Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM

224 posts, read 1,085,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
Move to another car before it escalates? As a Hispanic who grew up in the hood, that's what I would've done. They beat him up because he told them to "shut up". White, black, or latino, he would've got a beat down for that. If you get roudy with some reckless kids about 5 deep, chances are nowadays your gonna get stomped out. period. The way folks are these days, he's lucky that's all that happened. You're in a closed-in space with nowhere to go. Don't call people out when you have no escape route. I put up with loud mouth idiots for years on the bus and light-rail growing up. At the end of the day it's just a few minutes of your life. This is no different than the lady who got beat up for calling those 2 black girls animals for eating on the train.
Maybe you would, but as i've said in earlier posts. I am a (currently out of work due to injury) construction worker and usually travel home with a few dudes who live around my part of Morris Park. I will not say no more, then we can all fight very well and I would have out right called them the s word or n word. you must have me mistaken. If I was on that train by myself and seen this guy get beat up, I would have stepped in, I am not afraid of a few bruises. I have been in fights my whole life. Nothing new to me, just none recent as I am now a grown man, but I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty on a bunch of little ghetto punks who cant fight fairly(he was brave to take on 4 guys by himself)

Dont twist the guys words around either, he asked them to "quiet down" after they called him white boy. Lets not act like he wouldnt have been messed with anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 01:09 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times
Seems like several people here think that because he stood up for himself and used the same language back to them, it made it a just beating.

Also, just because he was out numbered he cant say anything either?

Talking back to a group of people doesn't mean you should expect to get a beating by a pack of wolves. I can't even imagine being with a group of friends, someone asking us to quiet down, and then ripping them with racial slurs and pounding the **** of of ONE person. Sounds pretty animalistic to me.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
Seems like several people here think that because he stood up for himself and used the same language back to them, it made it a just beating.

Also, just because he was out numbered he cant say anything either?

Talking back to a group of people doesn't mean you should expect to get a beating by a pack of wolves. I can't even imagine being with a group of friends, someone asking us to quiet down, and then ripping them with racial slurs and pounding the **** of of ONE person. Sounds pretty animalistic to me.
Exactly. That is not normal.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:36 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
To the posters who cried racism racism on this thread and dedicated over a thousand posts on the front page news on this incident check out the facts that are now being released...

Brooklyn man accused of joining in subway assault freed without bail

Read the article and tell me if this guy isn't starting to lose his credibility in your eyes... It's amazing how as soon as something like this happens, doesn't matter if the points brought out on the article were completely fabricated or exaggerated, all that matters is that it was black vs. white... and this goes for both sides... people need to put away there prejudices for a minute and think clearly before rushing to conclusions...

Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
To the posters who cried racism racism on this thread and dedicated over a thousand posts on the front page news on this incident check out the facts that are now being released...

Read the article and tell me if this guy isn't starting to lose his credibility in your eyes... It's amazing how as soon as something like this happens, doesn't matter if the points brought out on the article were completely fabricated or exaggerated, all that matters is that it was black vs. white... and this goes for both sides... people need to put away there prejudices for a minute and think clearly before rushing to conclusions...
What did you expect the lawyer to say, we will have to wait until the end and more stuff comes out until you make your opinion

Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 PM

288 posts, read 566,607 times
Quote:
really sobroguy, aren't we past misinterpreting posts already...

You're gonna tell me that the way the chinese, japanese, italians, irish, hispanics and black folks came into neighborhoods is the same way these hipsters have moved in... they showed the same level of respect that other ethnic cultures did when they moved in...

you're gonna tell me that in the 50s, the reaction that white folks had towards black folk moving into their neighborhoods was the same exact situation that is happening now in these low-income minority areas with typically white hipsters moving in and immediately demanding changes to the neighborhood and getting attended to asap... Harlem now has guards on nearly all train stops and the Dekalb ave train stop which I live by in Bushwick had graffitti on the stop for nearly 3 decades and was untouched and only last year was it cleaned after the hipsters that moved into this location demanded it be cleaned up... doesn't matter that locals had been fighting to get graffitti off the walls for years (not me personally, i know i'll catch heat for this, but some of the work these graffitti artists used to do back in the day was amazing... the little chicken scratch they do now with their tags and crap is ugly and needs to go though IMO)...

Fact is, you cannot compare anything or any group to the way hipsters have come into this city... you can't compare reasons for why they moved here, can't compare the way they moved in, can't compare the level of respect they have as opposed to other groups, cannot compare anything... You yourself said people like skidude were trolls meanwhile he doesn't speak for a small group, he speaks for the masses... in their minds they deserve to take over every ethnic groups neighborhood whether it be irish italian, hispanic, black etc. because they are far more educated than us native New Yorkers and that is the biggest problem people have with them and that is why we see things like reverse racism take place now way more than recent previous years...

doesn't make it right as i've pointed out, but it does give you an understanding of why certain things happen and until they realize they are no better than anyone else just like other groups that came into this country did, they won't be met with such hostility... (This is not all of them, but a large number of them...)
Every single thing in this post is purely anecdotal and doesn't represent reality as it is. As someone who always demands objectivity or links to opinions that differ from yours, please provide any sensible sources to your claims.

But I know what's coming next. "you misinterpret me" and "go back and read my post again".

Old 07-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,687,072 times
bull**** thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times
Quote:

What does this have to do with racism that he identified the wrong man? He did after all get a couple of hits to the head, I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to think 100% clearly. Ever been hit in the head before? Nevermind the guy is also blind in one eye.

Anyway, is the majority of this thread really about whether this was a racist attack or not? You can't deny racism is a driving factor in this, perhaps from both parties.

Edit - This guy still shouldn't be scott free. The victim was kicked several times as well. I find it unlikely a 54 year old man with clean record would do this, but you don't need a fist to do damage.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
really sobroguy, aren't we past misinterpreting posts already...

You're gonna tell me that the way the chinese, japanese, italians, irish, hispanics and black folks came into neighborhoods is the same way these hipsters have moved in... they showed the same level of respect that other ethnic cultures did when they moved in...

you're gonna tell me that in the 50s, the reaction that white folks had towards black folk moving into their neighborhoods was the same exact situation that is happening now in these low-income minority areas with typically white hipsters moving in and immediately demanding changes to the neighborhood and getting attended to asap... Harlem now has guards on nearly all train stops and the Dekalb ave train stop which I live by in Bushwick had graffitti on the stop for nearly 3 decades and was untouched and only last year was it cleaned after the hipsters that moved into this location demanded it be cleaned up... doesn't matter that locals had been fighting to get graffitti off the walls for years (not me personally, i know i'll catch heat for this, but some of the work these graffitti artists used to do back in the day was amazing... the little chicken scratch they do now with their tags and crap is ugly and needs to go though IMO)...

Fact is, you cannot compare anything or any group to the way hipsters have come into this city... you can't compare reasons for why they moved here, can't compare the way they moved in, can't compare the level of respect they have as opposed to other groups, cannot compare anything... You yourself said people like skidude were trolls meanwhile he doesn't speak for a small group, he speaks for the masses... in their minds they deserve to take over every ethnic groups neighborhood whether it be irish italian, hispanic, black etc. because they are far more educated than us native New Yorkers and that is the biggest problem people have with them and that is why we see things like reverse racism take place now way more than recent previous years...

doesn't make it right as i've pointed out, but it does give you an understanding of why certain things happen and until they realize they are no better than anyone else just like other groups that came into this country did, they won't be met with such hostility... (This is not all of them, but a large number of them...)
Truth. Besides years ago, I know how hollywood movies and the transplants hype it up. tensions werent as bad as they make it out to be, everyone stayed in their own neighborhoods, whites here, blacks here, hispanics here, chinese here, etc. thats how it was, everybody felt comfortable with their own. now-a-days you see people moving into communities that were once all black or all white and its messing things up, they think theyre "changing things for the better" when theyre really not, and actually raising rents, forcing us all out and they seem to think they know whats good for us, like theyre highly educated and we are morons. back in the day, you had neighborhood fights white kids vs black kids, etc etc etc..
usually when people got out of high school, all of that petty stuff ended. but these hipsters still like to bring up how racist, ghetto and crappy the "old new york" was, when it really wasn't.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Grigou you take other people's posts that agree with yours as factual nearly all the time but as soon as someone who has no need to lie posts a reality that you are incompable of admitting to... you look to disregard it or throw it under the bus... typical of the supporters for this group of people who are smarter than all of us simple folk native new yorkers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City