me as I tend to stay between 8th Street and 23rd Street. In the subway, you'll get on the wrong train and you'll be able to figure it out if you look at the map in the train or the map on your phone. Sometimes it'll be a little unclear where exactly you should go, but there are signs that help you determine which way to go. The signs will have arrows and say street names and/or trains you can transfer to. I'd recommend trying to figure things out on your own when you have time. I have gotten a little lost a few times and it has always helped me in the future. But don't be afraid to ask people for directions. They tend to be helpful, but occasionally they're wrong. You can always get a second opinion, just in case.

Western parts of Brooklyn and Queens are closest to the city and they also will cost more to live in compared with places that are a bit further away from the city. I'd recommend the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Clinton Hill, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Greenpoint and Williamsburg but it all depends on your budget. In Queens, I recommend Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside and Woodside. Check out rents on Craigslist for these areas. As a cheaper alternative, you could live in places like Forest Hills, Ozone Park and Rego Park which are all in Queens. They're further out, but they're cheaper and possibly safer as well.

I am currently entertaining the idea of leaving NYC. I've lived here for my entire life and I'm tired of the rush and I really need a change of scenery. This place is as fun as you make it. There are a ton of things to do. Great food on both ends of the price spectrum. In the summer there are so many free things to do including free concerts and free outdoor movies. A lot of museums have one free day per week year-round. You can find something to do pretty much at any time of the night. You should definitely get a second opinion from a transplant. A lot of us natives are itching to leave. One more thing, don't worry about being considered an outsider. There are so many people living in this city that aren't originally from here! That's what makes this city so diverse. People from all over the country and the world live here. I hope this helps! Feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions.

One more thing, be alert and aware always. It never hurts, it only helps.

Last edited by citygalincali?; 07-20-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
To the original OP, while i appreciate your enthusiasm about moving to this city... you haven't provided any information other than what you want from this city to help give us an idea of what you're looking to expect in terms of quality of living... What is the job position you're looking for? How much do you think you'll make? What other extra amenities do you need to live here? so forth and so on... If you think that $700.00 for a one bedroom in texas is alot... then no offense but you will not find anything in your price range over here unless you decide to live in the projects... Standards studio apartments in an okay neighborhood go from 900-1100 and 1 bedroom 1000-1200... and in better neighborhoods the prices are even more expensive... so that's why you have to first calculate the costs and see if NYC is right for you or post on here the answers to some of the questions I posed and we'll see if we can help you out...

Old 07-20-2011, 05:40 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
No job, nobody will rent to you.

Find a job, and move close to that until you're established enough to be making over 75K.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:40 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlheiskill View Post
I am making it it here but am not happy here. It's boring really~ it has it's good points and the people are good but you can only drive around and see so many things before it gets old. I have a MA in counseling but no job as of yet. I wanted to move before I found a job-I have enough in savings to be o.k. for quite a while. I think I just want a change. There is so much to do in New York and I love everything about it. I can spend hours looking at the history on the net and that is just one section of the city. There is no culture in Austin, unless you count Texas history, which is interesting, but gets old after so much of it. All the New Yorkers and people from N.J. Love the area. They hate Texas and are only here because of circumstances. I just want to move to a great city and make a good living. I'm not expecting to get rich or famous. I just want to live in a great area and soak up the culture and hopefully be blissfully happy because of all it has to offer.

whats good skills? i just move from nyc to austin 2 weeks ago! im an original nyc representative, its gonna suck if you dont have friends. you should convince a friend to move with you and get a nice two bedroom. if not your 700 + 400 = 1100 equals a just decent studio in queens or bk. austin is cool btw get ready for some miserable weather

Old 07-20-2011, 06:25 PM

14 posts, read 19,390 times
Another thing, there are a lot of public spaces where you can simply sit and read or people watch and hang with friends. And I meant that you can find things to do any time of day or night...not just night.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:56 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,074,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygalincali? View Post
Another thing, there are a lot of public spaces where you can simply sit and read or people watch and hang with friends. And I meant that you can find things to do any time of day or night...not just night.
I'd say that's true of Austin- and perhaps most cities of considerable size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City