Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:24 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,667,981 times

Advertisements

I'm flying to Atlanta Tuesday afternoon flight is at 12:59PM from LaGuardia to visit my mother who is terminally ill

I will have a full carry on wheels and a backpack on my back

Like dad(RIP), I am a maniac when i have to travel on a trip. Separation anxiety, last minute dread, foul moodswings, you name it i got it

I live at 252 street and Broadway in Riverdale, the #1 train is 10 blocks away

tho i have done the public transp coming home from the airport on a Saturday evening, i have never used it going to the airport

i would have to lug the luggage up the elevated train stairs, then take the 1 to 116th street to get the # M60 bus to the airport

in the past i have arrived, like dad, as much as 4 hours early to the airport. i find i could use that time to have something to eat, take care of nature, etc

any idea if you were my type what time you would leave (about 10 min walk to train, 30 minutes to 116, 48 mins to the airport)? i really want to avoid having to pay a cab again because money is tight(but on the other hand cab will get me there in 20 mins)

i also have the neurotic fear that all of a sudden the train or bus won't run that day or will break down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 PM

88 posts, read 310,989 times
If I were in your position, I'd take a cab. It's only money.

I hope you have a good visit.... best of luck to you.

Another option: take a cab for the first leg, take the bus the rest of the way. Save some of the cab fare, avoid climbing those stairs to the El.

Last edited by speedoo; 07-17-2011 at 05:55 PM.. Reason: add info.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,124,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I'm flying to Atlanta Tuesday afternoon flight is at 12:59PM from LaGuardia to visit my mother who is terminally ill

I will have a full carry on wheels and a backpack on my back

Like dad(RIP), I am a maniac when i have to travel on a trip. Separation anxiety, last minute dread, foul moodswings, you name it i got it

I live at 252 street and Broadway in Riverdale, the #1 train is 10 blocks away

tho i have done the public transp coming home from the airport on a Saturday evening, i have never used it going to the airport

i would have to lug the luggage up the elevated train stairs, then take the 1 to 116th street to get the # M60 bus to the airport

in the past i have arrived, like dad, as much as 4 hours early to the airport. i find i could use that time to have something to eat, take care of nature, etc

any idea if you were my type what time you would leave (about 10 min walk to train, 30 minutes to 116, 48 mins to the airport)? i really want to avoid having to pay a cab again because money is tight(but on the other hand cab will get me there in 20 mins)

i also have the neurotic fear that all of a sudden the train or bus won't run that day or will break down
You can take the BxM3 express bus to 125th Street, and then take the M60 bus to the airport. It will be faster and you won't have to deal with the steps. I'm not sure how that part of Harlem is, though. 125th Street is being revitalized, so it should be alright.

The fare on the BxM3 is $5.50, and the travel time to 125th Street should be around 30 minutes, unless you hit traffic (http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/bxm3cur.pdf). You'll save some time as you'll be further down the M60's route.

You'll get a free transfer to the M60 if you use a MetroCard, so it will be much cheaper than a taxi.

You can take a taxi ride to the Riverdale Metro-North station, and then take that to Harlem for the M60, but it will be more expensive, and I don't think it will be much faster.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM

Default good idea

would only be $21 to go to 125th as opposed to $42 to LaGuardia

same cost to go to 125 and B'way or lex, Lex is closer but getting a seat at B'way on the M 60 would be a better chance. do you think the M 60 would be packed at lex at 7AM?

i've taken a bike up the subway stairs and i could wheel the carry on up the stairs(could it break the wheels?)

watch this decision kill me, being the drama king!!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,336 times
Why not take the 1 Train to Penn Station and hop on a shuttle bus? It's 12.00 to LGA.

New York Airport Service Transportation - JFK- LGA- Manhattan

Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Call a car and take a cab!

If cash is an issue, call a black car and use a credit card.

I really can not comprehend this fixation with public transport. Silly.

Luck!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:26 PM

Default thanks checkmate

totally forgot about the express bus. 125th and 5th. any places for a carry on on wheels on the express bus? last time i rode the exp bus was 15 years ago

Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Default i just called the MTA

they say you can't get the M 60 at 5th Avenue you have to walk to 3rd Ave after the BxM drops you off

Old 07-17-2011, 10:53 PM

113 posts, read 291,623 times
I take the M60 to and from LGA all the time. I used to catch it on Amsterdam, before it made it's turn on 125th, when I used to live in Hell's Kitchen, but I've also caught it as far east as Lex, when I take the 4 or 5 from GCT near work.

When you ride the M60, my first piece of advice would be this: wait. I've found that if you're waiting for a while -- long enough for a crowd to be present -- there will be at least 2 and sometimes 3 M60 buses in short succession. I will usually let the first one go, filled to the brim, and wait for the one that comes just a few minutes after, if that, and I will get a seat and plenty of room on the small luggage rack, even when I'm getting on at Lex. From farther west on 125th, it should be even easier.

I never would've realized this until one day, I was waiting for the Bx15 on 125th and watched a series of M60s rolling by in quick succession. The next time I took the M60, I tried it, just as an experiment, and it worked.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:04 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
24/7 service on both the train and bus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City