Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 11:56 AM

84 posts, read 144,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Aren't there US Census, NYC gov, or American Community Survey stats on East Williamsburg which would flat out say whether Puerto Ricans are 50% or more of the neighborhood?

I sometimes use this really cool site called city-data and I looked up East Williamsburg on it. It's using 2010 data, I believe, and it currently has the Hispanic (any race) population of East Williamsburg at about half. Now if the entire Hispanic population in East Williamsburg is Puerto Rican and nothing else and there haven't been any demographic changes since 2010 that would increase any other non-Puerto Rican group's proportion of the population, then Puerto Ricans making 50% of the population is true.

So, are the following two necessary conditions both true?
1) All hispanic people in East Williamsburg are Puerto Rican
2) The proportion of non-Puerto Ricans has not grown since 2010

From what I can tell, neither of those are true so I don't see how Puerto Ricans can be the majority population of East Williamsburg.
In your next comment, post the link of the 2010 U.S. Census statistics about the entire Hispanic population being approximately 50% within East Williamsburg and the statistics of the demographic changes from 2010 - present within East Williamsburg as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:27 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hablodecorazon2013 View Post
For statistics evidence, speak to an official U.S. Census employee to provide you with accurate population percentages. Speaking about being rational, learn Spanish then visit East Williamsburg to be able to communicate with the hispanics that you will see in any Saturday afternoon in the summertime, ask them if they are Puertorican or not and count how many are Puertorican and how many are not. You will then feel you visiting Puertorico without having to buy a plane ticket and you'll get to socialize with new people in your life, the Puertoricans that you care less about. You'll then learn that we are likable, decent, respectful and high status people and you'll then have a different mindset afterwards.
You know when you make ASSumptions, you make an ASS of yourself. I was an exchange student in Paraguay, studied Spanish Literature (along with History) at Cornell. So there's no need to for me to learn Spanish when I already speak, read, and write it.

With that said, its not my job to go around asking random people what their ethnicity is . Honestly, what do I care?

I do know that when I lived in Brooklyn, in Bedstuy, I met a lot of Mexicans, Ecuadorians, and other Hispanics in that area. I did not ask their national origin, they told me. I'm not going to go around to poll the percentage of who is what, but there are a lot of other Hispanic groups in that area.

With that said, if you aren't from a community, you'll never be a part of it, belong, or really be that concerned about it. Its just not you. I don't care about Puerto Rican stuff or Hispanic stuff as much as you do because its just not my identity. I learned Spanish for academic purposes. At the same time, I'm stuck up and snooty, and tend to prefer hanging around hipsters (of any race) as they tend to have higher levels of education and are similar to be in that regards. So if I go to Williamsburg, I will be in the trendy places in West Williamburg, and I'm not going to interact much with people en el barrio.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You know when you make ASSumptions, you make an ASS of yourself. I was an exchange student in Paraguay, studied Spanish Literature (along with History) at Cornell. So there's no need to for me to learn Spanish when I already speak, read, and write it.

I grew up in Jackson Heights, a very South American neighborhood (there are some Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Mexicans, and Central Americans there).

With that said, its not my job to go around asking random people what their ethnicity is . Honestly, what do I care?

I do know that when I lived in Brooklyn, in Bedstuy, I met a lot of Mexicans, Ecuadorians, and other Hispanics in that area. I did not ask their national origin, they told me. I'm not going to go around to poll the percentage of who is what, but there are a lot of other Hispanic groups in that area.
Well learn fluent Spanish, so that if you decide that you want to know more about East Williamsburg, you don't have to feel any assumptions of being an ass of yourself trying to communicate with the Puertoricans and other hispanics in East williamsburg. You don't have to worry about them calling you "Gringo" with broken spanish. It's your choice and I'am just trying to help you save an embarrassing on a hot Saturday Afternoon if you decide to visit East Williamsburg for statistics purposes.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Well learn fluent Spanish, so that if you decide that you want to know more about East Williamsburg, you don't have to feel any assumptions of being an ass of yourself trying to communicate with the Puertoricans and other hispanics in East williamsburg. You don't have to worry about them calling you "Gringo" with broken spanish. It's your choice and I'am just trying to help you save an embarrassing on a hot Saturday Afternoon if you decide to visit East Williamsburg for statistics purposes.
Why would I go out of my way to communicate with poor people in East Williamsburg? Why would I care if they call me gringo? I really could care less what they think, I have NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. I will say generally, though I tend to hang out with people with decent careers and money. So East Williamsburg is not my social scene. At all. Not interested in destitution.

And I'm not anti Puerto Rican or any other group. I have friends of all races. With that said, lets be honest, Puerto Ricans are a marginalized group in NYC. I could say the same for a lot of other groups as well. So I prefer to be around people who are more of the American mainstream. That way you tend to get learn about better opportunities for jobs, among other things (And I do mean professional or career jobs, not rock bottom jobs).

And since you haven't spoken to me in Spanish, you've no idea how fluent I am or not.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 PM

I will go out and say it further. In any high paying job in NYC, (and I'm not race baiting, I'm Black) the majority of the people will be white and your foreign language skills for the most part will not be utilize.

I did learn Spanish in the context of going to a liberal arts school, where we had to demonstrate proficiency in other language. But in the real working world, this is America, and people at the top are not known for their language skills. They just aren't. Even when you do meet other non whites, everyone is going to be speaking to each other in English.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Why would I go out of my way to communicate with poor people in East Williamsburg? Why would I care if they call me gringo? I really could care less what they think, I have NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. I will say generally, though I tend to hang out with people with decent careers and money. So East Williamsburg is not my social scene. At all. Not interested in destitution.

And since you haven't spoken to me in Spanish, you've no idea how fluent I am or not.
So if you feel that you ready to socialize in Spanish, be my guest and take a risk in East Williamsburg if you assume that you that you could bring low Puertorican population statistics within East Williamsburg to city-data.com based on a street survey. Make sure you drink a Red Bull energy drink before you do it because you gonna have to speak a lot of spanish for hours before you could get any statistics.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I will go out and say it further. In any high paying job in NYC, (and I'm not race baiting, I'm Black) the majority of the people will be white and your foreign language skills for the most part will not be utilize.

I did learn Spanish in the context of going to a liberal arts school, where we had to demonstrate proficiency in other language. But in the real working world, this is America, and people at the top are not known for their language skills. They just aren't. Even when you do meet other non whites, everyone is going to be speaking to each other in English.
And you will still be called "Gringo" with broken Spanish by the Puertoricans, African Americans and all other hispanics in East Williamsburg . Unless you grew up with us, there is nothing you could do about it.

Last edited by hablodecorazon2013; 06-16-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
And you will still be called "Gringo" with broken Spanish by the Puertoricans, African Americans and all other hispanics in East Williamsburg . Unless you grew up with us, there is nothing you could do about it.
I don't hang with those low lives, so again, why do you think I care what they would call me? In return I'd call you uneducated filth and enjoy the Section 8 and NYCHA cuts. Thank the lord more are coming! I wonder what will the community do without these subsidies? I know, its bye, bye miss American pie, took the chevy to the levy but the levy was dry......

Old 06-16-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I don't hang with those low lives, so again, why do you think I care what they would call me? In return I'd call you uneducated filth and enjoy the Section 8 and NYCHA cuts. Thank the lord more are coming! I wonder what will the community do without these subsidies? I know, its bye, bye miss American pie, took the chevy to the levy but the levy was dry......
Have a nice day.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:39 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Does East Williamsburg exist or is it a real estate tactic to attract white people? I always called that area Bushwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City